SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-24-2013, 13:30   #1
proaudioguy

Best Self Defense loads for

I searched and had no luck.
What are the current best self defense loads in 45ACP, 38 special, and 9mm luger?

I saw your video back in the 80s I think where you liked cor bon. Technology has come a long way. What's the current best choice?

This would be for CC and home defense.

Do you still like buck shot loaded 20 gauge shells for home defense? Thinking Mossberg 500 for the wife.

Thanks
proaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 19:44   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Welcome to Glock Talk.

"Current best," of course is amatter of opinion, but the GATE section is about opinions, so...

In .45 ACP, I generally run a high-tech hollow point at standard velocity. Once feeding reliability has been established, yhou have the same recoil and trajectory as less expensive practice 230 grain hardball. The better 230 grain JHP loads have established an excellent track record in the field in terms of doing what they're designed to do.

In .38 Special, I generally go with Speer 135 grain +P Gold Dot in my snubbies (what it was designed for) and 158 grain Remington Express lead semi-wadcutter +P hollow point for my four-inch .38s.

9mm is the biggest bone of contention in the "caliber wars." Personally, everything I've been able to research leads me to Winchester 127 grain Ranger-T +P+ and Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P, followed by any of several good 115 grain jacketed hollow point rounds in the 1300 foot-second velocity range.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:43   #3
proaudioguy

Thank you
Old 03-04-2013, 20:58   #4
proaudioguy

Picked up 9mm Speer Gold Dot 115 GR GDHP at Gander (only 9mm in stock), and it's for the Kel-Tek PF9 my wife just bought so I think that the +p may not be advised (I'll read the manual). Hopefully this will serve her well if heaven forbid she ever needs it. Going to try to get some range ammo and put about 500 rnds through it for break in, but I suppose we should also try this SD ammo to make sure it cycles well. I'm carrying Federal Hydra Shock in my 1911 at the moment. Ammo is pretty scarce around here.