SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-22-2013, 17:04   #51
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
The vast majority of Americans do not have the credentials to legally own those weapons. To own them you need an FFL, which most do not have.
I am going to join those suggesting that you educate yourself before making such false statements publically.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 17:04   #52
hogfish
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBT View Post
Mr. Morrison, the author of the aritcle said 'already illegal', not Mr. Keene. Here's the quote...

"Keene answered "fully automatic weapons," which are already illegal for private citizens."

Mr. Keene said, "fully automatic weapons." See the quotation marks? They aren't around the words already illegal. That's Mr. Morrison's statement.

If Mr. Keene had said it the way it's been interpreted in this thread, the article would read "fully automatic weapons which are already illegal". But that's not what the author wrote. Mr. Keene only gets credit for 3 words "fully automatic weapons".
Good catch! I thought it was odd, but... I hope you're right.

"Almost no matter the question, capitalism and freedom are the answers, while government and religion are not." Syclone538
hogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 17:22   #53
railfancwb

I wrote the NRA a polite letter suggesting that they leave this alone, and further suggesting that they endeavor to replace the misnomer "assault weapon/rifle" used by the press and anti-gun groups with the correct term "semi-automatic rifle". To this point we have let the enemies frame the debate by using the name they assigned to the AR-15.

https://contact.nra.org/contact-us.aspx

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-22-2013, 17:23   #54
Glocksanity

It's called politics.

No way should Keene be going out there and start saying he thinks fully automatic weapons should be readily available. Were he to do that, the NRA would be compromised beyond repair in the public's mind.

So, just chillax, bro.

Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis!
Glocksanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 17:44   #55
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Email him and ask for a clarification of his statement.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 21:03   #56
Caver 60

I just want to let JBnTX and Arc Angel know that somebody else is on their side.

I've been an NRA member since the early sixties. I'm a life member and I just sent them a 50 dollar gift last month.

But over the decades I've seen them compromise on every important issue that came along during my life time. I hope this time they stand their ground and even go on the offensive. We can't afford to just play defense. We'll never win that way.

Political correctness and revisionist history are dooming this nation. Nobody knows what the Second Amendment means anymore. The news media runs this nation to suit their liberal political agenda. They are using (misusing) the First to destroy this nation. Once the Second Amendment is gone, it's over with.

JMHO
Caver 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 21:26   #57
railfancwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
The vast majority of Americans do not have the credentials to legally own those weapons. To own them you need an FFL, which most do not have.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. One has to fill out a BATFE form and submit to a detailed background check and pay a $200 tax...IF one's state laws allow civilian ownership of full automatic guns.

Or one in a permissive state can own a business/trust which completes a less detailed form and pays a $200 tax.

It is $200 per item by the way.

The common dealer FFL license has nothing to do with full automatic guns, or silencers, or sawed off shotguns or other NFA its.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-22-2013, 22:45   #58
jdeere_man
CLM Number 26
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
This being an area I'm totally unfamiliar with.. what if the weapon was not registered prior to 86.. can't own it?

Honestly, I thought as long as you had the tax stamps, paperwork, etc.. you could own any full auto/select auto.. not just pre-86 models.
regular folks can have the pre-86 stuff. If you are a Class 3/SOT dealer you can have post-86 stuff.

Of course government/lea/mil can have about anything they want
Old 02-23-2013, 01:01   #59
elsolo

So anybody see transcripts of what was asked, and the actual response yet?
Or are we still planning to lynch the guy over what a liberal media says he said?
elsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:07   #60
cdog533
Zombie Killer

He said exactly the right thing. If Joe Citizen starts thinking we are trying to protect "machine guns" they tend to get less supportive.

The issue is 'assault weapons' which I think we all agree means typical semi-auto guns like AR's and AKs.

Talking about Class 3 weapons, and pre-86 weapons, etc. will just complicate the issue.

The legally-owned full auto weapons are probably like .1% of the guns out there... Let's not confuse the issue any further than the left tries to already.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:47   #61
Inebriated

Anytime you get a permit for something, you're essentially gaining access to something illegal, no?
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:39   #62
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver 60 View Post
I just want to let JBnTX and Arc Angel know that somebody else is on their side.

I've been an NRA member since the early sixties. I'm a life member and I just sent them a 50 dollar gift last month.

But over the decades I've seen them compromise on every important issue that came along during my life time. I hope this time they stand their ground and even go on the offensive. We can't afford to just play defense. We'll never win that way.

Political correctness and revisionist history are dooming this nation. Nobody knows what the Second Amendment means anymore. The news media runs this nation to suit their liberal political agenda. They are using (misusing) the First to destroy this nation. Once the Second Amendment is gone, it's over with.

JMHO
Some men's opinions are worth more than others! It's easy to become lost while considering the minutia of this event; and, this seems to be where the thread is going!

You are, however, entirely correct. (IMO ) Thank you! Walk with God, my friend, because with the quality-of-thought you’ve just demonstrated, it's going to be difficult for you to walk with men.
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:21   #63
JohnBT
NRA Patron

"But over the decades I've seen them compromise on every important issue that came along during my life time."

Concealed carry? Shall issue? Carry in national parks? These weren't important? There are other examples that you must not feel are important because you said "every important issue."

I think you need to rethink your position and come down off your high horse.

John
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:48   #64
JBnTX
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver 60 View Post

JMHO
Thank you!...

There can be NO compromise on our 2nd amendment rights.
The NRA president has compromised a segment of firearms owners.

NRA members should at least demand an explanation.
Or a new president.
JBnTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:58   #65
JBnTX
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBT View Post

I think you need to rethink your position and come down off your high horse.

John
No, you're the one who needs to rethink his position.
Caver 60's post is right on the money.

The anti-gunners want ALL guns banned.
What don't you understand about that?

There are no less important issues in our fight for the 2nd amendment. We can't afford to ignore certain issues because we might piss off the anti gunners or "complicate" the issue.

If the NRA is willing to compromise on machine guns, then what other type weapons are they willing to compromise on?

The anti gunners want to ban the semi autos first because that's the path of least resistance for them. After the semi autos are banned, the anti gunners WILL go after the full autos.

Where will the NRA stand when the anti gunners come for the full autos?
Old 02-23-2013, 08:55   #66
Rustin

The NRA was founded by- THE US GOVERNMENT.

Screw the NRA, they've thrown us under the bus on more than one occasion. I'm with gunowners.org . Gun owners of America. They never budge. Let's help them to fight for our rights!
Rustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:15   #67
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustin View Post

Screw the NRA, they've thrown us under the bus on more than one occasion. I'm with gunowners.org . Gun owners of America. They never budge. Let's help them to fight for our rights!
Excellent. Tell me one thing, please.

What does the GOA actually DO?

I see where they put out press releases griping about the NRA. I see where they put faxes out. I see they have a mailing list. The dreaded press release doesn't exactly have everyone using the GOA as the gun lobby.

But what do they DO?

The NRA is a registered lobbying organization and they lobby the hell out of every state as well as nationally.

The SAF has filed more or less every suit you've ever heard of, including Heller and McDonald.

What has the GOA ever done? Seriously.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:52   #68
JohnBT
NRA Patron

"The NRA was founded by- THE US GOVERNMENT."

Really? Do you have a source for that claim? Are you sure it wasn't a couple of former Union Generals and a charter and a grant from the state of NY?

www.nrahq.org/history.asp

"Dismayed by the lack of marksmanship shown by their troops, Union veterans Col. William C. Church and Gen. George Wingate formed the National Rifle Association in 1871. The primary goal of the association would be to "promote and encourage rifle shooting on a scientific basis," according to a magazine editorial written by Church.

After being granted a charter by the state of New York on November 17, 1871, the NRA was founded. Civil War Gen. Ambrose Burnside, who was also the former governor of Rhode Island and a U.S. Senator, became the fledgling NRA's first president.
"
JohnBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 15:08   #69
silentpoet

He needs to be zumboed. Fire his ass.
silentpoet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 15:16   #70
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
This statement by National Rifle Association President David Keene is very disturbing.

Is he not aware that about 31 states allow the private ownership of fully automatic weapons, or does he really think they should be banned?

The NRA has never supported machine gun owners and now we know why.

In the future will the NRA agree to the banning of semi-auto weapons too?
It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2729865.html

He also took questions from students at the sold-out event.

One asked which kinds of weapons Keene thought should be illegal. Keene answered "fully automatic weapons," which are already illegal for private citizens.

Given the source and the fact that all they quote of his statement is the phrase "fully automatic weapons" then paraphrase what they claim he said about them, makes me suspect the story is false. Welcome to the internet.

Add to that, that I can only find a mention of this MAJOR reversal by the NRA on one site - Huffington Post.

Dishonest, leftist source + obviously suspicious style of quote + lack of other leftists jumping on the story + story is out of character for the NRA = PROBABLY A LIE.

Last edited by Bren; 02-23-2013 at 15:23..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 15:18   #71
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentpoet View Post
He needs to be zumboed. Fire his ass.
As I said above, consider the source. Any normal person knows at least half of every story on Huffington Post is false, yet you accept it without question? Even when you can see how they "quoted" his statement - only quoting the phrase "fully automatic weapons"? That looks trustworthy to you?
Old 02-23-2013, 15:22   #72
JJohnson
Call me Jeff

Quote:
Do you actually think the anti-gunners and the liberal press don't know about legal machine guns?
I have no doubt whatsoever. Most of them are clueless. So are most gun owners. It is a niche product that a limited subset of people can legally own. It is an even smaller subset of people who can actually afford one.
Old 02-23-2013, 15:48   #73
JBnTX
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
As I said above, consider the source. Any normal person knows at least half of every story on Huffington Post is false, yet you accept it without question? Even when you can see how they "quoted" his statement - only quoting the phrase "fully automatic weapons"? That looks trustworthy to you?
The NRA abandoned machine gun owners in 1934 and 1986.
Why should today be any different?

Last edited by JBnTX; 02-23-2013 at 15:53..
Old 02-23-2013, 15:48   #74
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustin View Post

A. No it wasn't.

B. Yep, they never budge - just sit there and take your money and tell you their opinions. Whens the last time you heard liberal politicians worrying about the power of the GOA? There is only one organization that matters enough to change a vote in congress and it ain't the GOA.

I honestly think that many of the posts we see like this are the left-wing trolls doing there part to try and help weaken the NRA, one potential member at a tme.

Last edited by Bren; 02-23-2013 at 15:49..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 15:51   #75
Jade Falcon
Go Blazers!

Quote:
That's your response?

In the current gun control debate there's a very thin line between full auto
and semi auto. A lot on non gun people don't even know the difference.

Does the NRA president actually think full auto weapons are illegal,
or does he know they're legal and thinks they should be banned?

Either way, it's cause for concern.

I agree.

<<< NRA member.

We already have enough stupid, uninformed masses out there. We don't need Stupid as President of a Pro-Gun organization.