Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 19:57   #301
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolePhin View Post
Just found this interesting article.

http://thinkinggunfighter.blogspot.c...ry-or-why.html
The author of this article was a regular participant here at GT for a long time. Where did David Armstrong disappear to?

David's piece on C1 vs. C3 is honest and compelling, in my opinion. Thanks for bringing it up.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:42   #302
SevenSixtyTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
The Glock 'safety' concept still escapes me. How is it that a safety can prevent an AD or ND (the purpose of a safety) if it is disengaged by putting rearward pressure on the trigger? Please explain.
That's why I believe a chambered Glock should be considered C-0. Drop safe yes but there is nothing to prevent the accidental pull of the trigger.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:26   #303
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
The Glock 'safety' concept still escapes me. How is it that a safety can prevent an AD or ND (the purpose of a safety) if it is disengaged by putting rearward pressure on the trigger? Please explain.
Like Jeff Cooper said, "It's like writing the combination on the safe door."

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."
Old 02-15-2013, 08:29   #304
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
Like Jeff Cooper said, "It's like writing the combination on the safe door."

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
Happy - I'm missing your point here. My question about the Glock 'safety' isn't meant to be sarcastic or loaded in any way. I'm just hard pressed to call it a safety in the sense I've understood firearm safeties for 50 years.

The only way the trigger safety works on a Glock is if pressure is applied only to the outside trigger levers. The center lever disengages the safety for firing. This is the reason folks always say 'the safety is the shooter's brain, which keeps their finger off of the trigger'.

I believe its misleading to inexperienced shooters to imply the Glock trigger mechanism is a safety that prevents unintended trigger pulls. I'm just trying to be factual (truthful). PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong about this point.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 02-15-2013 at 08:30..
Old 02-15-2013, 09:02   #305
D.S.Brown

Once again it is really simple. Strictly adhere to the safety rules, and keep your finger off the trigger until your on target and ready to destroy something. If your finger is on the trigger and you discharge the gun without intending to do so, that is not an accident, it is negligence. Some people are being willful in their disregard of this fact! Carriage and use of firearms require a heightened level of awareness and discipline. Those that require a mechanical device to make up for deficiencies in these areas, as well as lack of common sense are dangerous, and better serve themselves and others, by finding non lethal means of self defense.

Best
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:37   #306
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.S.Brown View Post
Once again it is really simple. Strictly adhere to the safety rules, and keep your finger off the trigger until your on target and ready to destroy something. If your finger is on the trigger and you discharge the gun without intending to do so, that is not an accident, it is negligence. Some people are being willful in their disregard of this fact! Carriage and use of firearms require a heightened level of awareness and discipline. Those that require a mechanical device to make up for deficiencies in these areas, as well as lack of common sense are dangerous, and better serve themselves and others, by finding non lethal means of self defense.

Best
Dave
I understand your statement, Dave, but it seems to skirt the issue of whether or not Glock's trigger safety is, in fact, a safety. That's the issue of the moment. What say you?

While I'm thinking about your position (mechanical safety devices shouldn't be counted on to make up for personal deficiencies and lack of common sense), please consider how your advice applies to a chambered, cocked 1911. Is mental discipline and common sense all one needs to carry safely in Condition-0 every day in a proper holster and perform whatever administrative handling one needs to do ? Is the ability to keep one's finger off of the trigger all thats necessary? Or is a mechanical safety device appropriate for 1911s?

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 02-15-2013 at 09:53..
Old 02-15-2013, 15:53   #307
D.S.Brown

My thoughts as a trainer regarding the safeties on a 1911 are as follows:

1.) Due to the fact that the design was engineered to be carried in condition 1, (bullet in the chamber, hammer cocked, and thumb safety engaged), the palm safety and the thumb safety were included as a redundancy in the event the weapon was dropped, an accidental discharge would not occur.

2.) The safeties were not included to mitigate against poor gun handling.

At the end of the day no safety or condition of carry takes the place of proper gun handling, and adherance to the safety rules.

As to the Glocks trigger safety no I don't think it is a safety in the same way as a 1911 thumb safety.

In the end the only way to prevent a negligent discharge is to be disciplined and conscientious of keeping the finger off the trigger. Anyone that uses the trigger as a finger rest while manipulating the gun without intending to fire is a negligent discharge waiting to happen. Kind of like riding a motorcycle, it's not "if" you're going to fall, but when.

