GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:51   #41
AWMP

Was in AZ a few months ago for a course and took a lunch break and we walked into a burger joint only to see 7 or 8 folks open carry, wow was is a shocker not only to see it but to see everyone had no problem with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swipter View Post
Arizona doesn't have an issue with it and you don't need a CCW to do it.
AWMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 13:29   #42
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWMP View Post
Was in AZ a few months ago for a course and took a lunch break and we walked into a burger joint only to see 7 or 8 folks open carry, wow was is a shocker not only to see it but to see everyone had no problem with it.
AZ has awesome gun laws! I moved here partly because I believe it is a more free state than the one I moved from. That being said, the entire time I have lived here, I have only seen one person OCing. That was in a Sams Club. I really thought I would see more OCing, especailly in the "rural" county that I live in. I don't OC myself, but I do enjoy having the option if I should want to.

I hope Texas passes the OC law. More freedom is NEVER a bad thing.

In reference to someone walking into a 7-11 to rob it and upon seeing the guy in the back of the store OCing, the robber immediately shooting the OCer to quail the threat: I am guessing that most robbers, who walk into a store and saw a man with a gun in the back, would usually walk their behinds right back out of the store and try again at a better time. Just a guess, but I am thinking......
Old 02-23-2013, 17:00   #43
Deaf Smith

It is not the robber one is concerned with. Most robbers want money, not gun fights.

BUT, it's the nutjob that needs a gun that concerns me. That and fools who might just try to take ones gun.

Like I posted above, an OC carrier in Arizona did have his gun snatched and he was killed with it.

Deaf
Old 02-23-2013, 17:10   #44
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Smith View Post
It is not the robber one is concerned with. Most robbers want money, not gun fights.

BUT, it's the nutjob that needs a gun that concerns me. That and fools who might just try to take ones gun.

Like I posted above, an OC carrier in Arizona did have his gun snatched and he was killed with it.

Deaf
Looks like the story you posted was from Virginia. The details in the story are a little vague as to what went down. It does say the criminal took the gun from the gunowner after a struggle. He shot the gunowner after the gun owner ran after him. Not sure this was strictly an OC gun grab as such.
Old 02-24-2013, 16:08   #45
SCmasterblaster

Go OC TX!
Old 02-24-2013, 16:46   #46
Tx-SIG229

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
There are no reports I know of where an OCer was shot during a robbery.

It isn't that it has happened. It is do you want to be the first, and then how to avoid being "the first" while OCing.
thats 'assuming' (you know what happens when one does that) they're the only person at a specific public place OCing, or CCing for that matter

Last edited by Tx-SIG229; 02-24-2013 at 16:48..
Tx-SIG229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 17:16   #47
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekozak View Post
AZ has awesome gun laws! I moved here partly because I believe it is a more free state than the one I moved from. That being said, the entire time I have lived here, I have only seen one person OCing. That was in a Sams Club. I really thought I would see more OCing, especailly in the "rural" county that I live in. I don't OC myself, but I do enjoy having the option if I should want to.

I hope Texas passes the OC law. More freedom is NEVER a bad thing.

In reference to someone walking into a 7-11 to rob it and upon seeing the guy in the back of the store OCing, the robber immediately shooting the OCer to quail the threat: I am guessing that most robbers, who walk into a store and saw a man with a gun in the back, would usually walk their behinds right back out of the store and try again at a better time. Just a guess, but I am thinking......
I am looking into moving to AZ in about three years. Right up there by NV.
Old 02-24-2013, 20:59   #48
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekozak View Post
Looks like the story you posted was from Virginia. The details in the story are a little vague as to what went down. It does say the criminal took the gun from the gunowner after a struggle. He shot the gunowner after the gun owner ran after him. Not sure this was strictly an OC gun grab as such.
http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2012/02/17/6127119.htm

Smith, 17, is accused of robbing Tyler of his gun inside the BP station and fatally shooting him about 8:15 p.m. on Nov. 25. Tyler, 48, had a concealed-carry permit but had been wearing the gun in a holster, plainly visible. According to court documents, Smith grabbed the gun from Tyler during a struggle inside the store and shot Tyler in the chest after the victim chased Smith.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/te...a0a2b26ba.html

"Tyler, a customer at the BP station, was killed about 8:15 p.m. Friday, Nov. 25, inside the store. According to court papers, Smith and Hamiel arrived at the BP together on a single scooter and followed Tyler into the store.

Tyler, 48, had a concealed-carry permit, but his handgun was plainly visible that night in his holster, Johnson said.

"The suspects walk in and one immediately reached for Mr. Tyler's gun," Johnson said. Tyler did not draw his weapon.

According to court papers, Smith took Tyler's gun during a struggle and shot Tyler in the chest after the victim chased Smith inside the store. Authorities said they could not confirm that Tyler was killed with his own gun until they get the results of forensics testing. They also are awaiting test results to show whether the gun used to kill Tyler was the one used to shoot Cosby."

So yes he was OC and they did snatch his gun unawares. He chased to get the gun back and was shot dead.

Deaf
Old 02-25-2013, 02:25   #49
Tiro Fijo

The problem is that with the current Latino birth rate & illegals flooding the state Texas is predicted to become a bonafide Blue state by 2020.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:03   #50
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman11 View Post
Well the best way is to carry in a leather holster with a thumb break. Also be aware of your surroundings. AND practice, practice, practice.
I would put absolutely no faith in a thumb break to prevent a gun snatch.

It will keep the gun in the holster if you are running, jumping, rolling around on the ground, sky diving, swimming, in a car accident, or doing gymnastics, but even a total klutz can figure out how they work without ever putting their hands on one. Generally speaking if you can present the gun quickly from the holster with a minimum of thought and motion, so can someone else.

If I were going to make open carry a habit I would probably buy a level III security holster.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

"Nobody should ever run a race where they are lapped by the sun."

Last edited by happyguy; 02-25-2013 at 05:04..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:42   #51
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Smith View Post
http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2012/02/17/6127119.htm

Smith, 17, is accused of robbing Tyler of his gun inside the BP station and fatally shooting him about 8:15 p.m. on Nov. 25. Tyler, 48, had a concealed-carry permit but had been wearing the gun in a holster, plainly visible. According to court documents, Smith grabbed the gun from Tyler during a struggle inside the store and shot Tyler in the chest after the victim chased Smith.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/te...a0a2b26ba.html

"Tyler, a customer at the BP station, was killed about 8:15 p.m. Friday, Nov. 25, inside the store. According to court papers, Smith and Hamiel arrived at the BP together on a single scooter and followed Tyler into the store.

Tyler, 48, had a concealed-carry permit, but his handgun was plainly visible that night in his holster, Johnson said.

"The suspects walk in and one immediately reached for Mr. Tyler's gun," Johnson said. Tyler did not draw his weapon.

According to court papers, Smith took Tyler's gun during a struggle and shot Tyler in the chest after the victim chased Smith inside the store. Authorities said they could not confirm that Tyler was killed with his own gun until they get the results of forensics testing. They also are awaiting test results to show whether the gun used to kill Tyler was the one used to shoot Cosby."

So yes he was OC and they did snatch his gun unawares. He chased to get the gun back and was shot dead.

Deaf
So, are you for OC or not?

red
TopGun *357sig* Club - #2632
The 10 Ring #00720

R.I.P. Cajunator® ~ R.I.P. JTull7
R.I.P. Mullah (aka El_Ron1) ~ R.I.P. GioaJack ~ R.I.P. Okie
redbaron007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:36   #52
TK-421

I think that if you're allowed to open carry, you should be required to take a class teaching you how to retain your handgun, to try and avoid what happened in that convenience store.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:27   #53
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
I think that if you're allowed to open carry, you should be required to take a class teaching you how to retain your handgun, to try and avoid what happened in that convenience store.
Required?

What kind of 'requirement' is needed for the carrying of a hammer?

red
The 10 Ring #00720

Old 02-25-2013, 13:07   #54
CarryTexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennie1986 View Post
A gun snatch is one of those things people like to bring up about OC that they can never cite one instance of it happening. You have to have situational awareness, if you dont know whats going on around you then having a gun will be useless regardless of how you are carrying it.
Although I can't cite the story, it has happened. About a year or so ago some guy had his OC gun snatched.

He chased after the guy and when he caught up to him the guy turned around and killed him with his own gun.

It was discussed here on GT at the time.
Old 02-25-2013, 13:34   #55
xidica

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Negligent discharges happen with a likely higher statistical frequency than OC gun grabs, so by your logic, should everyone be *required* to pass training to even purchase a firearm?

Further, even licensed CHL holders can make mistakes. Does the statistically low probability of something going wrong mean that CC shouldn't be legal as well? That's ridiculous.

Come on guys, something here is being done to try and advance gun rights in Texas. Almost every other part of the nation is further restricting gun rights. As gun owners and responsible law abiding citizens we should all be embracing this and contacting representatives, regardless of whether or not you personally choose to open carry for tactical or personal reasons.

Being legal doesn't mean you'll see it spring up everywhere. Hell, I've lived in Texas for almost 30 years and long gun open carry is legal here and I can't remember many instances I've seen it, but it sure is nice when you need to bring a long gun into a gun shop from your car, especially when that gun shop is in a busy shopping center with other businesses.
Old 02-25-2013, 15:15   #56
oldman11

What I'm wondering is why are y'all making such a big deal about 1 gun snatch from an OC? If you don't feel safe with an OC, then don't carry that way. But let the people who are comfortable with it, carry how they want to.
Old 02-25-2013, 16:45   #57
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Quote:
What I'm wondering is why are y'all making such a big deal about 1 gun snatch from an OC? If you don't feel safe with an OC, then don't carry that way. But let the people who are comfortable with it, carry how they want to.
I'm not opposed to OC, but this is an open forum where people are expecting to be free to express their opinion.

As long as they don't get too rude I don't what the problem is.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

"Nobody should ever run a race where they are lapped by the sun."

Last edited by happyguy; 02-25-2013 at 16:45..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 16:49   #58
redbaron007
Lifetime Membership
A Nice Prick!

Quote:
Some remind me of my wife...if she doesn't like it or doesn't do it, then everyone should agree with her...cause she is right!

I don't tell people to CCW; but I do tell them to research it, to make an educated decision on it. Some have even decided to OC occasional.

OC is a preference. Some just don't see it that way.

red
The 10 Ring #00720