Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 01:56   #351
BobbyS
You Talkin ToMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
Well said, PW. I disagree with most of your analysis, but thats simply my view versus yours.

From your vantage point, as I understand it, we live in a dark, dangerous place where only armed citizens keep the criminals in check. I judge society based on what I experience day-in and day-out, and its far different from your description. You choose to emphasize the underbelly, and I generally see a positive, peaceful, God fearing society.

Time will tell who has the clearer view.

A persons perspective of what is good or bad going on around them may be attributed to where they live. It may also be attributed to ones background too.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:06   #352
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Quote:
I have revealed that I prefer to carry C3, and I often don't carry a firearm at all. My explanation for these choices is that my lifestyle (retired, gated community, low-crime town) allows me to stay away from places/areas where assaults and armed robberies happen; the exceptions would be stopping points while traveling, late-night visits of necessity to the drug store, etc.

For those who CC every place, every day and choose C1, are there any circumstances where you would feel comfortable unarmed? Years ago yes, but not anymore.

Are there any places where you could turn off situational awareness and eliminate the tension of being constantly prepared for attack? Yes, but they are far and few between of late. But there is no need for "tension", you will do better in every aspect of your life if you are relaxed but ready.

Since most who always CC feel a low probability of attack still doesn't allow for being comfortable without a weapon, I'm wondering why so many people in the general public, including nearly everyone I've known over 70+ years, see no need to be armed in everyday life. Where is the disconnect? It always happens to someone else...it can't happen to me.

I understand there are dangerous places in cities everywhere. I realize there can be random acts of violence in churches and other safe havens. What I don't understand is why so few see the need to be armed always while so many never take self defense measures beyond locking their doors. It always happens to someone else...it can't happen to me.

Is the disconnect the result of naïveté among the masses? Yes
Is my perception of relative safety in my life a matter of self deception? No, you are less likely to be a victim if you are living in a gated community, but if you become a victim the price is still the same.

Is continuous carry in C1 and constant readiness for combat, including preparation for operating a gun after sustaining wounds, a prescription for every sensible person? Yes, sort of. It's something you need to be able to turn on and off like a light switch. You still have a life to live and enjoy, carrying and being prepared should enhance the experience not detract from it.

Or, are different levels of SD preparedness reasonable based on the circumstances of one's life? I think one should always be prepared but the level of preparedness can be different depending on the circumstances you are in. I believe this is a relevant aspect of the C1-C3 discussion. I agree.
I do feel odd when I'm not armed but I think that has a lot more to do with having carried a weapon for 40 years than a fear of being attacked. I feel odd without a cell phone with me anymore too.

I was also the victim of an attempted strong arm robbery in the parking lot of a Federal Courthouse within fifty yards of the security desk. It happened as I was leaving and removing my G36 from my glove box and putting it in my waistband (C1 - in a holster) encouraged the fellows to bother someone else.

So while some places are more secure than others, there are no safe places. Millionaires living in gated communities commit murder or have mental health issues too. And on top of that they have a lot of "stuff" that others want to get without earning it.

If I were living as you say you are I would probably pocket my S&W 442 when I took the dog for a walk and not worry about it. But I have made a commitment to always be armed and able to protect myself and my family.

You just make your choices based on the info you have available. If you make the wrong choice you try to keep a good attitude and resolve to do better next time.

As to why others don't feel the need to be armed? I believe it's just another form of denial. They honestly don't believe anything bad is going to happen to them and they are always completely surprised when it does.

Still prefer C1.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

Last edited by happyguy; 02-21-2013 at 07:27..
Old 02-21-2013, 07:49   #353
G-34

how did this thread make an EPIC 15 PAGES??????

"There is nothing so terrible as ignorance in motion.."
-Skyhook
Old 02-21-2013, 08:08   #354
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
SC-
From the looks of your low crime statistics in Hartford, you'd have a hard time finding an attacker to use your G17 on. Thats a very good thing for you and fellow residents.

The state of Vermont also has a remarkably low rate for violent crimes:

"Based on this report [City Ratings.Com], the crime rate in Vermont for 2013 is expected to be lower than in 2010 when the state violent crime rate was lower than the national violent crime rate average by 71.88% and the state property crime rate was lower than the national property crime rate average by 2.33%."

You folks are doing something right up there to discourage violent crime. What's your secret? Maybe this is part of the explanation:

"Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont does allow anyone who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind."

Good for Vermont!!
While we may like to think that Vermont's liberal state policy of carrying arms (no permit for any mode) is a prime reason for that state's low crime rates, the real reason has more to do with the demographics. Vermont has a very homogenous population which has extremely low percentages of the demographic groups which have the highest crime rates in the nation (black and hispanic). The people who live there, in large part, can trace their lineage back a number of generations in the state. This leads to a commonality and a "buy-in" to traditions and culture, untainted by external forces.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:12   #355
JEEPX

Rotate between a G26, and a CM9.
Always one in the chamber.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19   #356
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Police officer carry: One in the chamber, ready to fire

Bad guy carry: One in the chamber, ready to fire.

Anyone else see a pattern here?

Why would anyone legally carrying a pistol, NOT want a round in the chamber, ready to fire?

Old 02-21-2013, 09:42   #357
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

OP: Some problems have more than one correct answer. Do what you feel most comfortable with. Don't let others talk you into doing what is uncomfortable FOR YOU.

I was uncomfortable carrying with one in the pipe at first. I installed a Siderlock trigger safety, used it for almost a year. Now I carry with stock trigger and one chambered because I'm comfortable with it.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:47   #358
TEXASTACTICAL

Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASTACTICAL
Here are some actual numbers on the subject if anyone is interested.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1473148
Old 02-21-2013, 10:43   #359
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
I do feel odd when I'm not armed but I think that has a lot more to do with having carried a weapon for 40 years than a fear of being attacked. I feel odd without a cell phone with me anymore too.

I was also the victim of an attempted strong arm robbery in the parking lot of a Federal Courthouse within fifty yards of the security desk. It happened as I was leaving and removing my G36 from my glove box and putting it in my waistband (C1 - in a holster) encouraged the fellows to bother someone else.

So while some places are more secure than others, there are no safe places. Millionaires living in gated communities commit murder or have mental health issues too. And on top of that they have a lot of "stuff" that others want to get without earning it.

If I were living as you say you are I would probably pocket my S&W 442 when I took the dog for a walk and not worry about it. But I have made a commitment to always be armed and able to protect myself and my family.

You just make your choices based on the info you have available. If you make the wrong choice you try to keep a good attitude and resolve to do better next time.

As to why others don't feel the need to be armed? I believe it's just another form of denial. They honestly don't believe anything bad is going to happen to them and they are always completely surprised when it does.

Still prefer C1.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
Great post...thoughtful and well stated. We don't agree on everything, but I sure respect your opinion and the way you present it.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 02-21-2013 at 10:50..
Old 02-21-2013, 11:01   #360
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul53 View Post
OP: Some problems have more than one correct answer. Do what you feel most comfortable with. Don't let others talk you into doing what is uncomfortable FOR YOU.
Amen, brother. Thats what this exercise is all about: understand your responsibility and accountability, consider your options, honestly evaluate your competence with a handgun, determine your self defense needs and make a decision. Whether you decide on C1 or C3, it is strictly YOUR CALL.

If you go through a thoughtful process to decide your mode of carry, no one can ever say you are reckless, foolish, chicken, on an ego trip or anything else commonly associated with questionable CC decision making. Just think it through.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 02-21-2013 at 13:53..
Old 02-22-2013, 09:09   #361
vandros
10mm fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
I've been following this thread with great interest. The discussion is, for the most part, intelligent.

Anyway, I've strayed from the topic, thanks for keeping this thread intelligent, far too many of them degrade into something less.
I think thanks to informal "moderation" of this thread by PhotoFeller (through explicit encouragement to be civil and personal example of what thoughtful discourse looks like) this thread has remained highly rational and useful (despite attempts by many to turn it into flaming screaming dumb-down sarcasm contest that the internet has plenty of).
Old 02-22-2013, 17:30   #362
SouthernBoyVA

Before relating this story, I would like to reiterate that my take on carrying with a round in the chamber is a personal decision for people to take. I happen to carry in C1 with all of the handguns in my carry stable and that is my decision. Some folks believe otherwise and they have every right to do as they see fit. And a few have written that they carry in less than full battery in places where they believe there is no chance of an attack while they go C1 in other places where they believe there is a greater chance of an attack. Once again, their choice.

