SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-23-2013, 21:21   #1
mrmedina
NRA Member

New Wifi setup

I feel like a expert, I was complaining to Comcast about my bill over new customers freebies . I was transferred to customer retention, they gave me the top tier internet called the "Blast" with over 30 mpbs minimum speeds.

Thanks to "Josh" I did get the cable modem, wifi router. And he saved me a little bit of money for a 12 month promotion. But I was able to set up my own 'net wifi. I am stoked running around the house with no wires. Like I said, I feel like a expert.

Big Dawg #1406, Sub Club #104
Kalashnikov Klub# 1105, Black Rifle Forum #1105
mrmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 23:41   #2
Adjuster

If youre renting the equipment from Comcast you got suckered. Always purchase your own modem and router. It is inexpensive and yours to do with as you please.

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 00:19   #3
mrmedina
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
If youre renting the equipment from Comcast you got suckered. Always purchase your own modem and router. It is inexpensive and yours to do with as you please.

/

Yeah, I know. 7 bucks more a month for rental. I'm just a little poor right now to go buy my own. Still, like I said, I'm paying a little less than before even with rental modem. I did have my own cable modem before with no wifi.

Big Dawg #1406, Sub Club #104
Kalashnikov Klub# 1105, Black Rifle Forum #1105
mrmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:09   #4
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
I'd say purchase your router but modem is iffy especially when some companies upgrade their network every fee years and the only way to get faster speeds is a newer modem.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-24-2013, 13:47   #5
JBCIII

Hmm... I got a cable modem during installation, but ended up buying a wireless router later when I got the first laptop. When we recently moved we held onto both, but installer gave us a new modem (turned the other one in) and a new wireless router too. My old one was 802.11g, and this is n, so there is a noticeable difference. I'll have to check by bill, but don't remember any extra charges - in fact our plan 'renegotiated' to a lower amount than before. Only thing that feels bad about it is the other router is surplus now.
Old 02-24-2013, 14:04   #6
Adjuster

The new N router will only benefit you if your laptop is N capable. All new laptops within the past year are N capable. No matter what your wifi connection speed you are still limited by the speed of your ISP internet connection. For instance my Comcast speed is measured at between 10-20mbps however my router to computer wifi b/g speed is capable of 54mbps. Obviously I will never benefit from my wifi 54mbps speed and 99.9% of people will never benefit from their N router 300mbps speed. However you will see a huge benefit from N speed for instance if you have an N capable wifi computer and you have an N capable wifi printer or any other peripheral device. They will transfer data at the N 300mbps speed between each other.

/
Adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 15:53   #7
blk08c6

I agree with the second post here, definitely purchase your own modem...
blk08c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 21:57   #8
srhoades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
No matter what your wifi connection speed you are still limited by the speed of your ISP internet connection. For instance my Comcast speed is measured at between 10-20mbps however my router to computer wifi b/g speed is capable of 54mbps. Obviously I will never benefit from my wifi 54mbps speed and 99.9% of people will never benefit from their N router 300mbps speed.

/
Not entirely true. Because of communication overhead the maximum on 802.11G is more like 24mpbs and that is assuming a perfect signal. Real life is probably around 15mbps assuming you are the only wireless user.
And although you may not gain any Internet speed from switching to N, it definitely makes local sharing and streaming faster.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire