Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-18-2013, 00:35   #21
arthur007

The 8-pack of crayons - Jumbo Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southswede View Post
The 8-pack of crayons. You know, the fat ones so the kids can get a good hold on them?
Good quality item for consumption for a child older than 15 months.
arthur007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:05   #22
Fredder
TANSTAAFL

I have read where the much vaunted Safariland holsters are subject to the same clogging with debris problem. There was also a warning issued for the light bearing model.
Tex, admitted that it was his fault and not an equipment failure that caused his ND. ( That never gets mentioned. )
We have a about a 50/50 mix of Serpas and Safarilands being used by our Deputies. I use a Serpa both on and off duty. I have nothing against either holster.
Use what you want to use. Don't let internet commandos talk you into ( or out of ) anything.

Last edited by Fredder; 02-18-2013 at 09:09..
Fredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:02   #23
SCmasterblaster

Practice practice practice with your holster.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:21   #24
arthur007

I've got the opportunity to get one at a great price but have never owned one. ..... I had a lot of questions that I didn't ask cause I didn't want to clog up the roster
arthur007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 23:34   #25
F14Scott
CLM Number 283
Luggage

I just bought one for my G23, this weekend.

My normal EDC is an IWB Comp Tac Minotaur, which I love, but sometimes I am wearing the wrong pants or belt and just want a paddle to slip on. I have been limping along on an old Fobus that held the pistol so tightly that drawing gave a 50/50 chance of still having the paddle attached. So I got the Sherpa Sportster at Academy for <$30.

It's awesome. The Glock slips in easily and locks into place with a satisfying click. The paddle is wide and comfortable, and with the included, optional belt prongs installed, is completely immobile against any belt. The holster's screws can be removed from the paddle to allow five angles of cant, before replacing the screws. The Serpa does stick out a tiny bit more than the Fobus, but barely enough to be noticeable. It fits fine under a long t-shirt or a sweater/sweatshirt/blazer.

And, the unlock button falls perfectly under my extended index finger. Drawing leaves that finger along the frame, just below the slide. It is slick and effortless.

Am I worried about an ND? No. I have to deliberately move my finger from the draw position to the fire position. In fact, I think it encourages proper grip of the gun with the finger off the trigger on the draw.

Am I worried about the lock getting broken or fouled with FOD? Nope. I'm pretty suburban and not prone to carrying when I'm in the mud.

For $30, give one a spin.

Last edited by F14Scott; 02-11-2014 at 07:20..
F14Scott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 23:52   #26
wallytoo
FA4AA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21GlockStreet View Post
Front Sight academy does not allow Serpa style holsters.
http://www.frontsight.com/courses/de...ing-course.asp
I found that to be pretty ironic, because I had attended several 4-day handgun classes with my Serpa, and I thought their training was terrific. Then they decided not to allow them anymore.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. George Washington
wallytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:54   #27
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

I'm not a fan of the holster, and I think this video really lays out the problem with using the holster on the belt (as in the video, I think it's probably fine on the thigh)...

"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:55   #28
Southswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I'm not a fan of the holster, and I think this video really lays out the problem with using the holster on the belt (as in the video, I think it's probably fine on the thigh)...

Opinion: Blackhawk SERPA and Tex Grebners Mishap - YouTube
The holster is NOT unsafe when worn on the belt. "Tex" did not follow the rules of safe gun handling and that is why "Tex" shot himself in the leg.
Southswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:39   #29
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Grebner's demise had nothing to do with the holster. He intentionally pulled the trigger. Meant to. Just forgot it wasn't a gun with a thumb safety. He was practicing a technique commonly referred to as the doofus quick-draw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post

Opinion: Blackhawk SERPA and Tex Grebners Mishap - YouTube
Old 02-11-2014, 12:37   #30
4Rules

Read this thread.
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:42   #31
4Rules

4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 14:30   #32
larry_minn
Silver Membership

I agree its not the best holster out there. It does work for what it is, cost, etc.

