SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-14-2013, 17:02   #21
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmanglocking View Post
I'd love to have the option. I probably wouldn't open carry but knowing that if I accidentally got exposed I'd be legal would be nice.
Accidental exposure is not illegal in TX.
Old 02-14-2013, 17:07   #22
SCmasterblaster

It is somewhat a surprise to hear that OC is outlawed in TX.
Old 02-17-2013, 23:31   #23
TXPamIAm

-----

Last edited by TXPamIAm; 01-30-2014 at 00:12..
TXPamIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 23:35   #24
TXPamIAm

-----

Last edited by TXPamIAm; 01-30-2014 at 00:12..
TXPamIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:27   #25
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

I'm all for it. The way I see it is the more bills and rights in our favor is better than having them striped away. I occasionally open carry but mainly conceal carry.

Besides if open carry is made legal and I do decide to open carry more, there is no way in hell I'm going to open carry a Glock. I want something shinier.

Last edited by RyanNREMTP; 02-18-2013 at 06:27..
RyanNREMTP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:45   #26
bennie1986

I open carry most of the time and most of the time no one notices. I would think a criminal would bre more focused on his main objective and not even notice the gun.
bennie1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:54   #27
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Better if they clarified Section 46.032 to extend my right to carry in a restaurant, and specifically authorize me to ignore signage that tries to prohibit me from doing so.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:35   #28
ferretray

I've no faith that this will pass. Politicians here as about as bad as anywhere else.
Hell, there are knife laws in effect here from the civil war era.
ferretray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 17:58   #29
Deaf Smith

Personally I've always frowned on open carry due to gun snatches. Most civilian holsters can't take a gun snatch. The holster will fly apart and has no way to keep a determined person from ripping out right out of the holster.

BUT... I now see some wisdom in OC! See there are lots of liberals from other states coming here to TEXAS to take jobs. They bring their liberal ideas and liberal votes with them.

So maybe if someone OCs into the local Stop-n-Rob like Val Kilmer in Tombstone they would see those two ivory handled six shooters and freak out back to their liberal state.

Now wouldn't that be something!

Deaf
Old 02-18-2013, 20:49   #30
bennie1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Smith View Post
Personally I've always frowned on open carry due to gun snatches. Most civilian holsters can't take a gun snatch. The holster will fly apart and has no way to keep a determined person from ripping out right out of the holster.

BUT... I now see some wisdom in OC! See there are lots of liberals from other states coming here to TEXAS to take jobs. They bring their liberal ideas and liberal votes with them.

So maybe if someone OCs into the local Stop-n-Rob like Val Kilmer in Tombstone they would see those two ivory handled six shooters and freak out back to their liberal state.

Now wouldn't that be something!

Deaf
A gun snatch is one of those things people like to bring up about OC that they can never cite one instance of it happening. You have to have situational awareness, if you dont know whats going on around you then having a gun will be useless regardless of how you are carrying it.
bennie1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:00   #31
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennie1986 View Post
I open carry most of the time and most of the time no one notices. I would think a criminal would bre more focused on his main objective and not even notice the gun.
Oh people notice alright. They're just scared if they say anything you'll shoot them.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy

"Nobody should ever run a race where they are lapped by the sun."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:04   #32
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcc12 View Post
While it would be nice to not be as worried about clothing selection, I would probably continue to carry concealed.
How do you dress when you CC? What would change if OC was possible?

The biggest difference for me is the shirt gets tucked in.

When I CC in warm weather I wear banded bottom polo shirts and carry IWB. The shirt bottom rests on my hip level and blouses a bit at the waist breaking up any outline of the grip.

When I OC, the carry is either IWB, or OWB in a retention holster with the shirt tucked in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcc12 View Post
I think open carry would just present retention problems with kids/nuts attempting take guns, and also presents a shoot the guy with the gun first situations.
My granddaughter addressed that this past weekend. She traveled home by bus from college in Northern Virginia. I asked how things were going using the Metro and other public transportation. She said it was fine, that she just walks her "Don't even try messing with me" walk. "When I look like I am capable and confident, they get the idea I will not be a willing victim."

The same applies to gun grabs. If you look like that would be the last thing you'd allow to happen, you win without conflict. If you look unsure, uncommitted, if you look like a victim waiting to be had, then you'll have to fight.

Has it happened? Yep, a few guys have reported grabs. A couple more reported attempts. There is one case in Richmond, Virginia at a BP station where the OCer was killed with his own gun.

I do not believe there is any other report of an OCer being killed as a consequence of OCing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpoprofessor View Post
You know, I wonder how people who think like you can get through life without handwringing on something like this?

If it isn't for you, then it isn't for you, much like smoking, driving, golfing, motorcycling, whatever. You guys are as bad as DemocRATS.
That, sir, is an inappropriate, unwarranted personal attack.

Had you just said, "If it isn't for you, then it isn't for you," all would be good.

Carrying for self defense requires many very personal decisions. What is good and right for one person may be deadly wrong for another.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:29   #33
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx-SIG229 View Post
people who are anti open carry keep citing that OCers would be the first target in a robbery... i call BS.... are there any stats to prove this theory?
There are no reports I know of where an OCer was shot during a robbery.

It isn't that it has happened. It is do you want to be the first, and then how to avoid being "the first" while OCing.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:20   #34
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretray View Post
I've no faith that this will pass. Politicians here as about as bad as anywhere else.
Hell, there are knife laws in effect here from the civil war era.
I have faith. Rick Perry has already gone on record against proposed gun bans, as well as stating openly that he believes anyone that has a CHL should be able to carry it anywhere.
He's pro-gun/pro-2A
Old 02-19-2013, 17:29   #35
oldman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
There are no reports I know of where an OCer was shot during a robbery.

It isn't that it has happened. It is do you want to be the first, and then how to avoid being "the first" while OCing.
Well the best way is to carry in a leather holster with a thumb break. Also be aware of your surroundings. AND practice, practice, practice.
Old 02-19-2013, 18:13   #36
Deaf Smith

Quote:
A gun snatch is one of those things people like to bring up about OC that they can never cite one instance of it happening. You have to have situational awareness, if you dont know whats going on around you then having a gun will be useless regardless of how you are carrying it.
http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/te...4b8e4762b.html

Yes there has been a case of it happening.

Deaf
Old 02-19-2013, 19:14   #37
tshadow6

Open Carry

I hope Texas passes that law, the Florida follows.
tshadow6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 20:02   #38
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
True - I wonder just how many snatches of OC handguns happen?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:08   #39
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by eracer View Post
Better if they clarified Section 46.032 to extend my right to carry in a restaurant, and specifically authorize me to ignore signage that tries to prohibit me from doing so.
Are you talking about in Florida or in TX?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27   #40
fgutie35

I think one of the main benefits of open carry would be to finally show up those safe queens you have been waiting all of your life to show up. 1911's and HP's anyone?
The other one would be the one that makes the more sense to me which would be not worrying about printing and getting into trouble with the ocassional " law ignorant " cop.