GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-22-2011, 21:28   #21
Landlocked

After a long wait I finally received mine. The LOP is perfect for me. The breacher barrel is not neccessary and adds a little weight to the front of the shotgun. No big deal though. I do like the front sight, easy to pick up. I cannot figure out what type of finish it is but it looks good and seems like it will hold up. the forearm is great with the built in's for a light and the rails do not interfere with grasping it and the lower rail is not uncomfortable. For the "extras" you get for the price you pay, this model is a great value. Overall very happy with it.
Landlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 14:04   #22
dtuns

Is the breacher removable?
dtuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 15:31   #23
method

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrtvandelay View Post
I actually own one of these. It is my first shotgun, but I definitely didn't buy it just for the breacher barrel. I bought it b/c it came already equipped with the 2 mods I would have made to any other HD shotgun I was considering. It had rails for a light on the forend and came with a sling. Call me an idiot, but it was nice to get that all in one package.
Why would you want a sling on a home defense shotgun?
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 17:56   #24
Providence

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuns View Post
Is the breacher removable?
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by method View Post
Why would you want a sling on a home defense shotgun?
Mine didn't come with a sling. I can't really see a use for as sling in my situation.
Georgia Club Member #106
Tactical Shotgun Club #58
Rimfire Club #193
Snubbie Club #18
Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 21:36   #25
Kilrain
Señor Member

I've often wondered about the Thunder Ranch Mossberg too. I get marketing and what not, but in this video, which is admittedly about 5 years old, he basically says that he really doesn't know anything about Mossberg shotguns but that he's heard good things:

As for a sling on an HD shotgun, if it is essentially a barricade gun meant to be used to defend a fixed position only, then I agree no sling needed. If you plan on taking you and yours and leaving, it has an application.

He is the pork of crime

- Michael Hurley
Kilrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:15   #26
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

I inquired about the Thunder Ranch yesterday at the gun shop because I was actually looking into checking one out. He logged onto to both of his suppliers' websites and they are both showing zero. He does have something similar in 20ga but it has the regular stock with the 14" LOP which I don't care for but I can always swap it out with the Hogue I guess.
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:03   #27
Providence

I like it for the shorter length of pull and the forearm. For me, it was cheaper to get the Thunder Ranch than to buy a standard 500 and the accessories. It has a nice balance. I've not regretted the purchase. As for availability, everything is a little crazy right now.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Georgia Club Member #106
Tactical Shotgun Club #58
Rimfire Club #193
Snubbie Club #18
Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 22:47   #28
Whazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence View Post
I like it for the shorter length of pull and the forearm. For me, it was cheaper to get the Thunder Ranch than to buy a standard 500 and the accessories. It has a nice balance. I've not regretted the purchase. As for availability, everything is a little crazy right now.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
I picked one up a few weeks ago, I like the short stock and rail attachment points - I will be smoothing off the rails once I settle on a weapon light - I have added a 1/8" neopreme cheek pad & had the butt stock top and bottom beveled. It's a good basic shotgun - light and well thought out - as for the breacher, I don't think it's a bad idea to have a sharp pointy end on the shotgun, especially if it could prevent a $20K legal defense in a high risk situation...I haven't shot it enough to consider it broken in, but I plan to run through 2 cases of claybirds in the near future...if I learn anything new about it will post an update.
Whazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 21:35   #29
MIWildcat

I picked up a Thunder Ranch last fall and I'm quite pleased with the shotgun. In some ways, it is classic Mossberg, as it does rattle a bit and it just doesn't feel as tight as a Remington.

However, this thing works! The shortened stock, combined with the shortened barrel, make this a great shotgun for home defense. I would not recommend clearing rooms, but if you needed to do so, the length of the gun would make it idea for doing so. The addition of rails and the sight are great. I had thought I'd prefer ghost rings like some of the 590A1's have, but after using this little beast, I don't think it is necessary.

The breacher is a bit of a turn-off for some, but having a pointy end to poke with isn't a bad idea, honestly. The barrel is quite sharp and you could do a bit of damage with it if necessary.

Overall, I was a bit skeptical about this gun until I picked it up and now I really love it. Great design, great gun and my biggest complaint is the name on the side. Otherwise, I would recommend it!
MIWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 18:17   #30
moeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Coyote View Post
Well stated. Mossberg should be ashamed of themselves.

bc
Overkill? probably, but it doesn't impact the function of the gun--so not that bad.
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 18:22   #31
moeman

I do have a Mossberg semi blackwater in 12G... Impulse buy that I came out really good. Good hd/3 gun shotgun.

I was born and raised a Remington guy so this is a balanced view IMO. I was shopping for a versamax remmy tactical and since they were no where to be found I bought this mossberg. I love it--rail+ fiberoptics right out of the box.
Tactical Shotguns

Anyway... sorry you may love pumps but since I have semi auto shotguns (11-87)pistols (many)and rifles (many) that work completely fine I advocate semiauto shootguns.

I like the FN and Bennellis too! But Mossberg pricing is aggressive.

Last edited by moeman; 03-11-2013 at 18:25..
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:07   #32
burttrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeman View Post
I do have a Mossberg semi blackwater in 12G... Impulse buy that I came out really good. Good hd/3 gun shotgun.

I was born and raised a Remington guy so this is a balanced view IMO. I was shopping for a versamax remmy tactical and since they were no where to be found I bought this mossberg. I love it--rail+ fiberoptics right out of the box.
Tactical Shotguns

Anyway... sorry you may love pumps but since I have semi auto shotguns (11-87)pistols (many)and rifles (many) that work completely fine I advocate semiauto shootguns.

I like the FN and Bennellis too! But Mossberg pricing is aggressive.
What is steet price for one of these? I like it?
burttrans is offline   Reply With Quote