GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 07:37   #1
CJStudent
Fenced In
 
CJStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 17,476
Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Sequester impact on Federal prisons

http://www.forbes.com/sites/walterpa...deral-prisons/
__________________
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:57   #2
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member
 
Glockdude1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Beaumont,Texas
Posts: 26,629


Get your "letter" yet?

We received ours already. As line staff, we will make a TON of overtime and get a extra dayy "off", if the Sequester takes place.

__________________
"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring a Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."
Glockdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:18   #3
CJStudent
Fenced In
 
CJStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 17,476
Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
Get your "letter" yet?

We received ours already. As line staff, we will make a TON of overtime and get a extra dayy "off", if the Sequester takes place.

No, but apparently the warden had a recall on Daywatch on my off day Thursday or Friday, and I heard about it from other staff. I usually try to avoid overtime if at all possible, as I have over an hour drive to and from work. My "mandates" are usually an hour or more over after taking an emergency trip to the local ER (I love being BPT (armed escort) sometimes, lol); not enough to really mess with me but enough to get my mandate out of the way. I guess I'm going to have to start volunteering on my Fridays, then.
__________________
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:29   #4
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member
 
Glockdude1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Beaumont,Texas
Posts: 26,629


I know what you mean on being BPT. It can be a double edged sword. It is great when there is a inmate at the hospital and you WANT the OT.

Sucks when it is your friday, and a BPT staff is needed, and you have to stay over........

My understanding is, you will be able to pick the day off of the week, you will take your "sequester".

My plan is to work a double on my monday and friday every week. Can you imagine the money the GS-11 Lt's will be making???

To be Op's, they have to be a GS-11 Lt. When one Lt takes there sequester, another GS-11 will take their place.

Ka-ching baby!!

__________________
"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring a Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."
Glockdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:43   #5
CJStudent
Fenced In
 
CJStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 17,476
Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
I know what you mean on being BPT. It can be a double edged sword. It is great when there is a inmate at the hospital and you WANT the OT.

Sucks when it is your friday, and a BPT staff is needed, and you have to stay over........

My understanding is, you will be able to pick the day off of the week, you will take your "sequester".

My plan is to work a double on my monday and friday every week. Can you imagine the money the GS-11 Lt's will be making???

To be Op's, they have to be a GS-11 Lt. When one Lt takes there sequester, another GS-11 will take their place.

Ka-ching baby!!

On daywatch, at least, as long as we have a GS-11 on duty, we can run a GS-9 as ops (we regularly do it on daywatch on Fridays).

As to mandates on your Friday, here, per a local union agreement, they can't mandate you on your Friday. It's pretty awesome.

By the way, did I mention that today is my "Friday"?
__________________
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.

Last edited by CJStudent; 02-24-2013 at 08:43..
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:55   #6
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member
 
Glockdude1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Beaumont,Texas
Posts: 26,629


Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
On daywatch, at least, as long as we have a GS-11 on duty, we can run a GS-9 as ops (we regularly do it on daywatch on Fridays).

As to mandates on your Friday, here, per a local union agreement, they can't mandate you on your Friday. It's pretty awesome.

By the way, did I mention that today is my "Friday"?
Enjoy your weekend!!

(it is my thursday)

__________________
"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring a Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."
Glockdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:00   #7
CJStudent
Fenced In
 
CJStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 17,476
Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
Enjoy your weekend!!

(it is my thursday)

I shall! When I go back, it's a 9-day stretch, then a day off, a drill weekend, then vacation, lol. Gotta love sick and annual!
__________________
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:20   #8
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member
 
Glockdude1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Beaumont,Texas
Posts: 26,629


Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
I shall! When I go back, it's a 9-day stretch, then a day off, a drill weekend, then vacation, lol. Gotta love sick and annual!


My last S/A was this time last year!!
__________________
"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring a Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."
Glockdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:47   #9
USDB2FCI
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 105
No beach time for me as I will be in Unicor in a few weeks.
USDB2FCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 16:10   #10
CBennett
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PA/Covered by LEOSA
Posts: 10,976
I got my "letter" on Wed this last week they are gonna try to do it 1 day a week in conjunction with days off for 12-14(meaning a total of 12-14 days off total) weeks. I dont do OT but for Mandates 1-2 times a year i value my time off more than $$$. Man I remember Sick and Annual but its been about 8+ years since I did any of that junk. I could see us having to go on lockdown to get this done for some parts/days/times.

