Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-20-2013, 20:43   #21
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberRust View Post
I know a lot here hate on me for saying this but here a goes.

OP, the 18.5 inch for skeet is fine, as long as you do your part. I notice little difference between my 500 on the 18 vs the 28. Also, testing the reach theory out with birdshot vs a 28 inch barrel with a modified choke, we tested on self pull, and saw how far I could connect with clays...... It turned out to be about just as far as the other shooter that had a modified choke in his gun.

Does the 28 inch barrel give you an advantage in shooting skeet? Perhaps, but I'd like to up my proficiency with my HD gun on tiny 4 inch clay discs flying through the air, so if god forbid I ever have to use it in an HD situation, that big torso going a fraction of the speed of the disc will seem a little easier to hit (in theory).

To each their own, you'd be surprised at what scores you can make with an 18 inch, and you may be amused by the people you'll upset when you do outshoot their 1-2k gamer shotguns in a friendly match.
No hate from here and you are right about upsetting those people that think they can buy skill with their high price shotguns.

I still remember some guy that out shot us all in five station sporting clays with a 410 Mossberg pump. He put all 25 of his shells in his jean pockets and saved his empties in his back pocket. The only thing high dollar item was his Winchester AA ammo.
Old 02-20-2013, 23:37   #22
Inebriated

I've done it many times with good results.

It's not quite as easy to point consistently as a 32" O/U, and not quite as quick, but I've never felt terribly disadvantaged.

If you're just looking to spend an afternoon having fun, there's absolutely no reason why you can't do it. If you're looking to get competitive, you'll find yourself wanting a more skeet-oriented gun.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
Black Rifle Club Member #2L8
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:59   #23
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Longer barrel means longer sight radius and more weight for swing thru.
Try it and see then try a longer barreled gun, world of difference.
Old 02-22-2013, 00:18   #24
FloorPoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
You could also just get another barrel for your Mossberg, very easy to change out
Yep, and stocks too.
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 18:45   #25
Calhoun123

I think all those saying shooting clays with shorter barrels is hard, are full of baloney.

Here is what I suggest, and it ties in with another poster. Get a Remington 870 Turkey which has a 21" barrel and rem chokes. Put a modified choke in it and add a +2 or +3 mag extension. Then, your good for defense or sporting use. You will not have any problem scoring hits with that 21" barrel. Another option would be a Mossberg 500 youth with 21" barrel and screw in chokes.
Calhoun123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 21:54   #26
Aceman

I have shot my 535 with the 22" Turkey barrel a few times. I prefer the 28" or 26" or whatever it is.

And yes - a 22" Turkey gun with mod choke is not a bad all-arounder period!
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote