GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:49   #1
indoorplant

Negligent Cop Sues Glock For Negligence...

California’s Second District Court of Appeal said on Tuesday that a paralyzed Los Angeles police officer, who was shot by his 3-year-old son, could move forward with his lawsuit again gun manufacturer Glock.

Enrique Chavez’s lawsuit claimed that the Glock 21 had a light trigger and lacked a grip saftey, both of which could have prevented the shooting.

Los Angeles Judge Kevin Brazile dismissed Chavez’s case two years ago, saying that he had failed to show that an alternate gun design would have prevented the shooting. Brazile also said that a police department review of the handgun showed that the advantages outweighed the risk.

But earlier this week, the state appeals court ruled 3-0 that the suit could move forward, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. After reviewing evidence presented by Chavez’s lawyers, the court found that a grip safety “would minimize the risk of accidental discharge without undermining performance.”

In 2006, Chavez’s son accidentally shot him in the back after the off-duty officer forgot that he had left the loaded .45-caliber pistol under the front seat of this Ford Ranger. The child was not in a safety seat at the time.

Link to story:
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/2...-son-shot-him/

so an off-duty LAPD, who forgot his Glock 21 underneath the front seat of his car and was shot by his three-year old who wasn't in his child safety seat, sues Glock for negligence...
indoorplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 16:20   #2
mykylg30

wow.that is seriously ridiculous. (face palm.)
mykylg30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 16:24   #3
NH Trucker
Needs coffee...

Interesting... I have a 4 year old, and have yet to be shot by her. Maybe it's because as a responsible parent, I don't leave it where she can get to it.

The guy is a victim of his own stupidity, nothing more.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
NH Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 16:25   #4
Goodrich
Like a Sir

Herp derp.. it was his Negligence not Glocks, and if he wants to sue someone what about his department for issuing Glocks ?
Goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 16:30   #5
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Negligent Cop Sues Glock For Negligence...
Old 02-18-2013, 16:46   #6
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorplant View Post
California’s Second District Court of Appeal said on Tuesday that a paralyzed Los Angeles police officer, who was shot by his 3-year-old son, could move forward with his lawsuit again gun manufacturer Glock.

Enrique Chavez’s lawsuit claimed that the Glock 21 had a light trigger and lacked a grip saftey, both of which could have prevented the shooting.

Los Angeles Judge Kevin Brazile dismissed Chavez’s case two years ago, saying that he had failed to show that an alternate gun design would have prevented the shooting. Brazile also said that a police department review of the handgun showed that the advantages outweighed the risk.

But earlier this week, the state appeals court ruled 3-0 that the suit could move forward, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. After reviewing evidence presented by Chavez’s lawyers, the court found that a grip safety “would minimize the risk of accidental discharge without undermining performance.”

In 2006, Chavez’s son accidentally shot him in the back after the off-duty officer forgot that he had left the loaded .45-caliber pistol under the front seat of this Ford Ranger. The child was not in a safety seat at the time.

Link to story:
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/2...-son-shot-him/

so an off-duty LAPD, who forgot his Glock 21 underneath the front seat of his car and was shot by his three-year old who wasn't in his child safety seat, sues Glock for negligence...
If events are is written, that is everything you need to know about this case right there. Next...

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 02-18-2013 at 16:47..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 16:49   #7
Bren
NRA Life Member

An officer in Kentucky tried this several years ago and didn't get far.
Old 02-18-2013, 17:04   #8
oldman11

It looks like people (and that includes politicians and judges) are not very smart, but they are greedy.
oldman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 17:32   #9
MJB

Just because you can sue doesn't mean you can win.

I guess his department will all switch to 1911s or XDs.
MJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 17:41   #10
Scott30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
An officer in Kentucky tried this several years ago and didn't get far.
First clue of a STUPID lawsuit was CALIFORNIA. A few years ago, a guy sued a city after he got drunk and ran his car off the road into a tree and was injured. The city lost the case because they had planted the tree there. The defense was that if the tree was not planted there then he would have not been hurt. Guy got over 1 million dollars.
Scott30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 17:41   #11
pizza_pablo
USN Retired

Hopefully, he is no longer able to breed.
Old 02-18-2013, 18:15   #12
GicleeOne

Sad thing is, if he should win his suit against Glock I suspect we'll all be paying the freight in the form of higher pricing.

