Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:36   #1
intenseneal

Mag followers?

What is the difference between the different number mag followers? I have 3 mags with 3 different followers a # 5, 6 and my new Gen 4 mag had a 8. They all feed just fine.
intenseneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:10   #2
samuse

I'm not sure what the differences are. I've asked quite a few people and never got the impression that anyone really knows for sure. The best I gather is that they've been changed a little to alter how the follower engages the slide stop and to more reliable feeding of popular hollow points.

I've had all of the 9mm followers and never had a problem with any of 'em.

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 14:52   #3
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by intenseneal View Post
They all feed just fine.
Then there's no problem to "fix".

Seriously, there was a mag body design revision which prevents older followers being used in newer mag bodies, and they've continued to make revisions to help improve feeding of assorted hollowpoints even in the newer mags.

A current listing of Glock Parts explains which followers can be used in which production vintage of mag bodies, if someone is really interested. Not hard to find online.

A few years ago I was experiencing some feeding stoppages with then-new G27 mags that came with the #6 .40 follower. When I discussed it with Glock (as an armorer), I was told that it might be due to a slight out-of-spec issue with the mag lips (liner), and that they'd inspect and replace the mags, but they agreed to send me the current .40 follower, first, which was the #8 version. (The #7 .40 follower didn't seem to be around that long.) The #8 .40 follower resolved my feeding issues and I kept the existing mags.

They've since come out with yet another one, the #9 .40 follower (which I've seen in even newer G27 mags), but I won't replace the #8's unless they either exhibit the "need' for it, or it comes time to replace them due to wear & tear (the G27 has more than 13+K rounds fired through it, and I mostly rotate through all my G27 mags over the year for range quals, training & practice ).

I still have much older G27 & G26 mags that are still in use and reliable with the assortment of differently numbered original followers, so I just replace mag springs periodically and leave the followers alone.

If they work, they work.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 02-16-2013 at 14:55..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 21:12   #4
intenseneal

Yeah the 2 mags that came with my G23 are old one is labeled 9/1993 , but they have not given me any problems. The other one has no date on it but the follower has some wear. If it aint broke dont fix it.
intenseneal is offline   Reply With Quote