Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:35   #1
FullClip
CLM Number 171
NRA Benefactor

Ever "Hide" Something From Yourself??

Years ago, I was closing up the house before I went away for several months to work another project. Didn't want any punks to find my chainsaw as they could really wreck the place if they found it if somebody broke in. So I stuffed it somewhere. (Stihl FarmBoss, so no a small unit)

When I came home, I went looking for it.....couldn't remember where I put it. Not like anybody broke in, took just the saw, and tidied up afterwards......hmmmm

Took me about 10 years to stumble across it while I was re-doing some insulation in the basement to find it. I'd already bought a replacement. Had to clean the carburator, and a litle rust on the bar, but it fired up after that..

Drove me crazy, and I'd looked everywhere....or ALMOST everywhere that it could fit.

Ever hide something so good you can't find it later on??
Old 02-20-2013, 11:37   #2
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Yeah, but my parents always found it.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:40   #3
droidfire

my life is a constant scavenger hunt for my stuff. I don't own much, but hell if I can find any of it on cue, save some important things.

Doesn't help that 'home' for me is relative and spread over several physical locations.

I've gotten real good at coming up with what I need based on what's available though.
droidfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:44   #4
USMCsilver
I Like Monkeys

Send a message via AIM to USMCsilver Send a message via Yahoo to USMCsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidfire View Post
Doesn't help that 'home' for me is relative and spread over several physical locations.

I've gotten real good at coming up with what I need based on what's available though.
You don't click on "external links" but you venture between many physical locations???

Interesting.

"Kiss my ass, I bought a boat! I'm goin' out to sea..." (Jimmy Buffett covering Lovett)
USMCsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:12   #5
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

I'm STILL looking for a pair of glow-in-the-dark Roman Gladius-styled Star Wars knock-offs from when I was 10. My mom swears she didn't throw them away () so I guess they are still somewhere in the basement.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:21   #6
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:21   #7
RichJ

I have 3 and 5 year old boys at home so I am always "putting things up" so they can't find it or get to it. I can never remember where I put the stuff when I need it though. Drives me crazy.
RichJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:38   #8
Foxterriermom

Yes I have. Three years ago I flew home to my Mother's for a week and hid some of my diamond jewelry in case someone broke into my house while I was gone. Guess what I still haven't found????
Foxterriermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:50   #9
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

I hid a Sig 239, still new in the box, in my house, when I was in too much of a hurry to put it in the safe, and didn't find it for a year. I was beginning to think it had been stolen. After my house flooded in Katrina, I found it sitting on the kitchen counter. Still don't know where it came from.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:57   #10
IGotIt
No Demlibtards

Heck yes, all the time I go on a vacation. I now write little notes to remind me where I put the stuff and my better half laughs at me.
Old 02-20-2013, 13:01   #11
racerford

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
I hid a Sig 239, still new in the box, in my house, when I was in too much of a hurry to put it in the safe, and didn't find it for a year. I was beginning to think it had been stolen. After my house flooded in Katrina, I found it sitting on the kitchen counter. Still don't know where it came from.
What condition was it in when you found it again? Was anyone else in the house?
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 13:05   #12
blk69stang

I don't hide anything from myself, I don't have to.

My problem is I always put stuff "someplace safe, where I can't possibly lose it" and end up losing it every time.
blk69stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 13:06   #13
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

I find all kind of stuff. It's like Christmas.

ETA: One day I came back from a gunshow and had about $700 in cash that I hadn't spent. I was going out and didn't want to carry it with me so I put it under a wicker basket on my dresser, then promptly forgot about it. Weeks later my son was going to mow the lawn while I was at work so I left him $20 under a wicker box on the dresser. I spoke with him and said his money was under the wicker thing on the dresser. He said "This is a lot, Dad. Are you sure?"

Last edited by gwalchmai; 02-20-2013 at 13:10..
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 13:12   #14
Omologato

I hid my wedding ring when going through a rocky part of my relationship so I wouldn't think about pawning it. It was at my folks house that I lived in during high school. I still can't find it and it peeves me. o/' I'm a dumb a**and I know it o/'

Rogue Nation
Omologato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 13:18   #15
TX OMFS
Right wing nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxterriermom View Post
Yes I have. Three years ago I flew home to my Mother's for a week and hid some of my diamond jewelry in case someone broke into my house while I was gone. Guess what I still haven't found????
Are we married? I keep asking you why you won't use the gun safe and you keep doing this.
Old 02-20-2013, 13:32   #16
Kevinr20

Usually when i lose things, its because my cat bats it under the couch. I lost my bluetooth headset and couldn't find it anywhere. Looked everywhere except under the couch. Found it much later when I moved the couch to clean carpets. I'd already bought a replacement months earlier.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams, August 20, 1789
Kevinr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 13:55   #17
GLOCK19FTW

Yep.. a few years ago, I had locked $600 in my safe and somehow forgot about it.

