SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:17   #1
Pier23

Purse/CC options

Gentlefolk,

My wife just completed her classwork to get her CCW permit. So the question is...now what?

Her weapon of choice is a small .38 Colt revolver, but I don't have very many carry suggestions for her.

She is not really a purse kinda gal, but she does carry an over-the-shoulder carryall for stuff, so some type of over-the-shoulder something seems the most useful. Not sure she wants to mess with an IWB, but not ruling that out as an additional method.

What is a good source for concealed carry contrivances?

I use a Maxpedition bag myself, but that is a bit murseish for a woman....ideas?

Thx!
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:24   #3
jjdoner

Check out LAW concealment holsters. A catalog is available at lawconcealcentral@aol.com. I have a G23 and am waiting for one of these at the moment. I've been told it's "in the mail". My DIL is a very slender woman about 5'5" tall who carries a G23 using one of these. I have yet to be able to tell she's carrying. My son also uses this holster, he's 6'4" and about 220. Can't tell if he's carrying either.
jjdoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 17:53   #4
Cheri81

What is anyones feelings on a Small of the back IWB carry? thats where i range carry and it is the most comfortable for me but i am not sure how practical it would be otherwise
Cheri81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 22:08   #5
rebeccmh

I'm new to gun ownership and conceal carry, and so far it has been a lot of experimenting to what what feels the most comfortable, and what's the most practical. So far everything I've read has said that on the body carry is the best option, so I got a FoXx holster for my Glock 26 and so far prefer carrying just behind my right hip (I'm right handed). However, I am still working on making this work with my wardrobe. I do also carry in my purse using a pocket holster in a designated pocket separate from anything else. Conceal carry purses are great, but are also expensive. If carrying in her purse, it is also best to use a bag that is cross-body so it is harder for someone to snatch it. For running in my neighborhood I just purchased a Ka-Bar TDI Law Enforcement Fanny Pack, but I wouldn't use this normal everyday carry personally. I have been trying to find a carry method that works for everyday, but so far there hasn't been a "one-size-fits-all" carry option. Another note, make sure she practices a lot with whatever option she chooses so she feels comfortable carrying and drawing her weapon.

Helpful websites for women: The Cornered Cat The Well Armed Woman

Last edited by rebeccmh; 02-24-2013 at 22:10..
rebeccmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:17   #6
Pier23

Thank you, Rebeccmh,

We live on a farm, so my wife has always had weapons around, and has her own arsenal, but is new to CCW. Her CCW instructor is strongly suggesting 50 rounds per week thru her carry weapon for six weeks...which means I am going to have to arrange range time with my wife for the next six weeks at least...<sigh....>Well, this is what marriage is all about, so I just gotta suck it up and do it...<sigh....>

We did order a Maxpedition Neatfreak bag for casual use, but that wont work for everything...have to see how body carry works or if she is interested...I think that will not be something of interest, but she will be playing with this for a while.

Your links are very helpful, thank you!
Old 02-25-2013, 07:13   #7
Smoker

My wife only carries occasionally when she does she uses her purse that has a holster inside. While that is better than not carrying if anytime she leaves the purse or sets it down there is the possibility of someone getting more than the average purse if they grab it. JMO
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 14:49   #8
jjdoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
My wife only carries occasionally when she does she uses her purse that has a holster inside. While that is better than not carrying if anytime she leaves the purse or sets it down there is the possibility of someone getting more than the average purse if they grab it. JMO
That would be the reason my son the firearms safety instructor said "Nooooo" very gently when I asked about carrying in a purse. That soft noooo means he'll go ballistic if I actually do that. He's teaching me to carry with an IWB holster over my right hip. This means I'll be carrying an unloaded G23 around with me all the time at home so I'll get accustomed to having that weight on my hip, then we'll add the weight of the loaded magazine. The other thing he said that makes great sense to me is that I should not expect to get completely comfortable with any holster/gun combo on my body. I should get accustomed to having it there, however.
Old 02-25-2013, 17:28   #9
LMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdoner View Post
That would be the reason my son the firearms safety instructor said "Nooooo" very gently when I asked about carrying in a purse. That soft noooo means he'll go ballistic if I actually do that. He's teaching me to carry with an IWB holster over my right hip. This means I'll be carrying an unloaded G23 around with me all the time at home so I'll get accustomed to having that weight on my hip, then we'll add the weight of the loaded magazine. The other thing he said that makes great sense to me is that I should not expect to get completely comfortable with any holster/gun combo on my body. I should get accustomed to having it there, however.
What IWB are you using?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
LMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 17:59   #10
jjdoner

deleted

Last edited by jjdoner; 02-25-2013 at 18:09..
Old 02-25-2013, 18:08   #11
jjdoner

I'm using a LAW Concealment holster. You can get a catalog at either lawconcealcentral@aol.com or lawconcealtexas@aol.com if you're interested.
Old 02-25-2013, 18:38   #12
rebeccmh

Quote:
that's great advice jjdoner!

Helpful websites for women: The Cornered Cat The Well Armed Woman
rebeccmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 21:39   #13
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I find it hilarious that a male instructor would insist on body carry for a woman.

If she were to want an evening out with the girls and they are dressed up in cocktail dresses...where the hell does he think that she can carry on the body much less IWC.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-25-2013, 22:05   #14
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post
Thank you, Rebeccmh,

We live on a farm, so my wife has always had weapons around, and has her own arsenal, but is new to CCW. Her CCW instructor is strongly suggesting 50 rounds per week thru her carry weapon for six weeks...which means I am going to have to arrange range time with my wife for the next six weeks at least...Well, this is what marriage is all about, so I just gotta suck it up and do it...

We did order a Maxpedition Neatfreak bag for casual use, but that wont work for everything...have to see how body carry works or if she is interested...I think that will not be something of interest, but she will be playing with this for a while.

Your links are very helpful, thank you!
For soft recoiling target ammo find some 148gr wadcutters. Much softer than other stuff you will find. Or if you can't find that, 158gr lead round nose aren't too bad. But the wadcutters are the best, as they are low velocity. Avoid the lighter bullets that are loaded to higher velocity. But for carry ammo, get whatever you want. I like 158gr +p hollow points, especially Federal Ny-Clad. They have less recoil than the Gold Dot short barrel +P stuff (135gr, I think), in my opinion. I don't know what your Colt weighs, but my wife's 637 weighs 15oz, so this stuff is important. Lots of people here like the Gold Dot short barrel, nothing wrong with them, I'm just saying they have more recoil than the Federal 158gr, in my opinion

As to carry, spend the money and give her the whole bag of tricks. My best snubby holster is a kydex IWB "offside" from alabamaholster.com
http://www.alabamaholster.com/index.php?p=2_4

But also try a fanny pack holster. And a purse holster. And a belly band. And an ankle holster. And a pocket holster. My wife and I have all of those and use whatever works for that day, that situation. Probably need an OWB holster too, because the IWB makes pants feel tight until you buy one size larger pants.

My favorite is IWB. A place like Alabama holster will custom make the belt-loops in whatever length you want, so get a couple different ones. She can pick if she wants the holster to ride high or low. No matter the brand, look for that kind of option.

I don't like a big holster for a snubby. And believe me, there are some big contraptions out there. I'll plug the Alabama holster again because it is such a great design. I have one for my 642, and like it to ride low. My wife has one for her 637 and has it set to ride high on her belt. Personal preference, shape of hips, length of torso, whatever.

Or you might like a different design. Happy shopping

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 02-25-2013 at 22:08..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 22:15   #15
jjdoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I find it hilarious that a male instructor would insist on body carry for a woman.

If she were to want an evening out with the girls and they are dressed up in cocktail dresses...where the hell does he think that she can carry on the body much less IWC.

I don't find it funny at all. There are thigh holsters, as well as comfortable, fashionable evening wear that isn't skimpy, tight fitting or sheer. I think it would be reasonable to consider wardrobe when choosing to carry in those situations. Just saying.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:39   #16
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
I don't find it funny at all. There are thigh holsters, as well as comfortable, fashionable evening wear that isn't skimpy, tight fitting or sheer. I think it would be reasonable to consider wardrobe when choosing to carry in those situations. Just saying.
Maybe I'm not a male sexist pig, but I don't think that a woman has to compromise in her eveningwear in order to accomodate a style of concealed carry.

A well designed purse with slash proof/yank proof straps and easily accessible holster pockets will also do the ladies just fine.

A thigh holster isn't exactly the most secured means of carry not to mention ease of draw either.

Everything is a compromise, and to insist on body carry for all situations and then expect women to dress around it is ludicrous.

Hell, I'm a guy and I don't always carry IWB or OWB all the time either. It's pretty hard to do that while wearing heavy leathers while riding motorcycles and I'm not about to wear loose jeans and loose jacket instead of tightly fitted leather pants (crash protection) just so that I can IWB or OWB a gun while riding.

There's a reason why there are five hundred different modes of concealed/open carry so that people can choose what's best for them.

Back to female concealed carry again, a Beretta Tomcat loaded up with .22LR Stingers carried in a clutch is a lot better than nothing if the ladies were to want to wear some tight, skimpy clothings for an evening's outing. I'm not here to judge their characters or modes of attirement. And nobody should either, if they do, then they need to get off their high horses.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:56   #17
Clusterfrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
This is the reason I can't recommend purse or man-purse carry. IMO the gun needs to stay in your control 100% of the time you carry. So if that bag stays on her all the time than great. But I've never seen a purse user resist the urge to take it off and put it on the table, chair, etc. where it might be forgotten or taken.

Penalties for leaving a loaded weapon in public can be severe.
Old 02-26-2013, 13:32   #18
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
This is the reason I can't recommend purse or man-purse carry. IMO the gun needs to stay in your control 100% of the time you carry. So if that bag stays on her all the time than great. But I've never seen a purse user resist the urge to take it off and put it on the table, chair, etc. where it might be forgotten or taken.

Penalties for leaving a loaded weapon in public can be severe.
There are plenty of stories of people taking their guns off their belt holsters and proceeded to leave said guns in public toilets too.

Body carry isn't a guarantee for anything.
Old 02-26-2013, 14:27   #19
Clusterfrack

True, there's no cure for stupid.
Old 02-28-2013, 16:03   #20
Daniel r

Ok, so i shouldn't have opinions on womens carry, even though the several hundred which attended my training seemed to appreciate my opinion. My advice is not gender specific. Everyone should carry the largest caliber of which they are comfortable, and proficient.
As for an evening out with the girls, there are compromises to be made, dress for carry, even if the guys watching don't like you covered. If you are going out for drinks, most CCW prohibits alcohol consumption while carrying, if not prohibition of carry into bars. Even guys have to make accomodations in dress for carry.
My Wife as stated by jjdoner is 5'6" and 110lbs she carries a G23 as EDC. She occasionally carries a g21 iwb.
Yes there are many, many types of holsters to choose from,but when someone asks advice we can only attest to what we have tried or used.
To the OP, pm me and I will personsonally send you a LAW Concealment holster for you to try.

To all these "GUYS" who think women should only carry a 22, I agree, as long as it is a Glock 22 in 40 S&W

Dan

Last edited by Daniel r; 02-28-2013 at 16:03..
Daniel r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 14:35   #21
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Who says that you shouldn't have an opinion? However your opinion is exactly just that. A woman should be well informed about the various types of guns and carrying modes.

She and she alone should be the one that determines what is best for her.

As far as .22lr guns go, one in the purse is better than a Glock 22 elsewhere.

Old 03-08-2013, 16:45   #22
Daniel r

Inconsistant, but true. Women do need to make up thier own minds. When advice is asked then it will be given. With this in mind, I find it funny that you were in fact arguing with a woman about what is best for women. Women have minds of thier own, and are typically better natural shooters then men, mainly because they listen, and want to learn. Most women I know like larger caliber handguns. I know several which carry 2 1/2" S&W 629 s or S&W 686s. The little old lady you were picking a fight with has 2 G23s and a Dan Wesson in 357.
And lastly, from your profile, and tag line, you present yourself as the least qualified to give advice to ANY female.
Yes there are many ways to carry, and many handguns. As was stated in the GATE Self defence forum, women face the same threats as men, so the same weapons are justified..
I am officially done with this thread.
Dan
Daniel r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:49   #23
willy1094

Send a message via AIM to willy1094
Just throwing this out. The flash bang holster seems pretty interesting. Anyone have any thoughts on them?
willy1094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:10   #24
Pier23

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy1094 View Post
Just throwing this out. The flash bang holster seems pretty interesting. Anyone have any thoughts on them?
Not aware of it. Links, pix, details?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:56   #25
4Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post
Not aware of it. Links, pix, details?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=flash+bang+holster
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote