SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-19-2013, 14:57   #1
BULLRUNN
Double Tap

Question for me Breathern

My fellow LEO's, without getting into the political stuff that is transpiring at my Dept. A question has been raised as to our going back to hats and ties. Ties for everyone in a long sleeve shirt and or a short sleeve shirt when a jacket is worn. Hats for Supervisors at all times. We are located in the great state of Va. where the humidity has been known to get a little rough and the temp has been known to set a few records. We are a Dept of about 700-800 depending on the day. our uniform for patrol is 100% poly DARK BLUE with vests required for everyone Sgt and under to wear under their uniform. I am interesed in the uniforms of dept's around the country. I am looking for Depts that allow a more relaxed uniform for patrol NOT anything for Special units, IE bikes boats traffic sorry guys just looking for patrol. If you do not want to put it on the board PM me with the info... thanks for your help. We are trying to bring us into the modern age.. dont say it I know that would be progressive thinking and that is a dangerious thing to do in LE... thanks BULLRUNN
BULLRUNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 15:17   #2
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

No special uniforms here for patrol, Capts and above have to wear ties with long sleeve shirts. We are mandated to all wear long sleeves during daylight savings time.
Old 02-19-2013, 15:28   #3
bccop

For Staff Sergeants, Sergeants, and Constables we wear a dark blue uniform (long sleeve or short sleeve, we wear what we want) with no ties. For regular uniform the only hat we are allowed to wear is the forage cap. Certain units like Emergency Response Team, Collision Investigation, Marine Unit, Forensic Identification, Traffic, Dog Squad, Crowd Control Unit, etc can wear special uniforms and depending on the unit can wear the issued baseball cap. Operational members must wear a vest (external vests are optional).

We are issued gore tex jackets with hoods and I would rather wear a hood in the rain over that stupid bus driver hat....

Inspectors and above (white shirts) wear a dark blue uniform if they are operational. Otherwise their uniform is a white shirt (long or short depending on time of year), tie, and dress uniform pants.

Archilochus, Greek Soldier and Poet, 650 BC

Last edited by bccop; 02-19-2013 at 15:29..
bccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 15:35   #4
VPD4327

The tie can be annoying until you get used to it. I'm not quite on the band wagon of BDU's or a K-9/polo shirt type uniform as I don't find the class A's to be uncomfortable. I don't see them changing anything too soon though. 700-800 people that already have class A's...it would take a lot of coin to switch everyone over.
VPD4327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 15:41   #5
trdvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLRUNN View Post
A question has been raised as to our going back to hats and ties
How stupid, but you already knew that. Elbeco makes some good "soft" shirts for a uniform. Combine that with some 5.11 type pants or patrol pants with cargo pockets and you'll be good to go. Hats, ties & shiny stuff need to stay in court or special functions.
Disclaimer: The opinions given DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. By viewing this post you agree to indemnify myself and my employing agency and hold them harmless from all claims and damages.
trdvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 15:45   #6
Austin Millbarge

If you saw the fancy outfit we wear (CT State Police) everyday you would faint. Class B's look like everybody else's Class A. Thankfully I do truck safety so I get BDU's.
Austin Millbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 15:48   #7
ateamer
NRA4EVR

The sooner all of the prancing fancylads who mandate Class As for patrol retire, the better.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 15:57   #8
pgg00

Our standard patrol uniform is jumpsuits. Our other is 5.11 class Bs. We don't even have a Class A uniform.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

WiskyT :whistling:
There's nothing like the fact that you can take educated professionals with everything on the line and add a little booze and they act like juniors in HS.
pgg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 16:01   #9
mntrpr

For as old school my dept gets about uniforms, we were short sleeves 1/2 the yr (no ties) and when in long sleeves, I can wear a turtle neck in lieu of a tie for patrol work. If I go to court, meetings etc... I need to put the tie on.
mntrpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 16:14   #10
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Per their SOP on their website ( http://www.louisvilleky.gov/NR/rdonl...able021013.pdf ), Louisville Metro Police authorizes three different uniforms for patrol: Class As, Class Bs (5.11 Taclite PDU uniform, with everything sewn on), and Class Cs (BDU shorts and a gray polo, patches and badge patch sewn on, "METRO POLICE" in big letters on the back). Any can be worn at the descretion of the officer.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 16:34   #11
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

Right now we wear dark blue polos and 5.11 pants. But we are going to class a shirts with external vest carriers. So we'll see how things go here.

Luckily no ties here. Those should be saved for memorials and funerals.