Last night a man left a church event saying he was going to go home, walk his dog, and hop into bed. His neighborhood is upper middle class (homes in the $400,000+ range). As he was walking his dog, he was robbed and shot. He died soon after. An off duty LEO happened to hear the gunfire, saw a man running away, and gave chase. The perp was caught and had some of the victim's property on his person plus a stolen handgun. He was arrested and charged.

Now some people on this thread may think that in one's own quiet neighborhood and walking one's dog is about as benign as it can get so why carry a firearm, much less one in full battery. We don't know what this man thought, don't even know if he was a carrier. But he paid with his life for doing something he does every night in what he must have believed was total safety.

This goes to prove the one constant in this entire thread, and in life in general. You never know when something is going to happen.... something bad. And in the worse case scenario, it could cost your life. So I would suggest to you folks to plan accordingly and give serious consideration to your actions and beliefs. God only gave you one life. Please do your best to protect it.

Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; 02-23-2013 at 04:47..
Old 02-22-2013, 18:14   #363
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post

Why would anyone legally carrying a pistol, NOT want a round in the chamber, ready to fire?

There are plenty of reasons. This thread is full of them if you read through it.

Edit: On second thought, I see that this was a rhetorical question.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

Last edited by happyguy; 02-22-2013 at 18:16..
Old 02-22-2013, 18:35   #364
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
Last night a man left a church event saying he was going to home, walk his dog, and hop into bed. His neighborhood is upper middle class (homes in the $400,000+ range). As he was walking his dog, he was robbed and shot. He died soon after. An off duty LEO happened to hear the gunfire, saw a man running away, and gave chase. The perp was caught and had some of the victim's property on his person plus a stolen handgun. He was arrested and charged.

Now some people on this thread may think that in one's own quiet neighborhood, walking one's dog is about as benign as it can get so why carry a firearm, much less one in full battery. We don't know what this man thought, don't even know if he was a carrier. But he paid with his life for doing something he does every night in what he must have believed was total safety.

This goes to prove the one constant in the entire thread and in life in general. You never know when something is going to happen.... something bad. And in the worse case scenario, it could cost your life. So I would suggest to you folks to plan accordingly and give serious consideration to your actions and beliefs. God only gave you one life. Please do your best to protect it.
Since we don't know the particulars of the crime let's say if the victim had been carrying C1 but was unexpectedly surprised he would have still been at a disadvantage whether he'd decided to attempt to draw on not.
Old 02-22-2013, 18:40   #365
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post

This goes to prove the one constant in the entire thread and in life in general. You never know when something is going to happen.... something bad. And in the worse case scenario, it could cost your life. So I would suggest to you folks to plan accordingly and give serious consideration to your actions and beliefs. God only gave you one life. Please do your best to protect it.
True.

If I had a dog, I would walk it in my neighborhood at night without much concern. I might have a G19 in my pocket even though no one has been attacked in the 10 years my community has existed. It could happen, though.

I do own bicycles, and I ride them around town with great pleasure.
I firmly believe that I'm exposed to greater risk on a bike than I am walking in my neighborhood.

How can I mitigate the risk of being struck by a car or a cement truck when I'm out for a ride? Well, I could stay home, or I could ride in circles in a school parking lot. Instead, since I want to ride freely, I accept the favorable odds against being struck by a vehicle; in other words, I accept the low probability of being hit if I do my part by riding safely (danger avoidance and situational awareness on a bike). Still, I could get clobbered.

We make probability based decisions consciously and subconsciously in everything we do, every day. We put our kids on a school bus (without seat belts!) believing they will be safe, and they probably will. We show up at our place of employment believing we will be safe; odds are we will be. We take the family on a driving vacation assuming we'll be safe, and there is a good chance we will. However, each of these relatively safe activities could result in a deadly outcome (a "worse case scenario").

