Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-18-2013, 18:48   #1
Nalapombu

Really Impressed with the Mossy 590A1...

Hey all,

I stopped in my local shop today, I haven't been in since the madness started so I didn't know what I would see when I got there. Surprisingly they had a pretty good selection, but only a few AR's and only 1 AK. Both priced reasonably. One thing was that they had a BIG SIGN up that was apologizing for the prices of 9mm ammo. They said they couldn't get ANY....ANYWHERE. They had NO FMJ 9mm ammo and this is one of the most popular indoor ranges in the Houston area.

Anyway, one thing I noticed was that they had a great selection of HD shotguns including many Benelli M2's and quite a few Mossy 590's. I had been going back and forth on the 590 and the 870. I have never owned a 590 and the last time I handled one it felt cheap, not very much quality at all. That was many years ago though.

Well today they had about 10 590A1's on the rack and I had to check one out. I handled the 590A1 with the 18.5 inch barrel, Ghost Rings and Speedfeed stock. It was priced at $549.
I was IMPRESSED. This is one SUPER NICE shotgun. The second I got it in my hands I felt like I was handling a quality piece. It was SOLID, not a rattle anywhere, the controls all functioned great and had a great positive feel to them. The slide racking felt and sounded great. After handing it back to them to put back on the rack, I wanted it. Right now I am scheming on how to get it soon. No way would I feel at any kind of disadvantage with that 590A1.

Mossberg must have really stepped up their building and quality. Not to say anything was wrong in the first place, but over the years I have read reports that suggested that maybe they weren't really the BEST choice in shotguns. Well that is FAR from what I handled today.

The only thing that kinda took me by surprise was how much it weighed. It felt really heavy at first. That Speedfeed stock also felt like it was shorter than a normal stock. Is it? If so, I would opt for the standard stock.

Well that's my story. I can see why you Mossy guys and gals are so proud of your shotguns. If I had one I'd be crowing about it too. This one today certainly felt better in the hand than the last 870 that I handled and fooled with.

Nalajr
Old 02-18-2013, 20:31   #2
mr.scott

thats why i have 2.
mr.scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 21:25   #3
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Wouldn't part from mine.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 21:39   #4
glockguns

This is an easy answer.... go back and get it
glockguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 22:44   #5
G23c

love my Mossberg. its my HD gun. my M1S90 is great, but I feel better with the Moss,
G23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 22:49   #6
WJR

I love both of mine. You need to get one for yourself.

WJR
Tactical Shotgun Club #1996
WJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:48   #7
Nalapombu

Hey guys...

Believe me I am wanting one BAD!! I can't get that 590A1 out of my head since yesterday. I tell ya to my hands and mind, it felt so much more stout and solid than the last few 870's that I have handled. I can see what the cops and soldiers love them. They feel like BUSINESS, ALL BUSINESS.

I think when I make my last car payment on April 1 I am going to treat myself and this is on this TOP of the list right now.

Nalajr
Old 02-19-2013, 12:51   #8
Nalapombu

One last thing, before handling that A1 yesterday with the 18.5 inch barrel I thought if I ever got a Mossy it would be the 590SPX. There is a member here that has one and has posted pics of it and it is one of the coolest looking shotguns I have ever seen. I really liked it. I can re-post the pics of it if you want to see it.

Now I am thinking differently. That extra 2 inches of barrel, extra length extension and other goodies on that SPX makes me think it would be much heavier than what I would like. Does the weight of the 9 shot versions hinder any of you guys that own them? Just curious about that. I like the 18.5 inch version now.

I would love to get one and then take a shotgun class to learn the ins and outs of proper handling of a HD shotgun. One of those entire weekend classes where you shoot a few hundred rounds is what I would like. Anyone else take a course like that and if so, did you like it and would you recommend one?

Thanks again.