Sent from my Federation issued communicator.
Old 02-19-2013, 17:12   #12
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

Long and short sleeve navy class B button downs, turtle necks (or ties) in the winter, no tie in the summer, cargo style pants if we want, and the option of an external vest carrier.

Last edited by msu_grad_121; 02-19-2013 at 17:13..
msu_grad_121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 17:42   #13
Ftttu

I can only hope that all LEO agency's powers that be are only thinking of their uniformed officers uniforms and equipment in the highest regard for effectiveness, officer safety, comfort, tactical issues, officer presence and so on. If your uniform causes you to not be able to perform your duties to the highest levels of safety and effectiveness, it is highly important to address these issues.

If your uniform is too dressy or too restrictive, keeping you from changing a flat tire, wrestling with a scumbag, trekking off through mud and/or thick stickery brush, crawling around in the back of a semi-trailer during an inspection, etc., start thinking of a new uniform. As you know, that's what we do on a regular basis on patrol. I love traditional looking dress uniforms, but common sense and practicality needs to be taken in to account.

Last edited by Ftttu; 02-19-2013 at 17:42.. Reason: spelling
Ftttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 18:08   #14
trdvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftttu View Post
common sense and practicality needs to be taken in to account.
Against policy.

A good quote in someone's signature.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
Disclaimer: The opinions given DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. By viewing this post you agree to indemnify myself and my employing agency and hold them harmless from all claims and damages.
trdvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 18:22   #15
collim1
Shower Time!

I'm all bout class A uniforms, but any hat other than a ballcap SUCK!

Class A mandatory for day shift. We can wear a mock turtle neck with long sleeves instead of a tie.

Class B optional for night shift, training, and range. I rarely wear them preferring the class A.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 20:56   #16
Agent6-3/8

Pretty strict here. Class A for patrol with high gloss gear. November - February we're long sleeves and ties. October and March are optional. April - September are short sleeve only. BDUs are authorized for wear on nights.

I'm not a huge fan of the tie(would rather wear a turtle neck), but overall I like the class A uniform. I've worn various BDU and tactical stuff and personally I find the class A the most comfortable. I would like to give 5.11's "class a" PDU a try but that's a no go here. I'll never do the polo shirt look unless forced.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2013, 23:09   #17
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent6-3/8 View Post
Pretty strict here. Class A for patrol with high gloss gear. November - February we're long sleeves and ties. October and March are optional. April - September are short sleeve only. BDUs are authorized for wear on nights.

I'm not a huge fan of the tie(would rather wear a turtle neck), but overall I like the class A uniform. I've worn various BDU and tactical stuff and personally I find the class A the most comfortable. I would like to give 5.11's "class a" PDU a try but that's a no go here. I'll never do the polo shirt look unless forced.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
Have ya'll pushed the turtle neck issue? I think they still look good and much more comfortable and practical.

Ties get in the way writing out citations and always seem to get crooked or come unclipped on the seatbelt getting in and out. Not practical for a working patrol guy.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 23:39   #18
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamer View Post
The sooner all of the prancing fancylads who mandate Class As for patrol retire, the better.
Here here.

Never heard of any type of uniform being mandated for anything, other than that we are "asked" to wear Class A for funerals, graduations and some official functions like swearing in ceremonies which most do comply with. However, I have seen more than my share of people who show up to formal events in short sleeves and nylon gear too.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 00:29   #19
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

We have a common sense policy that one of the Sergeants described as "do what your mom taught you"...if it's cold, dress for the weather, if it's warm, dress for the weather. Sleeve length is officer's choice, turtleneck or tie is OPTIONAL with longsleeves (optional as in you can go plain 'ol open collar with a t-shirt if you want). Pretty relaxed.

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:31   #20
IrishSheepdog54

I am one of those officers who prefers the Class A uniform. We have some "relaxed" options at my department, but I choose to wear the long sleeve shirt with tie and under vest in cold weather. I find I carry myself with more confidence when I look very sharp. People notice.

As for "functionality," I sometimes think officers hope that a relaxed uniform will make up for being in poor shape. In my shirt and tie, I was able to scale a 10 foot fence and climb down a sign on the interstate to pull down a jumper. In my high gloss oxfords I was able to run down a guy in a foot pursuit. I've never felt that this uniform has kept me from work. If anything, I'd think cargo pants full of "stuff" with a bunch of Molle gear on a tac vest would create more problems than a tie.

I do agree that the vest under the shirt gets really freaking hot in the summer. But the external carrier gets hot too... The only benefit is that you can take it off at the station. I see too many guys taking it off in the car, at lunch, etc., which I don't agree with. Never in public.
IrishSheepdog54 is offline   Reply With Quote