Last edited by CBennett; 02-24-2013 at 16:12..
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 17:29   #11
CJStudent
Fenced In
 
CJStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 17,476
Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post


My last S/A was this time last year!!
I dodged it for two quarters after probation, but it finally caught up with me. Oh well, only two more weeks of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDB2FCI View Post
No beach time for me as I will be in Unicor in a few weeks.
If they don't cut your position out in the meantime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
I got my "letter" on Wed this last week they are gonna try to do it 1 day a week in conjunction with days off for 12-14(meaning a total of 12-14 days off total) weeks. I dont do OT but for Mandates 1-2 times a year i value my time off more than $$$. Man I remember Sick and Annual but its been about 8+ years since I did any of that junk. I could see us having to go on lockdown to get this done for some parts/days/times.
I'm with you; other than mandates, I don't volunteer for OT for the most part. I have once, on my day off. I got called in, drove to the hospital (my post for that shift, and about an hour and a half drive), only to get told when I get there and call to confirm the room number (they didn't have one yet when they called me; he was en route to the ER), only to be told they didn't need me after all. You better believe they paid me my two hours, though!
__________________
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 19:00   #12
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9
 
Kingarthurhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,575
BOPpers already got their notice, according to the spouse of one of the guys I work with whose wife is a BOPer. Apparently, a few other Agencies are getting a hit as well. It seems everyone has come to the conclusion that the House and Obama are going full tilt on the political chicken thing, and lots of bodies are going to be left in their wake.

No one on the outside is really going to care unless things like TSA and Air Traffic Control start furloughing, and then there there will be an outcry.

Also, if DOD takes a hit, then there will be an outcry from all the fanboys.
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 20SF, 21C, 22, 26, 27, Glock E-Tool, Glock knife
Quod ego haereticus appellari sequere Jesum.
Kingarthurhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 19:02   #13
CJStudent
Fenced In
 
CJStudent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 17,476
Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
BOPpers already got their notice, according to the spouse of one of the guys I work with whose wife is a BOPer. Apparently, a few other Agencies are getting a hit as well. It seems everyone has come to the conclusion that the House and Obama are going full tilt on the political chicken thing, and lots of bodies are going to be left in their wake.

No one on the outside is really going to care unless things like TSA and Air Traffic Control start furloughing, and then there there will be an outcry.

Also, if DOD takes a hit, then there will be an outcry from all the fanboys.
Yep, that about sums it up.
__________________
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:17   #14
merlynusn
Senior Member
 
merlynusn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 3,265
So are they going to furlough you guys and then call someone in on OT to cover the position? Isn't that counter-intuitive?
merlynusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:15   #15
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member
 
Glockdude1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Beaumont,Texas
Posts: 26,629


Quote:
Originally Posted by merlynusn View Post
So are they going to furlough you guys and then call someone in on OT to cover the position? Isn't that counter-intuitive?
Welcome to "change".

__________________
"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring a Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."
Glockdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:30   #16
DaBigBR
No Infidels!
 
DaBigBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Circling the wagons.
Posts: 15,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlynusn View Post
So are they going to furlough you guys and then call someone in on OT to cover the position? Isn't that counter-intuitive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
Welcome to "change".

But it's fair...everybody has to furlough this way, I assume. It would be terrible for those in "non-essential" positions to have to furlough while those in continuous shift, protective positions do not...even if it ends up costing everybody, including the taxpaying furloughed employees, more in the long run to pay the overtime and contributes to a less safe workplace with people working more hours and lower morale with people likely being forced.
__________________
"Logic is rarely the engine that propels a police department forward."

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:38   #17
jhooten
NRA Life Member
 
jhooten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tx.
Posts: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlynusn View Post
So are they going to furlough you guys and then call someone in on OT to cover the position? Isn't that counter-intuitive?
When the officer is on furlough "they" will pull the comm tech, teacher, secretary, or some other support staff off of their duties and put them in the unit. Overtime cannot, by law, be used to fill a furloughed employees position. I miss my days of getting GS-11 pay to do a GS-5's job. Wasn't so happy when it was grave yards.

Sorry young guys it ain't going to happen.
jhooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:06   #18
blueiron
Clown move, bro
 
blueiron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On the corner of Gang and Ghetto
Posts: 13,209
Yep.

Expect to have the kitchen supervisor, the contracting specialist, and every other support person to be called in to fill slots in a unit. It is bad enough when someone in admin who doesn't work with inmates on a regular basis has to pull duty officer once or twice a year, but to have them work a unit as a CO is asking for injured or dead staffers. They simply don't have the acumen to do the job safely.

