Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 16:08   #701
GumbyDammit
Xtra CoCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Well, let's just agree that if you are a gun owner, and you aren't worried, you aren't informed.

Keep writing. It may not help, but it can't hurt.
I would add even those who have been worried haven't been worried enough.
The other night there was a loud argument in the hall outside my apartment while I was trying to sleep. I went out and told them they better leave or I was gonna use some Kung-Fu... THAT scared them off...

Plus I was totally nekkid and holding a gun.
Old 02-28-2013, 16:28   #702
tampashooters
Shellback

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Links?
Here... do it yourself instead of sitting back watching the world go by in fruity rainbows....

http://www.bing.com/search?q=gangs+i...0-15&sp=-1&sk=

http://www.bing.com/search?q=gangs+i...1-24&sp=-1&sk=
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 02-28-2013, 16:40   #703
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanMike View Post
I read a headline that several firearm/accessory manufacturers (Olympic arms and larue included) were supposedly refusing to sell to cops in states where politicians are passing stricter gun laws.

Is this true?

Why the hell are they punishing the cops who have nothing to do with these political games?
Not punishing cops. Making a point to the tyrannical governments that employ them. Most rank and file cops support priv gun ownership. The cops have to turn around and say to their employers, hey why so tyrannical? Stop making it hard and get me what i need to do my job!

Cops are also private citizens too so they have a vested interest. After ten years maybe i dont wanna cop no more. Want to open a pizzeria or a garden shop. Why cant i get a full mag? Wtf?

Last edited by G29Reload; 02-28-2013 at 16:42..
Old 02-28-2013, 16:47   #704
FiremanMike
Way too busy

It occurred to me that there's a different perspective, one that'll probably rile all you "this is great" peeps up..

The governments in these states are infringing on the constitutional rights of its citizens, but have elected to allow a subset of these citizens (cops) to retain their constitutional rights. These companies, of their own accord, have elected to infringe the constitutional rights of this subset of citizens, who are perfectly allowed to purchase such items.

I renew my previous assertion that these companies are just as bad as the respective governmental entities. Both are using an emotionally charged situation to trample the constitutional rights of citizens for their own political gain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
Old 02-28-2013, 16:47   #705
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampashooters View Post
Here... do it yourself instead of sitting back watching the world go by in fruity rainbows....
Don't post much around here, do you...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
Old 02-28-2013, 17:54   #706
dbcooper

I know that you all have jobs that restrict what you can say while in uniform. Out of curiosity if say,75% of the force disagrees with the restrictions and were to say so publicly what could they do? I can't see wholesale firings and I'm sure the union would have to come to your aid?

We can petition Politicians til we are blue in the face and it will matter no one bit in places that are Dem. strongholds, they act knowing that you gentlemen have no choice but to have thier backs. I don't see a few manufacturers actions having much effect, but I can't blame them for trying.

Edit to add: A severe case of blue flu on July 4th?
Old 02-28-2013, 18:03   #707
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcooper View Post
I know that you all have jobs that restrict what you can say while in uniform. Out of curiosity if say,75% of the force disagrees with the restrictions and were to say so publicly what could they do? I can't see wholesale firings and I'm sure the union would have to come to your aid?

We can petition Politicians til we are blue in the face and it will matter no one bit in places that are Dem. strongholds, they act knowing that you gentlemen have no choice but to have thier backs. I don't see a few manufacturers actions having much effect, but I can't blame them for trying.

Edit to add: A severe case of blue flu on July 4th?
I think you overestimate how much the politicians care about the opinion of police officers.
Quote:
I humbly submit I have over one million Concealed Carry hours. First license is from early 80's.
Old 02-28-2013, 18:03   #708
RussP

Quote:
It occurred to me that there's a different perspective, one that'll probably rile all you "this is great" peeps up..
Quote:
The governments in these states are infringing on the constitutional rights of its citizens,
True.
Quote:
but have elected to allow a subset of these citizens (cops) to retain their constitutional rights.
True, but that is an accidental occurrence, not the intent. Find one statement by these governments that their exemption of LE is to maintain a Constitutional Right.
Quote:
These companies, of their own accord, have elected to infringe the constitutional rights of this subset of citizens, who are perfectly allowed to purchase such items.
So, if they were to sell to citizens simply based on employment or status, that is okay with you.
Quote:
I renew my previous assertion that these companies are just as bad as the respective governmental entities. Both are using an emotionally charged situation to trample the constitutional rights of citizens for their own political gain.
The companies are acting for whose political gain?

I agree that the politicians are acting to advance their political agenda. Are you saying that the companies are acting to enhance the political gains of the politicians?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
Old 02-28-2013, 18:11   #709
dbcooper

Quote:
I think you overestimate how much the politicians care about the opinion of police officers.
I imagine for the most part they don't give 2 defications, but it would put a face to the fact that the "higher ups" on the stage when this bs goes down don't represent the beliefs of most of LE, at least for the public.

My local PD has a top dog who openly supports the good guys carrying and our state Senate and House as well as the Gov. are repubs, the NY type of bs won't fly here. The Mayor here , a D. dropped out of Bloomberg's group among other things, someone needs to break the news to him that he's a conservative, a DINO
Old 02-28-2013, 18:17   #710
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcooper View Post
The Mayor here , a D. dropped out of Bloomberg's group among other things, someone needs to break the news to him that he's a conservative, a DINO
This might shatter some of your views of the world, but there are more political factors that a person uses to decide their political affiliation than guns.

Also, just because he supports gun rights does NOT make him a conservative. For example, you said he dropped out of MAIG group. That means he WAS a member at one time. Perhaps he dropped out because - politically - he was catching flak for being a member?