Best,

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 02-15-2013, 16:32   #308
intenseneal

I EDCC a Gen 2 G23 hot and ready to go if the need ever arises. Carrying a cold weapon for self defense is pointless. Should you need to defend yourself you will have to operate the slide and chamber a round not only does this take precious seconds where seconds matter but it is a very distinct sound if you are needing to be silent. Having a good holster that completely covers the trigger is a must for any gun that is to be carried. You must also be comfortable carrying and using the gun. Train and make it second nature to handle and unholster your gun from where you carry. The gun will not go off unless you pull the trigger. A heavier trigger pull may be a good idea for those that are afraid of AD. There is always a risk when carrying a loaded weapon the key to safety is like I said, good holster, training and familiarity of the gun. The problem with training to draw from the holster is that some gun ranges will not allow a holster weapon on the range, weird I know but they do it for safety.
Old 02-15-2013, 17:13   #309
GIG4FUN

BEST for me...
I've learned this / (see video). I'm confident and have peace about it being best for me.

AND I recommend!

SArmory XDm.45compact - H&K .45c / NRA member
S&W & Browning & Ruger & Winchester & Remington

Last edited by GIG4FUN; 02-15-2013 at 17:23..
Old 02-15-2013, 18:09   #310
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.S.Brown View Post
My thoughts as a trainer regarding the safeties on a 1911 are as follows:

1.) Due to the fact that the design was engineered to be carried in condition 1, (bullet in the chamber, hammer cocked, and thumb safety engaged), the palm safety and the thumb safety were included as a redundancy in the event the weapon was dropped, an accidental discharge would not occur.

2.) The safeties were not included to mitigate against poor gun handling.

At the end of the day no safety or condition of carry takes the place of proper gun handling, and adherance to the safety rules.

As to the Glocks trigger safety no I don't think it is a safety in the same way as a 1911 thumb safety.

In the end the only way to prevent a negligent discharge is to be disciplined and conscientious of keeping the finger off the trigger. Anyone that uses the trigger as a finger rest while manipulating the gun without intending to fire is a negligent discharge waiting to happen. Kind of like riding a motorcycle, it's not "if" you're going to fall, but when.

Best,

Dave
Thanks, Dave.

I thought 1911 safeties were included in the design to make the pistol safer for members of the military to carry/use.

I think most 1911 owners today use the thumb safety to prevent an unintended discharge during normal handling.

If you had a student learning to CC with a 1911, how would you advise him to carry it? Would you teach that keeping his finger off of the trigger is adequate to prevent a ND? Or would you recommend using the thumb safety?
Old 02-15-2013, 20:09   #311
D.S.Brown

I always advise students to carry the gun in the manner it was engineered to be carried in, so for 1911's a round chambered, hammer cocked, and thumb safety engaged.

The above is the best way to avoid unintentional discharges. Finger off the trigger to eliminate negligent discharges.

Best,
Dave

Old 02-15-2013, 22:48   #312
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
IMHO... (I like the .40's as hunting pistols as far as finishing shots, and the 10mm for any once-in-a-lifetime shots able to made on "stupid game.")

Now, as far as self-defense (hereafter SD): The Glock is hands down the best platform on the market. If you are going to carry an SD firearm in a purse, then skip the Glock, as well as any other semi-auto pistol, as they really aren't suited well for that type of conceal carry.

However, if you are going to utilize a holster for CC, then the Glock is heads and shoulders above all the others as an SD platform.

Lastly, since it is being carried for SD, regardless of how you carry with the exception of not being holstered, then by all means, forever KEEP ONE IN THE TUBE at all times!

Just my $0.02, ymsv,biid,wc.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"It's a lot simpler to fool people than it is to convince them they've been fooled."

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 02-15-2013 at 22:50..
Old 02-15-2013, 23:09   #313
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIG4FUN View Post
BEST for me...
I've learned this / (see video). I'm confident and have peace about it being best for me.

AND I recommend!

Modified Israeli Mossad Draw (IMD) - YouTube
Ugh........

What occurs if you have already been shot in your non-dominant arm?

Please elaborate....

If you have a Glock, and it is in a holster, carry one in the tube folks.
"Nothing we're gonna do is going to fundamentally alter or eliminate the possibility of another mass shooting or guarantee that [our gun ban legislation] will bring gun deaths down..." - VPOTUS Joe Biden
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"It's a lot simpler to fool people than it is to convince them they've been fooled."