If you reholster with finger on trigger, loaded chamber..the gun will go off... WOW (does ANYONE train to have finger on trigger BEFORE sights are on target?)
I use it for carbine courses. Just too dang hard to get at pistol under vest in concealment holster. Other then that its bedside holster. Seldom used in public. (just too dang bulky) IMO.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 16:16   #33
Southswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rules View Post
Read this thread.
You may not realize this, but if YOU pull the trigger, the gun may just go off. Tex found this out, especially after he flipped the safety down on his 1911. The holster had NOTHING to do with the gun going bang. It doesn't matter who bans the holster. The fact remains: pulling the trigger tends to make the gun go bang.......maybe we should blame the gun?
Old 02-11-2014, 16:18   #34
Southswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_minn View Post
I agree its not the best holster out there. It does work for what it is, cost, etc.

If you reholster with finger on trigger, loaded chamber..the gun will go off... WOW (does ANYONE train to have finger on trigger BEFORE sights are on target?)
I use it for carbine courses. Just too dang hard to get at pistol under vest in concealment holster. Other then that its bedside holster. Seldom used in public. (just too dang bulky) IMO.
Good Point Larry!!!

I remember when people blamed the Glock for unintentional discharges. Proper training solved the Glock just going off claims......maybe Glock was on to something: proper training?
Old 02-12-2014, 07:55   #35
garyjandfamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallytoo View Post
I found that to be pretty ironic, because I had attended several 4-day handgun classes with my Serpa, and I thought their training was terrific. Then they decided not to allow them anymore.
I recently attended a 2-Day Skill Builder at Front Sight. I did an informal (visual) poll of holsters, and the Serpa was the most popular holster there. Everbody just crammed a foam earplug under the release mechanism and went through the class.

"A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."
garyjandfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:17   #36
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Grebner's demise had nothing to do with the holster. He intentionally pulled the trigger. Meant to. Just forgot it wasn't a gun with a thumb safety. He was practicing a technique commonly referred to as the doofus quick-draw.
My post really had nothing to do w/ Grebner (although that was his basis for showing some of the flaws in the holster). I think the video shows the dangerous pitfalls that holster can have. I think the biggest issue, is wearing it on the belt w/ the forward cant. He explained it better than I ever could, so I'll just leave it to the video to explain it. The bio-mechanics just don't put you in a position to make a good draw/press the button, IF the gun gets stuck because the shooter fails to engage the button properly.

As I said, for a straight drop thigh holster, I think it's a great holster. I don't own one, but if I needed a thigh holster, I'd get it.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:35   #37
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

There are no dangerous pitfalls associated with the holster. It's just a budget holster that requires the finger be indexed away from the trigger to release the weapon, which is a good thing. Of course, it's also a good thing to not use your trigger finger for anything for anything but the trigger. In the case of this holster, that's not a safety issue at all, but it is a consideration in a broader sense. While the serpa is adequate, and remains in widespread law enforcement and military use, we switched to the safariland 6377/6378, as it's a much more sturdy, long lasting holster. I highly recommend it.

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 02-12-2014 at 10:36..
Bill Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 13:07   #38
Line Bore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
If you're unsure of your ability to safely handle a loaded firearm, no holster which requires skill or dexterity to release the weapon is suitable for you. But then, you'd probably be too busy putting corks on the end of all your dinner forks to get around to shooting.

Well said, sir, well said!

I get a kick out of the experts that shoot themselves and blame the equipment. I got a Serpa for my wife (range duty), and she seems to be able to remember the 4 rules after only a couple of hours of dry practice. Most pertinent to this thread, of course, Keep Your Finger Off Of The @#$%&*-+ Trigger unit you're ready to shoot.

Caught somewhere in time.
"The freedom to own and carry the weapon of your choice is a natural, fundamental, and inalienable human, individual, civil, and Constitutional right-- subject neither to the democratic process nor to arguments grounded in social utility."

L. Neil Smith
Line Bore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 13:18   #39
plumbum2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyena View Post
I carry one on duty. Pros: It's fast, easy to use. Cons: if you don't practice with it in a high stress situation you may shoot yourself. And for a LEO it's easy to use for other people I don't like going hands on with it.

I had a Glock rep as a firearms instructor at the academy. He told us never ever carry with the serpa. He said that when the serpa came out that accidental officer shootings increased 100%. I don't have a choice I have to use what my department issues. I have used it for some of our force on force training and so far haven't shot myself.
i thought i read somewhere that some or a lot of agencies have banned the holster from ANY use of their officers because of AD's.....
plumbum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 13:20   #40
plumbum2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Rules View Post

that video is hilarious... especially when his gun jams!!
plumbum2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glock holster, holsters, leather holster, leather slide holster