GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-15-2013, 20:12   #21
CDW4ME

Glock ruined the Glock perfection that was typical of 2007 models and before.

In the past, I could buy a new Glock and it would work 100% out of the box, with any regular ammo and no brass to the face.

How to ruin a legacy for no reason? First the MIM "dip" extractors in the late Gen 3, then the apparently oversprung Gen 4.

I will note that my recently purchased model 36 (made July 2012) performed perfectly for its initial hundred rounds, thank God.
Old 02-15-2013, 20:13   #22
md21

I was getting BTF 90% of the time from my G19 Gen4. I sent it back to Glock. They replaced the ejector and the RSA with the newer versions. It's been absolutely perfect ever since, firing over 1,500 rounds of everything including WWB, Sellier & Bellot, cheap TulAmmo, Winchester Ranger NATO, and Speer +P Gold Dots. Get those parts changed and I think it'll eat anything and love it.
md21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 20:15   #23
VinnieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJessie View Post
My question to Glock would be this: what have you changed in the guns so that now they'll only function as they should on 124gr-up? Obviously there was something about the older guns that has been changed on the new ones. Care to share?
That is a great question bro. Idk why they would change a thing internally. They worked great the way they were. All my glocks are gen3 and I have not had one problem
VinnieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 20:32   #24
Bruce M

Interesting that they put that in writing (presuming they did.) Might be interesting to have someone else shoot it.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 20:50   #25
pat701

IMHO when you buy a NIB firearm of any brand it should function reliably without any modifications or specific ammo requirements
pat701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 21:31   #26
samurairabbi
Dungeon Schmuck

I remember the first five years the Sigma was on the market. Many were temperamental out of the box. The same period Glocks were smooth out of the box.

Now Glocks are routinely being squirrely out of.the box.
Old 02-15-2013, 21:34   #27
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurairabbi View Post
An interesting statement from Glock. Are they backing away from their long-standing statement about Glocks functioning with any commercially available ammo meeting SAAMI specs?
He didn't say it didn't function, he said it he was taking BTF.
Old 02-15-2013, 21:34   #28
Deaf Smith

Well my Glocks will ONLY put a brass case in my face if I let it twist in my hand during recoil so the ejection port is pointed abit toward my face.

I suspect that is what is happening. They need a tighter hold on their gun.

Deaf
Old 02-15-2013, 21:43   #29
samurairabbi
Dungeon Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTrooper View Post
He didn't say it didn't function, he said it he was taking BTF.
Please be assured that I contemplate truly picturesque epithets ahout your IQ, parentage, eyesight, ancestry, and sense of direction.

Last edited by samurairabbi; 02-15-2013 at 21:43..
samurairabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 21:59   #30
Comrade Bork

The guns are designed in AUSTRIA.

Ya Know? EUROPE.

Where NATO spec ammo is 124 grain.

Come on.

115grain 9mm ammo exists so American bullet manufacturers can make 11 bullets for the same amount of metal they would need to make 10 124gr bullets. Cheapskates. Nothing magical about 115s. The gun was designed around 124s.

Glock tweaked the springs and ejectors so the Gen4s I have shot, at least, don't BTF.

Just shot a State Steel Challenge Championship with my G34Gen4. Used Atlanta Arms Blue Box 115s (gun was designed for 124s; didn't say I never shot 115s myself. With the current ammo drought I like everyone else will take what I can get when I can get it.)

Functioned flawlessly and no brass in the face.

Are the ones still causing the problems ones that have not received the updated parts?
Comrade Bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 22:57   #31
JimFS
JimFS

Just some comments from a nerd. I did look up the NATO specs the other day. Got tired of not knowing what they really meant. Very old. Glocks were supposed to be designed to meet NATO specs. So they were originally designed for between 108 and 128 gr bullets. Most rounds used would likely have been 124 gr so I assume this is the sweet spot. The pressure ranges stated however appear to be higher than what I see listed for +P loads. So while 115 gr is well within the NATO spec the pressures and energy of less expensive rounds would be lower than NATO. And since any recoil operated pistol is likely dependent on the bullet weight and the internal pressure to cycle the slide, any change from the sweet spot could change the speed of the slide coming back, which affects how the case is ejected from the gun. And of course you can limp wrist it and add another variable to the equation.

I would also assume that a lighter pistol, such as a polymer Glock (and other makes), might also be more prone to limp wrist problems since the polymer frame has less mass to stabalize the gun. But then again it is really nice to have a light pistol for carry.

As for the popularity of Glocks. Seems like they are very popular at this time since a couple of weeks ago a Glock rep told me they had over 600,000 on backorder. Most larger gun stores, including Gander Mt and two Bass Pro Shops I visited recently had no glocks at all.

From --- happy with my Glocks
JimFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:07   #32
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

I have 2 Gen3 G19's. From the start one had BTF problems and the other did not. I have shot everything from 80gr bullets to 147gr bullets and it has made no differences in my pistols ejection patterns.
I call BS!
Old 02-16-2013, 03:05   #33
clarkz71

"The gen4 Glocks are made to be a military pistol and are built to handle a higher pressure load".

This is some statement. So after almost 30 years the reason
for BTF is the new Glocks are a military pistol?

Why are they selling to civillians then? They know what ammo we shoot.

And they test fire with aluminum case Blazer. Is that a NATO round?

I call BS.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923
clarkz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:37   #34
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
I have 2 Gen3 G19's. From the start one had BTF problems and the other did not. I have shot everything from 80gr bullets to 147gr bullets and it has made no differences in my pistols ejection patterns.
I call BS!

That certainly suggests there is some difference between the two guns.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:44   #35
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurairabbi View Post
Please be assured that I contemplate truly picturesque epithets ahout your IQ, parentage, eyesight, ancestry, and sense of direction.
At least someone is thinking about me...
Old 02-16-2013, 07:46   #36
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkz71 View Post
"The gen4 Glocks are made to be a military pistol and are built to handle a higher pressure load".

This is some statement. So after almost 30 years the reason
for BTF is the new Glocks are a military pistol?

Why are they selling to civillians then? They know what ammo we shoot.

And they test fire with aluminum case Blazer. Is that a NATO round?

I call BS.
My former ammo of choice was Blazer aluminum until it became nearly as expensive as brass. It seemed hotter than your normal 115gr bulk bullet
Old 02-16-2013, 07:47   #37
countsk

That most apply to Gen 4s only because my Gen 2 G19, that I've owned for 20 years, and my Gen 3 G26 will run anything. Has Glock been taken over by morons?
countsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:02   #38
PocketProtector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
I call BS!
So...what was the solution to the problem?
Old 02-16-2013, 08:11   #39
Lowjiber

My three Glock 9mm's (17g3/19g4/26g3) all perform great with 115 grain range ammo (mostly Blazer Brass). Thousands of rounds with absolutely no failures or BTF issues.

Sounds strange to me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Lowjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:12   #40
eagle15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bha0198 View Post
I recently got my G17 gen 4 back from Glock because of a BTF issue. They didn't fix it, and said I need to be shooting 124 grain ammo.

"The gen4 Glocks are made to be a military pistol and are built to handle a higher pressure load. The reason you are getting BTF is because you are shooting Winchester 115 grain." (Of which I have a bulk pack of 1000 of...)

Seriously?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
We all would love to see a copy of the written guidance from Glock.
eagle15 is offline   Reply With Quote