Nalajr
Old 02-19-2013, 20:40   #9
spsmith713

I have a 590A1 & a 590 special purpose. Both are amazing!!
spsmith713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:38   #10
Blowout

If your going to get one....why not really treat yourself?

http://www.shop.vangcomp.net/product...&categoryId=11
Old 02-27-2013, 11:18   #11
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowout View Post
If your going to get one....why not really treat yourself?

http://www.shop.vangcomp.net/product...&categoryId=11
I have that one.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
Old 02-27-2013, 19:34   #12
.45 Combat

What about just using a full choke, or a modified choke?
.45 Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 19:58   #13
Blowout

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45 Combat View Post
What about just using a full choke, or a modified choke?
You would need to thread the end of a 18.5" to add the choke and the VCS can also add vent ports. I suppose you could find someone to do them both.

What you are indicating is essentially what the back boring acomplishes... they open up the existing bore diameter from the chamber end and the shot gets choked down as it gets to the non-bored area at the end of the barrel.

They think the back boring reduces some of the recoil because of the larger barrel diameter reducing some friction. It would be interesting to chronograph 00 B out of a VCS and non-VCS barrel. Reduced recoil rounds might be a less expensive option.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:09   #14
Mad Ryan

They're a much nicer gun than the 870 express guns IMO. After all the crap that Freedom Group is turning out these days I'll probably not be picking up an 870P like I was planning and instead picking up another 590A1 to replace the one I stupidly sold.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:27   #15
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Quote:
You would need to thread the end of a 18.5" to add the choke and the VCS can also add vent ports. I suppose you could find someone to do them both.

What you are indicating is essentially what the back boring acomplishes... they open up the existing bore diameter from the chamber end and the shot gets choked down as it gets to the non-bored area at the end of the barrel.

They think the back boring reduces some of the recoil because of the larger barrel diameter reducing some friction. It would be interesting to chronograph 00 B out of a VCS and non-VCS barrel. Reduced recoil rounds might be a less expensive option.
Both gives you the recoil of a smaller caliber rifle.

And it's always fun to show off the work that Hans Vang developed.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
Old 02-28-2013, 15:21   #16
Blowout

I can't agree a 12 ga with 00 buck out of an 18" has the same recoil as a small caliber rifle.... The VCS only reduces recoil by a stated 15%.
Old 02-28-2013, 15:41   #17
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Quote:
I can't agree a 12 ga with 00 buck out of an 18" has the same recoil as a small caliber rifle.... The VCS only reduces recoil by a stated 15%.
You musta missed the part about Reduced (Low) Recoil shells with the VC System. And that I said smaller not small.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member

Last edited by concretefuzzynuts; 02-28-2013 at 15:52..
Old 02-28-2013, 16:24   #18
oily_oink
###########

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ryan View Post
They're a much nicer gun than the 870 express guns IMO. After all the crap that Freedom Group is turning out these days I'll probably not be picking up an 870P like I was planning and instead picking up another 590A1 to replace the one I stupidly sold.
I agree with the 870 crap they are putting out! I looked at a Magpul Edition yesterday at Gander Mountain & almost bought it. While inspecting it, I discovered a small chunk missing from the barrel toward the front sight! It was oval & about the size of two pen tips put next to each other. The finish was in tact, so it came from the factory like that. The depth of the hole looked to be about half the barrel thickness.

I then went to Dunham's to see what they had. I found only one Tactical model. As soon as I got it in my hands, I knew something was wrong! On the left side of the receiver, bubbling! Right side of the receiver, a busted bubble with rust!!!

Even though I was looking to own my first Remington 870, I'm going back to Mossberg! Had a 500 Mariner about 15 years ago, sold it to pay bills! Had a 590A1 just a few years ago, also sold it to pay bills! Never had a problem with either one!!!
Old 02-28-2013, 21:53   #19
Blowout

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
You musta missed the part about Reduced (Low) Recoil shells with the VC System. And that I said smaller not small.
Yep I missed that...reading off a phone.
Old 02-28-2013, 22:06   #20
megawatt
Electron maker

I like my A1 with over 300 skulls.

Tactical Shotguns
megawatt is offline   Reply With Quote