SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-23-2013, 16:54   #1
FloridaGun
-> 10mm <-

Tracking # of Rounds Fired in Your Guns

I just bought some more guns recently and I have this idea that I could keep an record of the amount of ammo fired through each gun. One benifit is that I would know when its time to replace certain parts before they break. Another is that if I was to sell one of my guns I would be able to tell the person buying how many rounds it has had fired.

Anyone think this is a good I idea as well??

-FloridaGlockers #500 -Kalashnikov Klub #51

GOA and NRA Lifetime Member
FloridaGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 17:06   #2
jakebrake
cracker

i think it's overkill. depending on what you're shooting, that pistol may outive you. rahter than overthink it, take the pitol you own, and try to wear it out.

you'll probably go broke before you accomplish this task.
Old 02-23-2013, 17:25   #3
SNH Glocks

No, I think it is a waste of time.
SNH Glocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 17:30   #4
waawaaweenie

just keep one of these with you whenever you shoot

and get one for each gun you have and you are good to go

Gunsmithing
waawaaweenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 17:37   #5
BMiracletx

I do this. I can tell you exactly how many rounds have been fired through each of my guns... and for the exact same reasoning that you have. I know when to change springs, and I also track when it was last cleaned. Overkill? Perhaps... but it takes practically no time. I have a log book in my range bag.
BMiracletx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 18:16   #6
GRT45
Transform & Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaGun View Post
I just bought some more guns recently and I have this idea that I could keep an record of the amount of ammo fired through each gun. One benefit is that I would know when its time to replace certain parts before they break. Another is that if I was to sell one of my guns I would be able to tell the person buying how many rounds it has had fired.

Anyone think this is a good I idea as well??
I think it's a good idea and your reasons are top on my list. I don't do anything fancy. I just tear off the end flaps of ammo boxes as they are emptied, write the date on them and throw them in my range bag. Every 1 or 2 months I'll count the end flaps and record the round count and ammo type in an Excel spreadsheet. I'm sure there are much more high-tech ways to keep track with smart phone apps and such (see Posts #16 and #17 below).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout

Last edited by GRT45; 02-23-2013 at 22:20..
GRT45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 18:27   #7
dkf

I know roughly what my guns have through them but I am not keeping track. Don't really care either. I keep some spare parts on hand and replace parts if/when needed.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 18:28   #8
Bruce M

I don't. The time that I would spend doing that instead I spend here on Glock Talk. Oh and sometimes outside trying to spot the chemtrails.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 18:28   #9
fuzzy03cls

I keep count till 1K..after that it's an estimate.
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 18:43   #10
Z71bill

I have a little notebook -

I may bring 5 or 6 guns to the range - some the same caliber -

So if I have shot three 9MM handguns and I know I burned through 250 rounds of 9MM

When I get home I estimate

PM9 - 25 rounds
G19 150 rounds
M&P9 75 rounds

Close enough - after all I am not some weirdo with a complex.

Writing it down takes me only 28 seconds and since I hold my breath while I do it time sort of stands still.

This does not count the 4 minutes and 34 seconds it takes me to wash my hands two times before and then three times after I write it down. I could shave off some of this hand washing time but I must run up and down the stairs while I dry my hands off.

Last edited by Z71bill; 02-24-2013 at 08:02..
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 19:20   #11
LampShadeActual

Far easier just to keep general track of the 2000 count boxes of Midway bulk bullets you buy and reload.

Or that your 4000 rounds of reloads got turned into 4000 empties again and need reloaded for the second time this year, same as for the last 6 years.

Or that you took it out every week and fired 100 rounds of centerfire after firing 200 rounds of .22LR in the AA converter.

If you have time for an exact round count, you are mis-using your time.
LampShadeActual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 19:35   #12
SCmasterblaster

Since 1989 - I have lost track!
Old 02-23-2013, 19:36   #13
Jim S.

Until I got a Glock I never kept track of round count and never saw the need to.
I only did with my Glock(s) because I read and heard of how durable and reliable they are.
So I kept track of my two Glocks up until recently when I felt it was a waste of time and effort.
I detail strip my guns after every shoot.
I inspect each part and change things if needed or for the springs if there is any indication of a problem.
With Glocks I have found that there really is no set time or amount of rounds fired that would require a parts change.
I quit after my 21 hit 15,000 rounds and my 36 hit 14,000 rounds.
They both function as good as they did when they were new.
As far as keeping track. Go ahead and keep track. It's sort of fun to see how many rounds are through a gun and what the condition is of that gun.
Old 02-23-2013, 19:49   #14
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member

I tried to when I started with an excel spreadsheet, but the effort just became not worth it. I have too much to mess with it and never any real problems. If there was a real problem I'd be getting rid of the gun if it was an important one. And if it's not an important one malfunctions don't matter.
Old 02-23-2013, 20:27   #15
Vince49
Aeroscout

Nothing elaborate.

Not fancy and takes no time at all. I keep one of these in the pistol bag for each gun I have. I also like to have an idea about such thingsas spring wear etc. though I agree with those that say I will wear out long before any of my Glocks. (Of course I have a huge head start)!

Gunsmithing
Old 02-23-2013, 20:41   #16
Monte4283

Theres an app for that. Its called Gun Log

http://skunkworkssoftware.com/homepage/Gun_Log.html
Monte4283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 21:07   #17
OuttaHand

I have an iPhone and use an app called "Gun Log" It allows you to set up each gun you own (with purchase data, modifications, photos, etc) You can enter your inventory of ammo including reloads. If you want to keep track of details like drop data you can even do that.
Each time you shoot you enter your session. You can keep track of which guns, which ammo and hoiw many rounds, weather conditions, notes on your session, etc
In doing all of that, it keeps track of how many rounds you've put through each gun, as well as keeping track of your ammo inventory.

Yes-- it takes a little time to enter things, but the record keeping is fantastic.
OuttaHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 22:07   #18
onebigelf

I keep a gun log. Not so much for this, although I can tell you round count as well, but I track what ammo I fired, how many rounds of each kind, any problems experienced, and adjustments made, what mags I used (they're all numbered so I can track a problem mag if it crops up). I track what kind of practice I did, what drills I worked on, at what distances, and how I shot. I make a note of anything I need to work on next time. i do this for each firearm. Always have.

John
onebigelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 22:20   #19
furioso2112

I do it it more or less - some of my guns it's hard to justify, as when I start changing parts. Like when I was trying to get my favorite 9mm Glock setup, and was changing some bits between guns, using different triggers, barrels, slides, etc. - it got too confusing and too many things to track. But for other guns that I have assembled or left stock, they change very little so it makes more sense. I like to have some idea in case I come into a situation where I am likely to sell or trade a gun, or am in the mood and presented with a situation to buy one - if I know I like a particular gun a lot, which happens to be somewhat rare, I would consider in my decision of whether to buy what sort of wear is on the gun at issue and the gun I already own. When my kids inherit some guns, they might want to have an idea of its use, etc. It also is a way to show investment in my hobby and commitment to detail. I have never really considered it a selling point, because if I am selling to a party unfamiliar with me, they really would have little reason to trust what I claim is accurate. And 100 rounds of WWB through a Glock 9mm with proper treatment and storage in between, is different than 100 reloads of unknown origin through an irreplaceable revolver with no cleaning and poor treatment in between. It's useful to me for my guns, but that's about it.
Old 02-23-2013, 22:27   #20
Walk Soft

I guess by counting how many cases of ammo I have/buy per year.
Walk Soft is offline   Reply With Quote