About a year later, I was looking thru the safe for the receipt to my PS3 (I was planning on selling it because we fell on some tough times and needed cash for bills, and I wanted to include the receipt for whoever bought it so they could have the warranty)

I found the bank envelope and thought it was empty. So I opened it up, and BAM!

$600 cash... and at a time when we couldn't have needed it more.

It was great.
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/

Last edited by GLOCK19FTW; 02-20-2013 at 13:56..
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 14:45   #18
Mrs.Cicero
Wayward Member

Yes. My brother and I hid the some of the paddles my mom smacked us with in the insulation in the attic. Dad found them 20 years later when he was replacing the insulation...

"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mrs.Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 15:08   #19
N4LP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotIt View Post
Heck yes, all the time I go on a vacation. I now write little notes to remind me where I put the stuff and my better half laughs at me.
Same. After "losing" a couple items to, what I have to guess is, a black hole in my house, I started noting on my cell phone where I hid things. Black hole problem seemed to clear up.

On the positive side...apparently I'm really good at hiding things I don't want stolen.
N4LP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 15:12   #20
Kevinr20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Cicero View Post
Yes. My brother and I hid the some of the paddles my mom smacked us with in the insulation in the attic. Dad found them 20 years later when he was replacing the insulation...
My brother and I did the same exact thing except my parents had a waterbed at the time. We drained the bed enough to lift a big portion of it up, slipped the paddle under and filled it back up with water. It was missing for quite a while. :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams, August 20, 1789
Kevinr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 18:00   #21
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK19FTW View Post
Yep.. a few years ago, I had locked $600 in my safe and somehow forgot about it.

About a year later, I was looking thru the safe for the receipt to my PS3 (I was planning on selling it because we fell on some tough times and needed cash for bills, and I wanted to include the receipt for whoever bought it so they could have the warranty)

I found the bank envelope and thought it was empty. So I opened it up, and BAM!

$600 cash... and at a time when we couldn't have needed it more.

It was great.
Now where did I put that 100 box of PMags?
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 18:08   #22
mtpisgah

I have three hiding places for stuff so I know it will be in one of those. In each house I had before this one I had specific places to hide stuff. My biggest problem is keeping my wife from finding it. If she finds where I keep the wine budget cash or the new G34 I haven't told her about, I need to find better hiding places. And a new place to live for a few weeks.
mtpisgah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 18:36   #23
GIG4FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullClip View Post
Years ago, I was closing up the house before I went away for several months to work another project. Didn't want any punks to find my chainsaw as they could really wreck the place if they found it if somebody broke in. So I stuffed it somewhere. (Stihl FarmBoss, so no a small unit)

When I came home, I went looking for it.....couldn't remember where I put it. Not like anybody broke in, took just the saw, and tidied up afterwards......hmmmm

Took me about 10 years to stumble across it while I was re-doing some insulation in the basement to find it. I'd already bought a replacement. Had to clean the carburator, and a litle rust on the bar, but it fired up after that..

Drove me crazy, and I'd looked everywhere....or ALMOST everywhere that it could fit.

My wife and I are laughing our buttttsss off something fierce!!!!! AND I MEAN it!
I have a lot of cool irreplacable things (her too at times BUT not like I do..) and we do this: we have learned to say "let's put it in a safe place" so it is there safe et cetera...

IT is gone forever and only to be found many years later after replacements and accusations!

Oh, this has been the case so many times for us.

We built a BIG new house in 1978 with lots land and outbuildings...and we are still in it - so you KNOW there's things here to be found "eventually!"

Great post and it lives here.
SArmory XDm.45compact - H&K .45c / NRA member
S&W & Browning & Ruger & Winchester & Remington
GIG4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 18:52   #24
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

I lost some stuff during our move. Some memorabilia, my old passports (3) with a poop load of cool stamps. Even looking in my current passport, I see stamps for Nov-Dec 2012, and have ZERO recollection of ever going to those places.

I think my wife ditched them, fearing they would bring back too many memories to me of wild times "on the road".

One time I did lose a phone and a knife in the snow, rough-housing with the boys.

2-3 weeks later I find em both, RIGHT WHERE I LOST EM the knife is rusted shut, the phone turns on after drying out (but then poops the bed after that )
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 19:56   #25
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullClip View Post

I got a Royal Robins pre 5.11 tact vest around here somewhere that I can not find and we have looked everywhere!