GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 17:05   #181
jay1975
Ultra Master
 
jay1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 475
txleapd "So, basically, you just pick the definition you like... Got it."

No, I use the definition that I have lived over half of my life knowing; there are military service members and then there are civilians. So, basically, you didn't read any of my other posts and you like to comment from ignorance... Got it.
__________________
Fear the man who has one gun, for he knows how to use it.

Last edited by jay1975; 02-19-2013 at 17:06..
jay1975 is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 17:17   #182
msu_grad_121
BOOSH
 
msu_grad_121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NW Burbs
Posts: 2,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1975 View Post
txleapd "So, basically, you just pick the definition you like... Got it."

No, I use the definition that I have lived over half of my life knowing; there are military service members and then there are civilians. So, basically, you didn't read any of my other posts and you like to comment from ignorance... Got it.
I didn't take that from his post at all. What I took away was that he is using the definition he's used his entire life, and just as you reject the definition that is the commonly accepted one used by the vast majority of society, he's rejecting the premise you're using to justify your using the definition that you've chosen to use.
__________________
The name on the left side of your chest represents who you work for. The name on the right side of your chest represents who raised you. Make them both proud.
msu_grad_121 is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 17:19   #183
WarCry
Senior Member
 
WarCry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL, on the banks of the Muddy River
Posts: 7,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1975 View Post
txleapd "So, basically, you just pick the definition you like... Got it."

No, I use the definition that I have lived over half of my life knowing; there are military service members and then there are civilians. So, basically, you didn't read any of my other posts and you like to comment from ignorance... Got it.
Just because you have done something one way - or thought something one way - doesn't make it correct or really even okay. What it does is shows that you're to bullheaded to admit you're wrong.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, including you. That doesn't make those opinions correct, and it CERTAINLY doesn't supersede actual definitions.


Here's a question for you: Where would you classify National Guardsmen? Civilian or not? Unless deployed, they're only soldiers for a little more than one month out of the year (38 day - 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year). The vast majority of the time, they are just regular joes and janes, working their jobs, hitting the bar after work, etc.
__________________
"I'm your priest, your shrink, your main connection to the switchboard of souls. I'm the Magic Man, the Santa Claus of the Subconscious. You say it, you even think it, you can have it." - Lenny Nero
WarCry is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 17:25   #184
countrygun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by msu_grad_121 View Post
I didn't take that from his post at all. What I took away was that he is using the definition he's used his entire life, and just as you reject the definition that is the commonly accepted one used by the vast majority of society, he's rejecting the premise you're using to justify your using the definition that you've chosen to use.
So, that means that my maternal Grandmother, who grew up in a southern family, was correct when she used a certain word to refer to "African-Americans", because that was what she was taught and grew up using all her life?
countrygun is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 17:28   #185
TheJ
Lifetime Membership
NRA Life Member
 
TheJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 1,492
Blog Entries: 3
There really shouldn't be any firearms that government agents have access to that all free men don't. Their lives are not more deserving of protection then that of my family.
__________________
Jay

The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -F. Scott Fitzgerald
TheJ is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 17:31   #186
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus
 
Mayhem like Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 16,200
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunHo198 View Post
Last I heard the Supreme court ruled that it's not a Police Officers Duty to protect an individual while putting his own life at risk.

Am I wrong in this regard?

An LEO is not bound by terms of contract to serve a 2-4 year term, or be charged with desertion if he or she doesn't fulfill there contract obligation Like the average person serving in the Armed forces. They can always just quit and find employment in another field, or agency elsewhere without consequences. That, in my opinion makes them a civilian.
Then you would be wrong in GA and many other states they sign a 2 year contract that causes them to be responsible to repay the cost of training if they quit they cannot work in LE til the debt is paid.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
How do you establish intent?
Well when a naked man is chasing a woman down an alley with a butcher knife and a hard on, I figure he's not collecting for the red cross...Inspector H. Callahan
Mayhem like Me is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 17:37   #187
googanelli
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florence,KY
Posts: 115
I'm glad that firearms manufacturers and owners are realizing that we are fighting not only people against guns, but also politicians. And sometimes, the only way to get politicians to listen is to apply the right kind of pressure.

