Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-01-2013, 15:48   #1
cesaros

new Nexus 4

Bought two Nexus 4 phones last week (for me and my wife), shipped to me in 2 days (thanks Google!)

Wow this phone blows away anything I've used before...Android Jellybean is pretty nice. The unlocked Wi-Fi hotspot is nice as well.

I've never been a Google whore, but after syncing all my stuff with Google...I'll gladly feed the giant, because Google is on the right track.

I'm only going to get a rear glass protector and bumper case. I hate bulky case skins.

I use Straight Talk (AT&T) Unlimited plan. $45, no contract...It works, and gets better service where I live than the Straight Talk (TMobile)...plus I can disconnect whenever I want and still use Google Talk via Wi-Fi.

If anyone was considering this phone, I highly suggest it....Get the 16GB version.

The pen IS mightier than the sword; but when you run out of ink, I will be ready with plenty of ammo.
cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 17:15   #2
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

I've been happy with mine.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:31   #3
sappy13

i almost bought one a week or two ago. I figured buy it, sell mine when it comes, and then dump it for something else when att has a phone i want. Not having true 4g was kinda a bummer though.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:05   #4
audiomechanic

The lack of 4G is the one thing scaring me off from the Nexus. That and no SD card slot for additional storage, although I'm not even using 1/2 of my 32GB SD card now so that point might be moot just based on my usage.
audiomechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:16   #5
boomhower

The lack of 4G sucks but makes it the perfect prepaid phone since prepaid services don't offer 4G. The price tag is very good for a top end phone.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:07   #6
stolivar

not true

I get 4G on Straight talk.

enough said

steve
stolivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:51   #7
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
The lack of 4G sucks but makes it the perfect prepaid phone since prepaid services don't offer 4G. The price tag is very good for a top end phone.
I think HSPA+ is considered "4G". Not really sure. I've still got a Galaxy nexus. I average around 8-10 MB down and I've seen upwards of 14 a few times.

Plenty of speed if you ask me. Works great for me and I love not having a contract.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:04   #8
audiomechanic

8-10 MB down?! That's fast even for 4G! And on a Galaxy Nexus?

What service provider are you running with?

Sent from my orifice.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:35   #9
cesaros

T-Mobile has the nexus 4 with 4g. It does have the ability to get it...before the recent update to android, people were changing the network themselves to tap into 4g service

Nexus4

The pen IS mightier than the sword; but when you run out of ink, I will be ready with plenty of ammo.
cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:01   #10
audiomechanic

Sex. I'm debating on getting the N4 or wait for the N5. I'll probably wait for the N5 because it's rumored to have 32gb internal storage instead of 16Gb.

Gotta wait till June when my contract with Verizon is up anyway. I'll stick with my rooted Droid Charge till then. Farking contracts.

Sent from my orifice.

Last edited by audiomechanic; 03-04-2013 at 10:05..
Old 03-04-2013, 13:19   #11
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomechanic View Post
8-10 MB down?! That's fast even for 4G! And on a Galaxy Nexus?

What service provider are you running with?

Sent from my orifice.
T-Mobile on their Prepaid plan. I use the $60 one with 2GB of 4G data. I don't typically use more than a couple hundred megs so that's good for me. I work from home so I have wifi, and all of my friends houses have wifi. Unless I'm traveling I don't use the network data too much, but I love that its fast and reliable when I do need it (used to be on sprint, the data was stupid slow and unreliable).

My fiancee uses more streaming Pandora at work so she is on their $70 plan that gives you 5GB.

Just ran a speedtest from my phone. 9.45 download and 1.55 upload.

Like I said, HSPA+ has plenty of speed. It isn't up there with LTE which is typically what people mean when they say "4G". But it is plenty fast.

There really isn't a great definition of what is and isn't 4G. Marketing has convinced people that it means LTE, but it doesn't. LTE is a 4G technology but it isn't the only one. 4G just stands for fourth generation.

Besides, don't believe those coverage maps. I have friends that went to Verizon because they wanted good LTE coverage and it's spotty at best in Columbus. If you aren't downtown or in Easton or Polaris (the two big shopping/recreation areas) you probably won't get any LTE service. Course the coverage maps says all of Columbus gets good LTE service.

Long story short, the lack of LTE isn't a problem. HSPA+ will do just fine for people and it has a much better footprint.

I can see some people's gripe about the lack of an SD card. For me, it isn't really a problem. I put a few gigs of music on my phone and that's about it. I like lots of storage on a tablet, but I really don't need that much on a phone.

Last edited by captainstormy; 03-04-2013 at 13:26..
captainstormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:58   #12
audiomechanic

Very good info! Gracias.

Sent from my orifice.
Old 03-05-2013, 15:51   #13
blk08c6

I've been an iPhone guy since they first came out. However I may be in the market for whatever the next Nexus is when it comes out. A friend has the Nexus 4 and I was very impressed with it (just from playing with it a bit).
blk08c6 is offline   Reply With Quote