GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 08:21   #126
Flying-Dutchman
Senior Member
 
Flying-Dutchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post

We currently collect about $2.75 trillion - and spend about $3.75 trillion.

Consider cutting $85 billion (sequester) is seen as an absolute disaster - TEOTWAWKI by many - imagine a $1 trillion cut.


Post office will shut down - many hospitals would close (medicare payments would stop) - welfare checks - not today - anyone with a government contract would stop work - many school systems depend on the federal money to make teacher payroll - airports would shut down -
Why can private enterprise cut back and operate with reduced revenue yet the Government always threatens a complete shut down?

The Government needs to apply triage to the budget.

There is as pecking order as to the importance of programs.

On another forum, someone was bragging about making $120k as a park ranger with high seniority rangers making $200K+.

Many Government jobs do not add value to the economy and need to be eliminated.
Flying-Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:25   #127
Atlas
transmogrifier
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: north of the equator
Posts: 14,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by railfancwb View Post
Japan isn't fighting multiple (how many? I lost count) wars and maintaining hundreds of bases around the world and almost a dozen carrier fleets and X boomers...
And there we have it.
__________________
June 28, 2012: the day the American republic died.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:40   #128
Flying-Dutchman
Senior Member
 
Flying-Dutchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless28 View Post
This has been a great thread. Even though I sometimes disagree with DevilDog, I do not here. It's refreshing to see some semblance of optimism here, especially since it is based on facts.

As far as the inflation thing, that is my fear. It is the greatest threat to individual wealth. I assume its almost inevitable that its coming, but I agree with DevilDog, it won't be like Zimbabwe or the Weinmar Republic.
On a personal level, there is more opportunity than ever. It is an exciting time to be alive.

But the numbers do not lie and as Atlas put it, the “magic” of compound interest is upon us.

It will end better than Zimbabwe but worse that the Weimar Republic; well maybe not as the Weimar Republic officially ended in 1945 with millions dead and the cities a pile of rubble.
Flying-Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:29   #129
Flying-Dutchman
Senior Member
 
Flying-Dutchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71bill View Post

We currently collect about $2.75 trillion - and spend about $3.75 trillion.
This is an outrageous figure.

Somehow the FEDGOV cannot get by on $2.7 Trillion whereas the not exactly small US FEDGOV budget in 2000 was $1.8Trillion total.

So no one in Washington has the intestinal fortitude to divvy up a mere $2.7 Trillion?

So we would rather become Greece? A lot of thieving must be going on in Washington.
Flying-Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:20   #130
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,678


Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Dutchman View Post
Why can private enterprise cut back and operate with reduced revenue yet the Government always threatens a complete shut down?

The Government needs to apply triage to the budget.

There is as pecking order as to the importance of programs.

On another forum, someone was bragging about making $120k as a park ranger with high seniority rangers making $200K+.

Many Government jobs do not add value to the economy and need to be eliminated.
I think it is about the short term velocity of money.

The gov is very good at putting money into circulation. If the gov suddenly keeps taxing but stops spending, money slows dramatically.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:29   #131
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.
 
series1811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Retired, but not expired.
Posts: 14,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Dutchman View Post
It will end better than Zimbabwe but worse that the Weimar Republic; well maybe not as the Weimar Republic officially ended in 1945 with millions dead and the cities a pile of rubble.
It took WW2 to get us out of the last global depression. I wonder what it will take this time.
__________________
I sure miss the country I grew up in.
series1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 20:35   #132
TX OMFS
Right wing nut
 
TX OMFS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Dutchman View Post
This could also be said of people, who prepare their entire life for retirement; who view life as a destination not a journey.

You can prepare for tough times without being a miserly Scrooge.

Do not keep your entire wealth in dollar denominated assets.

Resist being brainwashed by advertisers influencing you to buy this car, clothes or house to keep up with the Joneses.

Get off the gerbil wheel of debt.

Resist what someone else’s definition of what fun is or what retirement is.
Well said.

Additionally, Series1811, I know reality is that status quo is likely to remain generally the same. Despite that, I too began buying a little extra food on each trip to the store. Dear Lord, I am now a closet, mild, hopefully not looney, prepper.

ETA: Haven't even told my wife about that little stash... :embarrassed:
__________________
Bad decisions make good stories.

Last edited by TX OMFS; 02-19-2013 at 20:37..
TX OMFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 21:01   #133
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist
 
certifiedfunds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 39,678


Quote:
Originally Posted by TX OMFS View Post
Well said.

Additionally, Series1811, I know reality is that status quo is likely to remain generally the same. Despite that, I too began buying a little extra food on each trip to the store. Dear Lord, I am now a closet, mild, hopefully not looney, prepper.

ETA: Haven't even told my wife about that little stash... :embarrassed:
Relax. Even in bad times people need wisdom teeth extracted.
certifiedfunds is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:04.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 865
234 Members
631 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42