For me, carrying C1 represents a higher risk of ND than the risk of being attacked in a manner that would prevent me from responding effectively from C3. It's that simple. It's about weighing the risks of my options. If I lived in a dangerous neighborhood where the risk of surprise attack is high, I might be compelled to carry C1...and put my bike in storage.

God did give us just one life. He also gave us the intellectual capacity to maneuver through each complex day by making a lot of decisions based on probabilities. We do our best to protect this precious life by staying within the bounds of acceptable risks. I get 'er done with C3.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 02-24-2013 at 12:23..
Old 02-23-2013, 04:44   #366
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
Since we don't know the particulars of the crime let's say if the victim had been carrying C1 but was unexpectedly surprised he would have still been at a disadvantage whether he'd decided to attempt to draw on not.
Could be true. Of course, we'll never know. A strong situational awareness and the means with which to protect oneself is the best medicine you can have when going out and about.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:12   #367
Smooth_squeeze
CM9 - big bite

Just saw this thread as a new one, and started reading.

Came across this interesting post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandros View Post
I never had and never will have round in the chamber - instead I practice racking the slide when dryfiring. Racking slide instinctively becomes as quick/smooth as drawing from the holster. The time it takes me to take the gun out, rack the slide, and place sights on target is minimal since the gun follows the same trajectory out of the holster and on target without slowing down. Racking the slide takes place while the gun is moving to the target.

My rationale - I want to guarantee no AD due to operator error and I don't want to shoot myself in the hip when the adrenaline dump begins and your fine motor reflexes go out the window making you likely to accidentally place finger on the trigger and squeeze the trigger without realizing you are doing this. Some might argue: Practice keeping the f@$#&ng finger off the trigger. And, I do. But, I want an extra precaution for the flight/fight episodes.

If not cambering round works for Israeli military - a superb force operating in some of the most challenging/dangerous environments - it is good enough for me.

But you need to practice (and practice, and practice) racking the slide. As a very useful bonus, being able to quickly rack the slide makes you faster when clearing malfunctions.

Now, about the Israeli draw. I practiced it, a lot. And can do it pretty well, I think.

When I showed the draw to an Army Ranger friend of mine, a sniper, he watched me do it several times dry firing the gun, and said that in the time it took me to get off the first round that he would have 3 bullets already fired.

A few minutes ago, I ran this dry fire drill, where you draw at the beep: www.predatortactical.com/uploads/media/Flashfiles/drawbeepSlider082504.swf

and was able to perform the Israeli draw and fire from an OWB holster on my hip at 4 o'clock, without a cover garment. The best I could achieve was draw from holster, rack the slide and fire on target in 1.2 seconds. I did this consistently. When drawing in the same manner but without racking the slide, I consistently drew and fired in .8 sec. BIG difference. That .4 seconds difference would easily be at least two more rounds out the pipe.

Question is, how well can someone perform the Israeli draw under stress? Pretty well, I'm sure. 1.2 seconds is alright, maybe it's poor, maybe not. But it's almost half a second slower, for me. YMMV. That, IMHO, is too big a difference, at least for me. If I had no choice but to do it the Israeli way, that's a different story.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:57   #368
Black Eagle

I carry without one in the chamber. Sorry i have no long epic diatribe about why. I just never feel threatened enough. Now that I think about it sometimes I do. When I have to go to that part of town to pick my nephew up for work. also I saw a U tube video with Ermey saying he never did either. But they always say, when you least suspect it...
Old 02-23-2013, 13:25   #369
PhotoFeller

Everybody is probably worn out from our "epic diatribe" posts, so good for you.

Your statement explains your point of view just fine.

Welcome to GT.
Old 02-23-2013, 13:55   #370
VinnieG

I wish every thread on this site was a civil discussion like this.
I am stuck to my opinion of carring c1 but it has been a good read to get other people's point of view
Old 02-23-2013, 14:35   #371
vandros
10mm fan

I'd refer you to this article, where the author explains the issue much better than I did.

http://thinkinggunfighter.blogspot.c...ry-or-why.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth_squeeze View Post
Just saw this thread as a new one, and started reading.

Came across this interesting post:

Now, about the Israeli draw. I practiced it, a lot. And can do it pretty well, I think.

