Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:38   #1
dkreed26

Glock Frame painting.

everyone is talking about the Duracoat to refinish the plastic frames. How is that compared to a good plactic paint you get from lowes or home depot? I have a glock that i want to paint the black frame to the dark earth color to match my ar-15.
also what should you really clean the frame with? i know acetone and mek will eat the plastic. any suggestions.
dkreed26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 15:40   #2
RobarGuns
GT Sponsor

Duracoat calls for a bake or lengthy curing period (like 30 days, IIRC) to properly cure. We've tried it but not been happy with the results. Unfortunately over the counter spray paint is not ideal either, but would likely be a better choice for home application.
RobarGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 21:27   #3
kimber6

A friend of mine does duracoating and said that the coating is much tougher than krylon style paint. They cure it in an oven and it is supposed to be a really great finish. It's a little spendy so if you are just looking to change the color of a "beater gun" I'd spray paint it. If it's a gun that you don't plan on beating the heck out of and want to keep it in good condition, duracoat is the way to go.
kimber6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:54   #4
lsbbigdog

Cerakote offers C-series a ambient cure which is a lot tougher than Duracoat and cures in half the time or you can use H-series and bake the frame at a lower temp. I bake all plastic frames.
Old 10-17-2011, 19:50   #5
USDefender
Lay Them Waste!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobarGuns View Post
Duracoat calls for a bake or lengthy curing period (like 30 days, IIRC) to properly cure. We've tried it but not been happy with the results. Unfortunately over the counter spray paint is not ideal either, but would likely be a better choice for home application.
Had an old Ruger P95 that I sprayed with a black, textured Krylon made for plastic... Worked pretty well, imo. Plus, the fact that it was black made it more forgiving of mistakes.

Last edited by USDefender; 10-17-2011 at 19:51..
USDefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:45   #6
xSkidmark

i used to paint xbox controllers and the fusion paint from lowes or where ever would end up chipping or pealing because of the oils on your hand. I would think the same would happen especially when you're shooting the handgun. you'll be sweating and it'll just eat the paint up.
xSkidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 21:32   #7
stoveboltgunnut

I realize I'm new here and don't have much credibility, but I'll put my two cents in. My "second" job is refinishing guns. Any of the spray and bake finishes are light years ahead of regular spray paint. Some spray and bakes are better than others, but they are all (for the most part) formulated to stand up to cleaning solvents and be much more resistant to wear. Please don't spray your frame with krylon. In my experience, air cure firearms finishes are only marginally better than hardware store spray paint.

If you are on a budget you can get decent results with midway's wheeler engineering aerosol spray and bake finish.

As with any finishing, prep is 90% of the job. With degreasing being 90% of the prep.
stoveboltgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote