Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-02-2013, 17:11   #1
Green Dragoon

My LGD had FFL pulled: Newtown content

Went to my local shop today. This is where Adam Lanza's mother bought her AR15.

That sale was legal. When the ATF went through inventory though, they had found several firearms missing.

A couple of months ago, a shop lifter also just walked out with a .50 cal rifle.

Last edited by Green Dragoon; 03-02-2013 at 17:11..
Green Dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 17:30   #2
RonS

One of the few businesses where small paperwork errors can have big consequences.

Also an excellent example of selective enforcement.
Old 03-02-2013, 17:35   #3
Green Dragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
One of the few businesses where small paperwork errors can have big consequences.

Also an excellent example of selective enforcement.
it was all bad timing for the store. When the ATF showed up because of Newtown, the East Windsor police were there investigating shoplift thefts. One guy had simply walked out of the store on a couple of occasions with weapons and without being detected.
Old 03-02-2013, 17:36   #4
harlenm

Riverview has had legal trouble for a long time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
harlenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:40   #5
Green Dragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlenm View Post
Riverview has had legal trouble for a long time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
right you are. It was reported that when the ATF did an inventory, there were twelve firearms missing.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:45   #6
Gun Shark

Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragoon View Post
Went to my local shop today. This is where Adam Lanza's mother bought her AR15.

That sale was legal. When the ATF went through inventory though, they had found several firearms missing.

A couple of months ago, a shop lifter also just walked out with a .50 cal rifle.
How does one "just walk out" with a .50 caliber rifle or any weapon for that matter? That's one bold thief and unobservant staff.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." --Thomas Jefferson

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
Gun Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:45   #7
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

If the FBI walked into any (large) regional office of the ATF tomorrow at noon, after announcing said impending inspection today, chances are they would find more than a dozen guns that could not be immediately accounted for.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:46   #8
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Shark View Post
How does one "just walk out" with a .50 caliber rifle or any weapon for that matter? That's one bold thief and unobservant staff.

I agree completely. After the 1st theft, you would think someone would now put a VHS tape in the antiquated video recording system! (pure assumptions here on my part )
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:53   #9
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote:

I know of one gun store in Greenbrier, TN that leaves all their cases open during business hours. It's slammed in there a few times through out the day, so they just leave the cases open so they don't have to open them every time somebody wants to hold one.

You could literally reach behind the counter, grab as many handguns as you could fit in your pockets and walk out. Not a single person would ever be the wiser.

On top of that, they leave all of their used rifles and shotguns on racks in the middle of the store. You can pick them up and inspect them at will. They are also about 20 feet from the door, right beside the open shelves of ammo.

I can't believe they are still doing this. I've been going there for over 5 years and it's been like that since day 1. It has since burnt down, but is reopened now. I'm curious if they have come up with a better system now. I doubt it. They never seemed to care before.

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:05   #10
SGT HATRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff733 View Post
I know of one gun store in Greenbrier, TN that leaves all their cases open during business hours. It's slammed in there a few times through out the day, so they just leave the cases open so they don't have to open them every time somebody wants to hold one.

You could literally reach behind the counter, grab as many handguns as you could fit in your pockets and walk out. Not a single person would ever be the wiser.

On top of that, they leave all of their used rifles and shotguns on racks in the middle of the store. You can pick them up and inspect them at will. They are also about 20 feet from the door, right beside the open shelves of ammo.

I can't believe they are still doing this. I've been going there for over 5 years and it's been like that since day 1. It has since burnt down, but is reopened now. I'm curious if they have come up with a better system now. I doubt it. They never seemed to care before.

This sounds like every cabelas I've been to... Other than the 20' to the door...
Old 03-03-2013, 07:07   #11
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT HATRED View Post
This sounds like every cabelas I've been to... Other than the 20' to the door...
Yeah, all it would take is to have somebody in a running car at the door and you could make so much money it's ridiculous.

I still can't believe they've ever thought this is ok.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:42   #12
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
If the FBI walked into any (large) regional office of the ATF tomorrow at noon, after announcing said impending inspection today, chances are they would find more than a dozen guns that could not be immediately accounted for.
I doubt it. They would be accounted for on paper.... Now physical locations are a different story.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:16   #13
THEPOPE
Nibb

Two years ago, I think it was, the local 'Wall-Mart' of outdoors gear, Gander Mountain, lost 3 , yes, 3 AR-15's by walk-ins that simply tucked the first one under a long coat, walked out....

The gun shop portion of that shop is far in the rear of the store, and zombie-loke workers wandering about aimlessly, NO ONE STOPPED HIM.....

Sooooooooo, he went in again, same day, tucked TWO under same coat, simply walked out...again, no one noticed...

Heads rolled, staff fired, started over...none of the stolen arms were recovered as I recall...

astounding, really....i am out.....I just lit an M-80 firecracker, criminals scattered...

fullest extent of the LAW...
THEPOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:28   #14
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

Quote:

.................................................................................................... ......

Sounds a lot like one of my local dealers....although the staff (normally one guy) is pretty sharp and keeps a close eye on things.

I like the idea of being able to check out a used rifle without having to ask permission every time.

The new and used high dollar stuff is behind the counter along with the premium ammo. But still enough guns and ammo on the shelves and racks open to the public to arm a small Central American coupe...

But back to the original post....yeah...looks like that the agents were on a witch hunt and had to find something, even if it's not related to the crazy guy and his Sandy Hook murders.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:06   #15
gatorboy

Quote:

I would'nt step foot in that store. Forget dishonest, people are too stupid for something not to go terribly wrong.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:09   #16
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
I would'nt step foot in that store. Forget dishonest, people are too stupid for something not to go terribly wrong.
They always have a great selection of the blue labeled Glocks. That's the only reason I go there.

Old 03-03-2013, 14:42   #17
droidfire

Quote:
They always have a great selection of the blue labeled Glocks. That's the only reason I go there.
Well, that's a hard one to argue with. Not many stores even have them, let alone a good selection.
droidfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 16:20   #18
pizza_pablo
USN Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidfire View Post
Well, that's a hard one to argue with. Not many stores even have them, let alone a good selection.
I called mine, last Thursday. I wanted a Gen 4 23.
All they had was one 36.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:36   #19
Green Dragoon

Quote:

Riverview had their used, long-guns like that too. The .50 cal (with scope and bipod), was sitting on a glass counter top. It may have been a McMillan....just as long anyway.

So a guy (with mental issues), walks in, picks it up and walks out. The staff was apparently so busy that that they didn't see.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:17   #20
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Shouldn't be any such thing as a federal firearms license. The shop's biggest concern should be the lost money.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:20   #21
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Quote:

If you're able to chamber a round you can pretty much walk out with anything you want

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:28   #22
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Shouldn't be any such thing as a federal firearms license. The shop's biggest concern should be the lost money.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsbear View Post
If you're able to chamber a round you can pretty much walk out with anything you want

Old 03-04-2013, 11:32   #23
mgs
Always Carrying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragoon View Post
right you are. It was reported that when the ATF did an inventory, there were twelve firearms missing.
Better record than the FBI & ATF. They lose weapons/laptops/handguns all the time. Some full auto!
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 14:38   #24
Green Dragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs View Post
Better record than the FBI & ATF. They lose weapons/laptops/handguns all the time. Some full auto!
Fair point! Maybe they don't like the competition.