Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:44   #1
ninjag19

Stainless Steel RSA rods

I know that some RSAs have had problems and some have been replaced by Glock, but is the plastic retaining rods in question or a problem? There seems to be a lot of aftermarket stainless and even titanium rods and spring assemblies available, which look quite heafty over the stock set-up! Is this just overkill or should serious shooters conbsider getting one? Thanks!
ninjag19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:49   #2
SJ 40

Best buy on RSA's is Glock OEM. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:56   #3
Bruce M

Someone here a while back wrote to the effect that the best function of a stainless guide rod is to make money for the seller/manufacturer. Couple that with one or two reports here of people experiencing some reliability issues with aftermarket guide rods and I would opt for the stock RSA.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:29   #4
M 7

I've been very happy with my stainless guide rods (all of my Glocks have them) and for $12 apiece it is nice to have the peace of mind knowing that they'll likely never wear out- at least in my lifetime. That's the cost of two OEM RSAs- well worth it IMO.

I also like the slight addition of weight forward to my guns. Good quality replacement springs are available from Wolff for a minor pittance and are swapped once every 5-6K depending upon the gun.

Last edited by M 7; 02-21-2013 at 09:29..
M 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:47   #5
ninjag19

Can I reuse my compound spring from my gen4 G19? I would like to just replace the plastic rod if possible.
Old 02-21-2013, 15:31   #6
Saleen

I just got a brand new glock 26 USA made last week (born on date Nov 2012) and it came out of the box with a bad RSA. While glock has great customer service and is shipping out a new one, I also ordered a SS RSA from BT guide rods. It looks a lot beefier and still uses OEM glock springs. In my opinion it is worth it and I'll keep the glock rsa as a back up just incase.
Saleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 15:43   #7
dimitrir

Maybe, but plastic guide rod in my 3rd gen 19 chipped and small bit of plastic prevented slide from going into battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
Someone here a while back wrote to the effect that the best function of a stainless guide rod is to make money for the seller/manufacturer. Couple that with one or two reports here of people experiencing some reliability issues with aftermarket guide rods and I would opt for the stock RSA.
dimitrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 19:12   #8
rv4driver

My Glock RSA fell apart, locking up the gun. The aftermarket one has been flawless.

It is what it is.
rv4driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 19:53   #9
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

If you put stainless steel parts in your Glock, everyone will think you are an expert.

Well, maybe not everyone, but almost everyone.

Well, maybe not almost everyone, but many people will.

Well, maybe not many people, but surely some people.

Well, maybe not some people, but at least a few guys.

Well maybe not a few guys, but I'm sure one person somewhere will think you are an expert.

Well you will! Won't you?

Last edited by bustedknee; 02-22-2013 at 13:23..
bustedknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 21:27   #10
ninjag19

Yes thats right! Isnt there an all stainless Glock? Lol