Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:37   #76
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
It isn't? If you don't have legs, I would have to agree, but if you have legs, and can walk, one of the metrics for fitness is your resting heart rate, and your ability to get to 85% over that rate, and your O2 perfusion.

What you got that is going to do that apart from moving your limbs faster than you normally do to increase your respiratory rate, stroke volume and heart rate (and no, sex aint it.... )
Bicycling.

Doc says I'm done running unless I want to get replacement knees, so I thought about it and I'm done running.

Aquajogging, stair master, climber, cycling, elliptical, rowing, there are any number of things that will suffice that do not put the pounding of running on your joints.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:49   #77
Chaos
S.n.a.f.u.

No....not even close.
When doing a bit of range time, I've been told "draw, fire..run 10m to that station and fire again"
My reply is always "I carry a gun so that I don't have to run"

Chaos
Old 02-22-2013, 06:03   #78
Kona2004

35, 6'2" & 200lbs. Best shape of my life but still looking to improve. I'm running 30+ miles, doing 3-4 hours on the elliptical and lifting 3-4 days/week. Currently training for a half marathon in May.
Kona2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:13   #79
TravismPGA

In someways yes, do I need lots of improvement you bet. I play golf 5-7 days a week in season (which seems so far away here in S. Maine) I walk every round and hit the piss out of the ball. But I need to get to the gym asap
TravismPGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:16   #80
Huaco Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ASH* View Post
44 , take 10 meds daily , fighting cancer off and on for 3 years , i feel 80 sometimes but i keep fighting . i know i will be dead before 50
I'm almost 53 and battled IIIc breast cancer eleven years ago. I turned into a shriveled skeleton for a year or so and would spend all day in a chair. I never thought I would live this long and I prepared for the alternate a long time ago. It took a long time to come back, but I'm much more active and ornery than I have ever been. I've been playing hockey and working a very physical job. I walked my oldest daughter down the aisle about two years ago.
Huaco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:31   #81
GlockViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
I did an ironman a few years ago in less than 15 hours. Would that mean I'm at least in decent shape?
That would be a YES!!!
Fix Reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason than of blindfolded fear. -- Thomas Jefferson
GlockViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:49   #82
Brucev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyn View Post
Now I understand some people have/had injuries,ailments,age etc.. but outside of that would you consider yourself fit?

I've read on various forums where some people prepare for SHTF scenarios whether its govt.,Catastrophes..whatever. They may have food,ammo,survival gear but couldn't run 100yds without passing out. Soldiers train for it but it seems physical preperation is overlooked in these situations. Opinions?
Throughout elementary, H.S., college and seminary I did hard manual labor which kept me in what some thought was stunning condition. In seminary I had a job w/ a security company where I walked a 1 mile round every half-hour... so that was 16 miles every 8 hours. Not bad. Over the years I've kept myself in decent condition. I weigh 15 lb. more (199 lb.) than when I graduated seminary in 1982 (185 lb).

In 1998 I was catastrophically injured in a fire. It took a long time to get through therapy, etc. One of the hard things was breathing. I very well remember the night I was first able to walk down to the church which was 1/2 mile down the street. Walking back up the hill was a challenge. As soon as I could I started trying to run. I worked up to 6 miles daily. Nowadays I jog a minimum of 45 minutes daily. Often I will do 75 minutes. This is done carrying 10 lb. hand weights. About twice a week I add 5 lb. weights to my ankles. I can take my M-1 Garand and hunt hard through brush, swamp, etc. without getting tire and having to stop for a rest. At age 56 I can work 50-60 hours weekly without any problems. The only problems I have are somewhat high cholesterol levels and a bit of pain in my right ankle and left knee due to injuries playing various sports.

Last edited by Brucev; 02-22-2013 at 07:54..
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:50   #83
crazymoose
Nonentity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
It isn't? If you don't have legs, I would have to agree, but if you have legs, and can walk, one of the metrics for fitness is your resting heart rate, and your ability to get to 85% over that rate, and your O2 perfusion.

What you got that is going to do that apart from moving your limbs faster than you normally do to increase your respiratory rate, stroke volume and heart rate (and no, sex aint it.... )
"Running" in the traditional sense will get you fit, but it's a pretty inefficient way of doing it. Interval sprints, hill runs, and other high intensity stuff will get you in better shape in less time, and it will take off the fat without taking off muscle, too.

Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire
crazymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:55   #84
TX OMFS
Right wing nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
I started my testosterone **** this week. Y'all better watch out. It's gonna be on like donkey kong
The word v@gina gets filtered and this got through? It's blocked on my reply but clear as day for me on post #18.

Sorry to change the subject.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:24   #85
whoops dude

22 year old martial artist/fitness head so I would say so. I always tell guys "that's a nice 3k rifle. Make sure your body can keep up with it"

Deuteronomy 15:11
You cannot follow Christ and not care about others.
whoops dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:28   #86
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
I can see my willy without a mirror. I can also see (the tips of) my shoes and I can walk into McDonalds to pick up my order instead of using the drive thru. I also don't believe in the "Carside to go" deal at the chain restaurants. My job involves a long day of sitting in front of a computer, so any physical activity I do, is on my own. I take my dog for a walk every night (about 1/2 mile), I've been working on the couch to 5k program to get my cardio going and I'm still waiting for the NY resolutioners to leave the gym.
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:39   #87
Glock20 10mm
Use Linux!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post
yesterday i lifted a chevy big block complete with heads and carb out of the bed of the truck, carried it 15 feet, and then lifted it up and set it on a 32 inch tall bench while smoking a cigarette.