One more thing to hang on this president who can find time for golf, the theatre, Hawaii, and the Academy Awards, but can never seem to find to time to do his job.
__________________
Imported from the future in 1984. Returned to the past in 2007

Dear God, this is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. It's got to rank right up there with CALEA. -Pepper45
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:27   #19
CBennett
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PA/Covered by LEOSA
Posts: 10,976
deleted

Last edited by CBennett; 02-25-2013 at 14:04..
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:33   #20
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member
 
Glockdude1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Beaumont,Texas
Posts: 26,629


Quote:
Originally Posted by jhooten View Post
When the officer is on furlough "they" will pull the comm tech, teacher, secretary, or some other support staff off of their duties and put them in the unit. Overtime cannot, by law, be used to fill a furloughed employees position. I miss my days of getting GS-11 pay to do a GS-5's job. Wasn't so happy when it was grave yards.

Sorry young guys it ain't going to happen.
OT will have to happen.

1) We don't have enough staff. Transfers, promotions, FMLA, Vacation & sick time use.

2) Teachers, secretary's and other support staff do not like to work housing units. They will use sick time, and/or "all of a sudden" get sick and have to go home. I have seen it many times.

__________________
"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring a Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."
Glockdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:39   #21
billkill
Senior Member
 
billkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: East TN
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingarthurhk View Post
BOPpers already got their notice, according to the spouse of one of the guys I work with whose wife is a BOPer. Apparently, a few other Agencies are getting a hit as well. It seems everyone has come to the conclusion that the House and Obama are going full tilt on the political chicken thing, and lots of bodies are going to be left in their wake.

No one on the outside is really going to care unless things like TSA and Air Traffic Control start furloughing, and then there there will be an outcry.

Also, if DOD takes a hit, then there will be an outcry from all the fanboys.
Several friends of mine that work in Oak Ridge are starting to worry.
__________________
G22
"Elsie Pea"
...But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most...and that is..the indifference of Good Men! -Monsignor, BoonDock Saints
billkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:55   #22
jhooten
NRA Life Member
 
jhooten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tx.
Posts: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
OT will have to happen.

1) We don't have enough staff. Transfers, promotions, FMLA, Vacation & sick time use.

2) Teachers, secretary's and other support staff do not like to work housing units. They will use sick time, and/or "all of a sudden" get sick and have to go home. I have seen it many times.

Take away their LE status and 20 year retirement then they won't have to worry about it. I didn't like being pulled from my job and letting my work back up to cover for furloughed officers the last time either. The fact that they could pull me to do CO post is what kept me from fully furloughed and only furloughed one day a pay period like the officers.

All management has to do it to explain to those "non-essential" employees is they will fill post as assigned or they will be fully furloughed so the officers will not be at all allowing them to maintain the security of the institution.

Correctional worker first. Or you can wait to age 62 to retire. You choose.

(may be time for a sig change)

Last edited by jhooten; 02-25-2013 at 12:56..
jhooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 13:04   #23
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member
 
Glockdude1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Beaumont,Texas
Posts: 26,629


Jhooten,

What institution were you at? I am at FCC Beaumont.

__________________
"Some People Are Like Slinkies. They're Not Really Good For Anything, But They Bring a Smile To Your Face When Pushed Down The Stairs."
Glockdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 16:16   #24
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9
 
Kingarthurhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
But it's fair...everybody has to furlough this way, I assume. It would be terrible for those in "non-essential" positions to have to furlough while those in continuous shift, protective positions do not...even if it ends up costing everybody, including the taxpaying furloughed employees, more in the long run to pay the overtime and contributes to a less safe workplace with people working more hours and lower morale with people likely being forced.
Well, furloughs in the past have typically worked out this way:

Non-essential employees get sent home.
Essentially employees to go work and pick up all the slack by the Non-essential employees.

When the Essential employees get their backpay, taxed in half, of course, for working without pay, the Non-essential folks come back from home and get paid as if they had been there the whole time.

So, I have never seen the logic of sending non-essentials home, only to be paid as if they had worked what they really hadn't durring a furlough period.

Government logic at work.
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 20SF, 21C, 22, 26, 27, Glock E-Tool, Glock knife
Quod ego haereticus appellari sequere Jesum.
Kingarthurhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 16:35   #25
railfancwb
Senior Member
 
railfancwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shelbyville, Tennessee TN
Posts: 3,833
Just to be sure I understand what I am reading... Federal prisons will cost more to operate after the sequester because overtime will be generated to maintain staff levels while some are on furlowe?


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
"Never give to your friend any power that your enemy may some day inherit." -- Paul Weyrich
railfancwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:21.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 687
215 Members
472 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42