And I wouldn't take it as a given that he will lose, stranger things have happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GicleeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 18:18   #13
G36shooter

And this is why Andy had Barney carry only one bullet in his shirt pocket. It's the guns fault (sic)
G36shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 18:26   #14
lyodbraun

Thats such a frivolous lawsuit, and as bad as someone trying to sue a car maker cause they crashed the car and its the MFGS fault... cause they couldn't control the vehicle... Id doubt he wins anything.... No ones fault but his OWN!!! RETARD self....
lyodbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 18:33   #15
Scrappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorplant View Post
California’s Second District Court of Appeal said on Tuesday , could move forward with his lawsuit again gun manufacturer Glock.

the court found that a grip safety “would minimize the risk of accidental discharge without undermining performance.”

Wow, what a system we have! Many guns don't have safeties. This idiot cop should never of been a cop and this lawsuit is so bogus!! Stupid is as stupid does
Scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 18:42   #16
Sdk8103

It used to be if you did something stupid you looked around and hoped nobody saw it. Today when some people do something stupid they get a lawyer and attempt to make someone else pay for their own stupidity. The lack of accepting responsibility is one of our country's biggest problems today in my opinion.
Sdk8103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 18:44   #17
D.S.Brown

I know the guy is looking for a pay day, and maybe whatever insurance benefits he has have run out. Likewise I don't know if he gets any disability retirement from the city, as this was not a line of duty shooting. So maybe he's looking for money as a means to support his family, I don't know. I'm sure he isn't the first or the last paraplegic that has to work.

However it burns me that his mega act of negligence that impacts him, and his family is now having a rippling affect. He's fortunate that his son didn't accidentally turn the gun on himself, that would be a tragedy. This man has been granted the opportunity to act honorably and walk away from this frivolous suit once already. I am heartless about this. I hope he loses, and his forced to pay ALL fees from the first trial, and this one as well, and that he is truly left destitute and penniless. He's not dead, so this has to be the price of criminal negligence, (not securing his weapon), and dishonor, (not being a man and owning up to the fact that he is the sole cause of all of this).

Best,

Dave
D.S.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 18:47   #18
svtpwnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
Thats such a frivolous lawsuit, and as bad as someone trying to sue a car maker cause they crashed the car and its the MFGS fault... cause they couldn't control the vehicle... Id doubt he wins anything.... No ones fault but his OWN!!! RETARD self....
Does Ford Explorer/Firestone tires bring back any memories.

Last edited by svtpwnz; 02-18-2013 at 18:47..
svtpwnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 18:49   #19
lyodbraun

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtpwnz View Post
Does Ford Explorer/Firestone tires bring back any memories.
Oh yeah forgot about that one, but that was the fault of the tyre makers if I remember right ??? but still this guy trying to sue over his own stupidity... please....
lyodbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 19:08   #20
iflyem1

I put the blame on the courts for letting this foolish lawsuit proceed. This is one of the things that is wrong with this country. Still the best place on earth but declining.
iflyem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 19:26   #21
clarson_75

are you guys forgetting today's political climate. This guy is going to win millions in court. Not because he's not a ****ing idiot, but because politicians will see this as a great opportunity to cost a big gun manufacturer lots of profits. I would say that right now was the best time for this guy to take advantage. The whole system is going to be pitted against Glock. Especially in that state.

This nation is lead by a government that doesn't care what the law is and filled with a majority of people that don't care what the government does.
clarson_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 19:41   #22
Pier23

Not up on small children, but how can a 3 yr old kid hold and actuate the trigger..,Glocks are not hair triggers....???
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 19:45   #23
GLOCK19FTW

Pier, my 19 has a 5mm trigger pull. And I'm sure most are somewhere around there.

I'd consider that close to being a hair trigger.

HOWEVER (and this is a BIG however) - This lawsuit is just plain ridiculous.

This guy leaves his LOADED pistol under his seat (HIS FAULT)

He does NOT strap the child in to a car seat (HIS FAULT)

Yet he believes Glock is to blame??? YEAH RIGHT!!!

This is going nowhere fast.. Guaranteed.

They should file a counter lawsuit against him for wasting their time and resources in court.
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"\
\_@_@_@_@_/

Last edited by GLOCK19FTW; 02-18-2013 at 19:46..
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 19:49   #24
Rleee

Maybe we should just give Ca. back to Mexico.
Old 02-18-2013, 19:50   #25
Hawkeye16

Sad thing is even if he doesn't win it costs glock millions in legal fees just to defend. Probably has already cost them that much!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Hawkeye16 is offline   Reply With Quote