Here's my way of looking at it, imagine it being cars and restricting what ford could sell to people but not cops. We ALL know that gun sales are through the roof. People are afraid of them. People are using them in bad ways. Politicians LOVE to take control and "do something for the kids". They ban Ford from selling cars to civilians in NYS. Why WOULDN'T Ford say screw you NYS cops too? They stand to lose a LOT more of their customers than just cops. And last I looked, we are fighting the same thugs cops are. My family is all police. I would say the same to them. When people realize the cops are just people. Just like them, they will see they need to be able to take care of themselves. When cops can't because of politics, pressure will be put upon legislators that will give us our rights back.

My state's motto: United we stand, Divided we fall. Sometimes it hurts to stick together.

Joe
googanelli is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 17:38   #188
msu_grad_121
BOOSH
 
msu_grad_121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NW Burbs
Posts: 2,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
So, that means that my maternal Grandmother, who grew up in a southern family, was correct when she used a certain word to refer to "African-Americans", because that was what she was taught and grew up using all her life?
Is the N-bomb a currently accepted name for black people, when used by one outside the black community?

I'll grant you that I wasn't specific enough in my statment. But the so-called "definition" he's using was learned behavior, and goes against the commonly accepted societal definition which the vast majority of people use.

Much like your grandmother using the N-word to describe black people. It's only a small subset of society which uses the word, and it's not a commonly accepted way to refer to members of the black community, so thank you for making my point for me.

Kudos on the assist.
__________________
The name on the left side of your chest represents who you work for. The name on the right side of your chest represents who raised you. Make them both proud.
msu_grad_121 is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 17:41   #189
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned
 
RyanNREMTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 4,728
I still want to know who actually buys Olympic Arms?

Sent from my Federation issued communicator.
__________________
Support Free Range Shopping Carts on Facebook.
RyanNREMTP is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 17:43   #190
GunHo198
Senior Member
 
GunHo198's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tampa
Posts: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
You've repeatedly read that? I would like links to those posts, please.
I'm searching for that now. I think I'm sure who said it, but I don't want to point fingers unless I can find the posts. The threads have been locked, and the posts may have been pulled. But it was here on GT awhile back.

Still searching though.
__________________
This Message Sponsored in Part by "One Angry White Guy"!
GunHo198 is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 17:49   #191
Kingarthurhk
Isaiah 53:4-9
 
Kingarthurhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIN2010 View Post
Because, it is every COTUS believing/supporting American's job/duty to stand up to the illegal tyranny that is leaking out of the so called leaders in the Wash D.C. sewer.
Again, I ask why the intellectual dishonesty? If you really felt that way, you would be for disarming the military as well. Why not? Just because you have been fed a better media campaign regarding them?

How are rank and file LEO's tyranny? They are simply the people who put their lives on the line, for you people like you who hate them, even when there isn't a war on. They risk their lives everyday for people people who despise them and try to to kill them just because they decided to enter into a profession with the mindset of trying to make the world a better place.

Since when is selflesness tyranny?

You are my friend, but I am here to tell you, that you are going about this the wrong way.

I won't stop being your friend, even if you hate me for what I do for a living.

Knowing you for sometime, I can honestly believe that you got caught up in the mob mentality; because, as an individual, I know you aren't that way.
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 20SF, 21C, 22, 26, 27, Glock E-Tool, Glock knife
Quod ego haereticus appellari sequere Jesum.
Kingarthurhk is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 18:04   #192
Southswede
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem like Me View Post
yes you are because you are not being truthfull, does the CCW holder deserve to carry a gun while other citizens cannot, if you truly cared you would also demand that CCW holders not be allowed this preferntial treatment, and that they be treated like everyone else..Oh wait no thats not what you meant..

Does the CCW holder in my state deserve not to pay for a records check when buying a firearm, yet I have to pay everytime? Even though I am checked every year by my agency. Ohh the humanity and the elevated class of preferential treatment....
Talk about needing help with reading comprehension........

Last edited by Southswede; 02-19-2013 at 18:09..
Southswede is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 18:10   #193
F350
Senior Member
 
F350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Colorado Western Slope
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanMike
I read a headline that several firearm/accessory manufacturers (Olympic arms and larue included) were supposedly refusing to sell to cops in states where politicians are passing stricter gun laws.