When I showed the draw to an Army Ranger friend of mine, a sniper, he watched me do it several times dry firing the gun, and said that in the time it took me to get off the first round that he would have 3 bullets already fired.

A few minutes ago, I ran this dry fire drill, where you draw at the beep: www.predatortactical.com/uploads/media/Flashfiles/drawbeepSlider082504.swf

and was able to perform the Israeli draw and fire from an OWB holster on my hip at 4 o'clock, without a cover garment. The best I could achieve was draw from holster, rack the slide and fire on target in 1.2 seconds. I did this consistently. When drawing in the same manner but without racking the slide, I consistently drew and fired in .8 sec. BIG difference. That .4 seconds difference would easily be at least two more rounds out the pipe.

Question is, how well can someone perform the Israeli draw under stress? Pretty well, I'm sure. 1.2 seconds is alright, maybe it's poor, maybe not. But it's almost half a second slower, for me. YMMV. That, IMHO, is too big a difference, at least for me. If I had no choice but to do it the Israeli way, that's a different story.
Old 02-23-2013, 18:31   #372
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Well said, PW. I disagree with most of your analysis, but thats simply my view versus yours.

From your vantage point, as I understand it, we live in a dark, dangerous place where only armed citizens keep the criminals in check. ...
I wouldn't say it was my vantage point as far as it being intrinsic to my personal cognition as I first discussed these matters with the criminals themselves and then gleaned the worldview from their perspective(s), but not from the worldview I hold/held.
Quote:
...I judge society based on what I experience day-in and day-out, and its far different from your description. You choose to emphasize the underbelly, and I generally see a positive, peaceful, God fearing society.

Time will tell who has the clearer view.
Please, without googling or finding a dictionary, please define the term society as you use it?

In time I think you will perceive the aseptically errant usage of the term as bantered about by so many, which is especially true when it comes to politicians.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 02-23-2013 at 18:34..
Old 02-23-2013, 19:21   #373
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Warrior View Post
I wouldn't say it was my vantage point as far as it being intrinsic to my personal cognition as I first discussed these matters with the criminals themselves and then gleaned the worldview from their perspective(s), but not from the worldview I hold/held.

Please, without googling or finding a dictionary, please define the term society as you use it?

In time I think you will perceive the aseptically errant usage of the term as bantered about by so many, which is especially true when it comes to politicians.
First, I don't quarrel with your opinion about the perils of living wherever you live or wherever the criminals you interviewed came from..."a world where darkness abounds". Your "world view" is based on your collective experience, including input from criminals, while my perspective reflects mine. My life, past and present, is different from millions of people who live in less fortunate conditions, and I know that.

Define 'society' without looking it up, you say? I'll give you my definition, right or wrong, as follows:

Society means an environment/population in which acceptable social behavior (interactions between members of the society) is established and judged by the folkways, mores, customs, traditions, rules, regulations and laws established by and for it's inhabitants.

I think "God fearing society" is proper usage of 'society'.

Now that I've had a shot at tonight's assignment, please give me the correct definition or provide a good reference so I can look it up. My sociology professors (1965 and 1966: S101, S102, The family, The Community, Criminal Behavior) would be quite disappointed, I'm sure.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 02-24-2013 at 07:17..
Old 02-23-2013, 22:45   #374
VinnieG

The only bad thing that I have taken from this thread is that my vocabulary sucks lol.
Old 02-23-2013, 22:56   #375
Smooth_squeeze
CM9 - big bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandros View Post
I'd refer you to this article, where the author explains the issue much better than I did.

http://thinkinggunfighter.blogspot.c...ry-or-why.html

Thanks, Vandros. Very interesting article.

One of the things I got from the article by deduction is how excellent the Glock pistols are. And the quote by Mas Ayoob about not carrying a Glock inside the waistband without a holster makes total sense. In that circumstance, where the trigger would be exposed with the pistol simply shoved inside the waistband, there is definitely a danger of a ND. Ditto for plenty of much older autos. However, the author also wrote: "From my position, I tend to suggest chamber loaded carry as the normal and standard default position, just as I tend to suggest a DAO autoloader as the standard default weapon for those who choose to carry an autoloader."

Very, very interesting blogpost. Thanks again.
Closed Thread