There are more dimensions to politics than any one issue. A Republican who supports same-sex marriage isn't a liberal, and a Democrat that supports CCW isn't a conservative. That's much to narrow of a view of the world.

ETA, my local mayor also just dropped out of MAIG, and he's about as liberal as you can get at the municipal level outside of a major metropolitan area.

Last edited by WarCry; 02-28-2013 at 18:18..
Old 02-28-2013, 18:22   #711
SGT HATRED

Explanation
Cop Talk
Old 02-28-2013, 19:07   #712
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
True.True, but that is an accidental occurrence, not the intent. Find one statement by these governments that their exemption of LE is to maintain a Constitutional Right.So, if they were to sell to citizens simply based on employment or status, that is okay with you.The companies are acting for whose political gain?

I agree that the politicians are acting to advance their political agenda. Are you saying that the companies are acting to enhance the political gains of the politicians?
No, I don't assume that the intent of the government was to retain the rights for the officers, but it is factual to say that these exemptions have allowed a subset of citizens to retain their rights (however convoluted it is to get to that end).

I'm also not saying that they should sell to certain individuals simply based on their employment or any other (insert status), but what we have here is that there IS a group of people who can still legally purchase these items and enjoy their constitutional 2nd amendment rights. Just like the governments are squashing the 2nd amendment rights, these companies are now electing to impede the second amendment rights for the citizens who are currently exempted.

As far as I'm concerned, the political gain of these companies is that joe-blow gun owner feels they are standing up for their rights, when in reality all they are doing is furthering the degradation of the constitution against even more people.

Because I'm sure butthurt is coming from my post, let me ONCE AGAIN make the following point VERY CLEAR: I do NOT feel that cops should be allowed to have these guns and no one else can, but I believe we have an interim fix in place currently to keep these items in hands of law abiding citizens until we can WORK TOGETHER to get these absurd laws repealed.
Quote:
Old 02-28-2013, 19:08   #713
FiremanMike
Way too busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT HATRED View Post
Explanation
Cop Talk
Nuclear warheads
Quote:
Old 02-28-2013, 20:29   #714
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Nuclear warheads
Argumentum absurdum.

There is a reasonable line to draw. There is nothing wrong with civilians owning 30 round mags.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 02-28-2013 at 20:46..
Old 02-28-2013, 20:44   #715
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:

The governments in these states are infringing on the constitutional rights of its citizens, but have elected to allow a subset of these citizens (cops) to retain their constitutional rights. These companies, of their own accord, have elected to infringe the constitutional rights of this subset of citizens, who are perfectly allowed to purchase such items.

The difference is that these companies cannot stop individuals or agencies or their employees from getting what they need, and they can't make any of them turn in or destroy the items they have.

It's a political statement that these companies support the rights of all, and will not support a "some animals are more equal than others" policy??

End result, on duty cops still have what they have, retired guys that have not stocked up yet get to live with a little harder time getting more than their neighbors can get.

Get this, no danger to cops. None. Zip. Zero. They get to keep what they have.

Look on the bright side, as soon as the civilians can buy them, so can everyone else.

Fair is Fair.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 02-28-2013 at 20:45..
Old 02-28-2013, 20:58   #716
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
No, I don't assume that the intent of the government was to retain the rights for the officers, but it is factual to say that these exemptions have allowed a subset of citizens to retain their rights (however convoluted it is to get to that end).

I'm also not saying that they should sell to certain individuals simply based on their employment or any other (insert status), but what we have here is that there IS a group of people who can still legally purchase these items and enjoy their constitutional 2nd amendment rights. Just like the governments are squashing the 2nd amendment rights, these companies are now electing to impede the second amendment rights for the citizens who are currently exempted.

As far as I'm concerned, the political gain of these companies is that joe-blow gun owner feels they are standing up for their rights, when in reality all they are doing is furthering the degradation of the constitution against even more people.

Because I'm sure butthurt is coming from my post, let me ONCE AGAIN make the following point VERY CLEAR: I do NOT feel that cops should be allowed to have these guns and no one else can, but I believe we have an interim fix in place currently to keep these items in hands of law abiding citizens until we can WORK TOGETHER to get these absurd laws repealed.
Just wow bro.

First, the constitution limits and enumerates the power of the government.

Us Joe blows aren't really too concerned with any irritation you have any more than you are concerned about ours.

You being butt hurt because these companies are sticking it back to the man in such a small way, that won't hurt any on duty police, is really hard to understand.

Either you aren't really understanding the reality of the situation and it's real world impact, or I just don't know. It's not adding up.

What is it about this that is REALLY getting under your skin???
Old 02-28-2013, 21:30   #717
Vigilant

On a related note:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...gher-gun-laws/
Old 02-28-2013, 22:26   #718
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I like green eggs and ham.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:00   #719
John Rambo
Raven

Old 03-01-2013, 04:07   #720
TheJ
Lifetime Membership
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Argumentum absurdum.

There is a reasonable line to draw. There is nothing wrong with civilians owning 30 round mags.
Yep going to nukes is the same argument most of the antis use when you try to explain the right to arms is the right of defense (including resistance to tyranny). But it's a straw man as firearms are not even in the same universe as nukes.

IMHO there is not a hand held firearm made that should be barred from private citizens. We're fighting over mag capacity and cosmetics but nobody talks about the fact that we've already practically lost access to select fire. While I'm personally not that interested in owning select fire, it was the beginning of the slippery slope. Absolutely positively nobody is safer because select fire arms are practically banned. We've mostly just come to accept that select fire firearms are too dangerous for common folk using the exact same flawed logic they are using to push for new restrictions on semi auto and magazine capacities.

The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -F. Scott Fitzgerald

Closed Thread