2 weeks ago i bear hugged an empty ge side x side fridge/freezer and carried it from one side of the room to the other without scratching up the brand new wooden floor.

last year i hoisted an antique cast iron bathtub up on my shoulders and hauled it up 3 flights of stairs.

i doubt i'm in shape to most peoples standards, but i am strong when i need to be which is good enough for me.
Geeze! You sound like my best friend Jimmy (you all know him as epic mustache dude)!!! Dudes and OX, can't run for stink though!
Glock20 10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:00   #88
Lazy R

Yes.

Turning 52 next week. Have never let myself get out of shape (too much). Every fall I strap on a 10 lb pack, take my rifle, and hunt 6 to 12 mile days in badlands with lots of hills. Often this includes packing out a mule deer. Getting tougher but I won't give up.

I'm really glad I've stayed this way, some of my friends can't do very much anymore.
Lazy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:27   #89
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter7 View Post
I could stand to lose a few pounds. Drinking beer does that to ya.

Drinking beer makes you lose a few pounds?? I'M IN!
Old 02-22-2013, 12:09   #90
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

55 years old, 6'2" and have never gone over 200 pounds. I walk a lot at work and usually have to make several trips a day to the tops of the boilers (about 6 stories).

Yeah...I go a lot slower than I did a couple decades ago...but at least now I know what to look for when I get there...

I wish I were in better shape, but still get around OK for a semi-old-fart.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:15   #91
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bgop View Post
I hope she is hot....
I just hope there is a SHE involved..........

Old 02-22-2013, 12:16   #92
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
Drinking beer makes you lose a few pounds?? I'M IN!
Beer shrinks your clothes.......

(Thats my story.... )
Old 02-22-2013, 15:05   #93
jtmac
Seor Member

Send a message via AIM to jtmac Send a message via Yahoo to jtmac

Yes and no. But mostly no.

I've always sat most of the day, but I got up and made myself active. I stayed in decent shape. Despite being a hundred pounds lighter than my dad (and almost none of that weight being fat), I could lift and move on par with him all day. Hike all day. Resting heart rate in low 60s, typically. When it came to aerobics, my endurance needed improvement, but otherwise I was in pretty decent shape.

The past couple of years has undone that. I was dealing with work and life situations that did not afford me much opportunity to exercise, vitamin deficiency, stress induced adrenal fatigue, and repeated illness. Each individually (although I usually dealt with them simultaneously) left me without the energy to exercise when I made time for it. And I don't mean that I just didn't feel like getting out of the chair. I would start, but I didn't even have the energy to exercise enough to approach exhaustion. I didn't feel out of shape so much as "out of gas". I still looked like I was in shape, but I was not.

I did maintain the minimum standard of flexibility for myself, at least: I've not lost the ability to touch my palms to the floor when bending over, but even with that stretching the lack of exercising hurt my flexibility.

Long story short, I fixed all of that and I'm going to the gym. I hate the gym and I'd rather exercise at home, but my current situation means I'm going to the gym.

My heart has taken the largest toll. I spend my time on the treadmill and the elliptical for now, trying to get my heart back into shape and then I'll worry about the rest of my body, which hasn't suffered as much. My first goal is to be able to pass the state's part time police academy PT test without being winded (It isn't exactly a strenuous test; the 1.5 mile "run" portion has to be completed in a mere 15 minutes). I typically spend only 15 to 20 minutes in the gym, with my intention being to do mile at a time, spending as much time with my heart rate at about 180 beats per minute for as long as I can stand. I can't stand that for nearly as long as I'd like, unfortunately, which combined with boredom and annoyance at being stuck at the gym is why I've been stopping at a mile. But in a few weeks of this I've managed to get my resting heart rate from over 100bpm down to to 70bpm. A little more aerobic work and I'll return to using weights.

So, no, I'm not in shape. But I'm on my way back.

Last edited by jtmac; 02-22-2013 at 15:12..
jtmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 16:41   #94
deputy tom

No. This is why I carry a gun. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cel The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 16:48   #95
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter7 View Post
I could stand to lose a few pounds. Drinking beer does that to ya.
Use a heavier mug. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 16:50   #96
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
Use a heavier mug. HH

The Okie Corral

Old 02-22-2013, 17:00   #97
WT

I just weighed an empty Hofbrauhaus mug.

47.5 oz. empty. That is almost 3 lb. Add 1.1 liters of beer ....
WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 20:21   #98
ateamer
NRA4EVR

Three weeks from turning 46, just completed 8-1/2 months of rehab from surgery to reattach a ruptured triceps tendon, 225 pounds, half an hour ago got 12 rounds on the Crossfit "Cindy" workout (5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 free squats in 60 seconds; the complete workout is 20 rounds in 20 minutes). I could only do six rounds before the injury.

I'd say I'm in good, but not yet great, shape, but better than most guys my age.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 20:28   #99
teog

Sparta fit here.
Old 02-22-2013, 20:56   #100
Lone Wolf8634
Misanthrope

Well, I physically fit into my pants. Most of the time. Does that count?

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson
Lone Wolf8634 is offline   Reply With Quote