Last edited by Peace Warrior; 02-15-2013 at 23:10..
Old 02-15-2013, 23:23   #314
mingaa

How many steps do you want between you and the ability to fire your gun? How many seconds or fractions of seconds do you want to give up against a threat? How safe is your carry method?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:21   #315
SevenSixtyTwo

If you can hold a Glock with one hand, you can easily rack the slide on just about anything, belt, table edge...
Old 02-16-2013, 07:43   #316
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSixtyTwo View Post
If you can hold a Glock with one hand, you can easily rack the slide on just about anything, belt, table edge...
Say what?

In all practicality, the need to do that is going to end up not working in a defensive situation, let alone that is crazy talk.

I don't see any effective means at all of not carrying hot, in any case, no matter how mall ninja someone thinks they are. In an SD situation, be it from cover or not, I want to take out my weapon ready, not rack the slide, not ever.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:51   #317
DevilDocsGlocks

Just got my new INCOG In the waist band Holster fro G-Code Tactical Holsters. I now feel 100% confident in keeping a round in the chamber with this holster.

https://www.facebook.com/GCodeHolsters
Old 02-16-2013, 09:43   #318
Laslo

Think about this

I started hunting when I got my first 12ga at thirteen. I have hunted small game and deer, in the state I live. If I went deer hunting without one in the chamber and had to chamber a slug in my shotgun when a deer came into sight, I would be spotted by a deer instantly.

Here's the difference. When someone goes hunting, that person is the hunter, they are constantly looking for the prey, they are not making any noise, their mind is focused, they are ready for action.

With the exception of a small percent of people, maybe one percent or less, most people become COMPLACENT, and are not thinking of attack. Interaction with family, friends, the public, and our sense of purpose for that moment contain most of our attention and focus.

An attacker, is prepared in their mind to commit a crime. Most successful attackers are very good at spotting people who are easy prey. The attacker always has the advantage of making the first move.

With that said, do you feel 100% comfortable not having a round in the chamber. In the unfortunate event that you are attacked you will be taken off guard in such a way that your reaction time and what you do to react, might make the difference between life and death.

Do you feel good with that?

Laslo
Old 02-16-2013, 11:35   #319
SevenSixtyTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDrake View Post
Say what?

In all practicality, the need to do that is going to end up not working in a defensive situation, let alone that is crazy talk.

I don't see any effective means at all of not carrying hot, in any case, no matter how mall ninja someone thinks they are. In an SD situation, be it from cover or not, I want to take out my weapon ready, not rack the slide, not ever.
It works quite well. If you're in a bad HDH situation even C-1 or C-0 and due to something interfering with the slide operation like clothes or hands, you might have to rack the slide one handed with whatever you have available to catch the sights on in order to chamber the next round. Nothing crazy about it.
Old 02-16-2013, 14:35   #320
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laslo View Post
I started hunting when I got my first 12ga at thirteen. I have hunted small game and deer, in the state I live. If I went deer hunting without one in the chamber and had to chamber a slug in my shotgun when a deer came into sight, I would be spotted by a deer instantly.

Here's the difference. When someone goes hunting, that person is the hunter, they are constantly looking for the prey, they are not making any noise, their mind is focused, they are ready for action.

With the exception of a small percent of people, maybe one percent or less, most people become COMPLACENT, and are not thinking of attack. Interaction with family, friends, the public, and our sense of purpose for that moment contain most of our attention and focus.

An attacker, is prepared in their mind to commit a crime. Most successful attackers are very good at spotting people who are easy prey. The attacker always has the advantage of making the first move.

With that said, do you feel 100% comfortable not having a round in the chamber. In the unfortunate event that you are attacked you will be taken off guard in such a way that your reaction time and what you do to react, might make the difference between life and death.

Do you feel good with that?

Laslo
Like you, I started hunting small game as a kid, often riding a bicycle to my squirrel hunting woods. My .22 rifle and my shotguns all had a manual safety to help keep me safe with a round in the chamber. I NEVER hunted the woods or fields with my long gun chambered and the safety off...until it was time to put meat in the pot.

If I'm ever surprise-attacked while carrying a Glock C3, I'm willing to accept the consequences. I'm a cautious dude, and I won't take chances that sometimes lead to a dangerous situation.

Will cautious behavior guarantee a sneak attack won't happen? Of course not. Do I feel like my odds of avoiding a surprise attack are very, very high? You betchum Red Ryder!!

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 02-16-2013 at 14:36..

Closed Thread