Is this true?

Why the hell are they punishing the cops who have nothing to do with these political games?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelo6 View Post
The way I have read it, the manufacturers are refusing to sell to AGENCIES. I have not seen anything saying they will not sell their product to individuals LEOs.
Except perhaps their products are now ILLEGAL for individual sale in NY!!

As for hurting the cops...... Collateral damage.
F350 is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 18:15   #194
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 44,659
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunHo198 View Post
I'm searching for that now. I think I'm sure who said it, but I don't want to point fingers unless I can find the posts. The threads have been locked, and the posts may have been pulled. But it was here on GT awhile back.

Still searching though.
Posts are not "pulled" unless they contain words and/or images that grossly violate GT Rules. If the thread is closed, copy and paste the url and note the post number.
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 18:16   #195
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up
 
txleapd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 6,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
You've repeatedly read that? I would like links to those posts, please.
Me too. I have NEVER read a cop write that on here.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919


"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 18:17   #196
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up
 
txleapd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 6,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1975 View Post
txleapd "So, basically, you just pick the definition you like... Got it."

No, I use the definition that I have lived over half of my life knowing; there are military service members and then there are civilians. So, basically, you didn't read any of my other posts and you like to comment from ignorance... Got it.
So, because I don't agree with you I'm ignorant?

Got it.


Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919


"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 18:25   #197
F350
Senior Member
 
F350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Colorado Western Slope
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocPO View Post
And again: show me one union that agreed with the provisions of King Andy's edict. So the unions aren't the problem.

The political hacks in the dept are another story. Do you get to choose your boss? Neither do I.

Show me one police union that publicly stood up against king Andy!!
F350 is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 18:29   #198
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up
 
txleapd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 6,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunHo198 View Post
Last I heard the Supreme court ruled that it's not a Police Officers Duty to protect an individual while putting his own life at risk.

Am I wrong in this regard?
Yes.

The SCOTUS came about when a family tried suing a police department after their daughter was murdered by her ex-husband, who she had a restraining order against. The contention was that they expected the police to protect her.

The ruling was that there is no Constitutional requirement for the police to protect a single individual over society as a whole, unless a previous special relationship exists. We serve the people, not a person.

The ruling was not the "cops get to thumb out noses at anyone who calls for help, and ignore them" that people like you make it out to be.

As a practical matter, we cannot be everywhere all the time, and protect everyone. So if something happens to you, you don't get to sue the cops, because we couldn't be there to stop it.

That's what the ruling was about.




Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919


"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 18:47   #199
Hrsuhd
Senior Member
 
Hrsuhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oregons Bay Area
Posts: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by msu_grad_121 View Post
JUST police unions, or any union? By your logic, a member of the UAW (who were VERY supportive of our current legislature) should be punished because the leadership of that union is openly supportive of those persons who have enacted these silly laws?
Its a good start in the states with these typs of laws it seems like a good way to get the attention of a large group to send that msg to another large group with deep pockets.

Last edited by Hrsuhd; 02-19-2013 at 18:50..
Hrsuhd is offline  
Old 02-19-2013, 19:25   #200
BobbyS
You Talkin ToMe
 
BobbyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In The Noise
Posts: 2,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by txleapd View Post
Yes.

The SCOTUS came about when a family tried suing a police department after their daughter was murdered by her ex-husband, who she had a restraining order against. The contention was that they expected the police to protect her.

The ruling was that there is no Constitutional requirement for the police to protect a single individual over society as a whole, unless a previous special relationship exists. We serve the people, not a person.

The ruling was not the "cops get to thumb out noses at anyone who calls for help, and ignore them" that people like you make it out to be.

As a practical matter, we cannot be everywhere all the time, and protect everyone. So if something happens to you, you don't get to sue the cops, because we couldn't be there to stop it.

That's what the ruling was about.




Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

That is interesting. Will people who are victims of violent crime in the "no gun" states be able to sue the state for not being allowed to protect themselves?
__________________
I don't mind shooting, as long as the right person gets shot! - D. Harry
BobbyS is offline  

 
  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:21.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 973
280 Members
693 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31