Originally Posted by BobbyS View Post
Here is what you want to shoot for...

http://www.wimp.com/fastestgunman/
I've seen him shoot in person before. He is amazingly fast
Old 02-09-2013, 18:18   #283
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
All these words, but let us amateurs not forget "I'm the only one in this room professional enough........"

DEA Agent Shoots Himself - YouTube

Youthful hubris brings special recognition, so remember shiz happens. Maybe Glocks really need a magazine disconnect?
The dufus in the video made several mistakes, if I correctly remember how things unfolded.

First, he didn't clear and visually inspect his pistol.

Second, he allowed his weapon (chambered or unchambered) to leave his sight, where it was placed on a table and might possibly have been accessed by anyone.

Third, when the pistol was returned to him he neglected to clear and inspect it before his demonstration began.

As a result, dufus lost his LEO position, but the consolation prize is he's become an Internet icon for his singularly idiotic display of stupidity. I hope he's smart enough to realize how lucky he is, insofar as understanding how terribly much worse things would be for him had anyone else been injured or killed.
Old 02-09-2013, 18:19   #284
FloorPoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
First you state how a Glock is "just as safe as a DO revolver" and then you go on to list all the exceptions to your statement.

Personally I would not hesitate to drop my S&W 442 in a coat pocket but I can't concieve of doing the same with a C1 Glock.

They are not even remotely the same and you did a great job of illustrating why.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
I wouldn't carry any loaded firearm loose in a pocket, or just tucked in a waistband. Revolver or otherwise.

Oh, and this. IMHO!

Last edited by FloorPoor; 02-09-2013 at 18:35..
Old 02-09-2013, 20:03   #285
phoenixg23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlenGunClub View Post
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Im confident enough with myself handling and holstering the weapon to not be concerned with an accidental discharge. My CHL instructor mentioned the safety issue thing and said "I'd be scared to carry that thing chambered" so I thought it was a big deal with Glocks. Guess not. Glad to hear it's not and I'll carry it ready to go.

Question if I may. You stated your instructor said "I'd be scared to carry that thing chambered"? Did your class use semi-automatic handguns or revolvers? The reason I ask, I registered my daughter for a Basic Handgun Safety Course, they discussed semi-automatic handguns and revolvers. The problem was, come range time the students only had live fire practice with a .38 special.

Just my opinion, if a person is going to carry a weapon for personal protection they need first to practice, practice and more practice with the firearm they intend on carrying. Be efficient with that firearm to the degree a person knows that having a round in the chamber will not magically go off. Said persons need to also practice drawing from their carry holster (empty firearm or training rounds that will not go bang.)

To carry a firearm for personal protection that is not in the ready (one in the chamber if you will) is like those that say "the bad guy will run when they hear me rack the slide. Both instructors for my daughter's course specifically said "if you carry a gun, make sure it is loaded and ready to be fired." I agreed with them on that point.

Good luck, make the right choices, practice, practice, learn the local laws concerning the use of Deadly Lethal Force and remember, a person's mind is the most powerful weapon, stay alert.
Old 02-09-2013, 23:40   #286
unit1069

Food for thought after reading another Carry Issues thread: Just as carrying C1 or C3 is an individual decision, so too is open carry versus concealed carry.

The only times I have open carried a pistol was when I was venturing into deep woods and felt it was unlikely I'd meet someone I know. I respect the opinions of OC'ers but doubt I will ever consider open carry in my normal routine. I agree with the ancient Tao adage, "Keep your arms well hidden".

Those of us who are questioned over our normal choice of C3 carry are in my opinion at no more a disadvantage in a self-defense situation than someone who chooses to open carry. Perhaps at less a disadvantage compared to someone open carrying a gun whether chambered or not.

Just some food for thought for those following this thread.

Last edited by unit1069; 02-09-2013 at 23:40..
Old 02-10-2013, 03:22   #287
G-nineteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa1115 View Post
Just tell the bad guy to wait a second so you can draw and rack your slide.
Or you could be aware of your surroundings so that you'd see the threat coming.

Situational Awareness
Old 02-10-2013, 06:14   #288
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlenGunClub View Post
Hey guys,
I just got my CHL in TX and am deciding how I will carry my G23. I have heard arguments for keeping one in the chamber and keeping all in the clip, and I'm still stuck on the decision. I want y'alls opinions. I feel uneasy carrying one in the chamber as the glock has no external safety, but I don't want to waste time and possibly alert an enemy racking the slide if it ever comes down to it. Help me Glock Talk.
Not if you keep it in your purse.
“I would call my attorney general in and review every single executive order issued by George Bush and overturn those laws or executive decisions that I feel violate the constitution.” - Barry Soetoro
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"It's a lot simpler to fool people than it is to convince them they've been fooled."
Old 02-10-2013, 06:59   #289
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
Food for thought after reading another Carry Issues thread: Just as carrying C1 or C3 is an individual decision, so too is open carry versus concealed carry.

The only times I have open carried a pistol was when I was venturing into deep woods and felt it was unlikely I'd meet someone I know. I respect the opinions of OC'ers but doubt I will ever consider open carry in my normal routine. I agree with the ancient Tao adage, "Keep your arms well hidden".

Those of us who are questioned over our normal choice of C3 carry are in my opinion at no more a disadvantage in a self-defense situation than someone who chooses to open carry. Perhaps at less a disadvantage compared to someone open carrying a gun whether chambered or not.

Just some food for thought for those following this thread.
Folks, this thread is about carrying with one in the chamber and carrying without one in the chamber.

PLEASE limit the discussion to that topic.

If you want to branch out and talk about open carry, start a new thread.

Thanks...

Any further posts about OC in this thread will be removed.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
Old 02-10-2013, 07:11   #290
TJ Superfly

Plaxico Burress!
Old 02-10-2013, 15:05   #291
SevenSixtyTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa1115 View Post
Just tell the bad guy to wait a second so you can draw and rack your slide.
He's going to have to yawn and sway from one leg to the other while you fumble around with your cover garment to get your CCW drawn to begin with. Might as well offer him a smoke while you chamber a round.

Seriously though, drawing from concealment is going to be our most time consuming obstacle unless you pocket carry and just happen to have your hand on the grip when the BG pops out of nowhere. Unless you're eating fried chicken while out for a leisurely stroll in the rain when most muggings occur, racking a round isn't a huge time consumer. If the BG has the element of surprise, most of us are done C1 or C3. If you're big enough for H2H, the BG is more likely to pass you up as a target anyhow. Don't be fooled by the staged videos. We don't stand around the parking lot at Walmart with cover shirt up, combat grip, feet apart waiting for a cooperative attacker. You'll get hit hard when you least expect it. Been there twice. SA and avoidance has prevented it since. I carry C1 but I'm not fooling myself with speculative scenarios. They rarely play out in reality.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:03   #292
Peace Warrior
CLM Number 221
Am Yisrael Chai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSixtyTwo View Post
...Might as well offer him a smoke while you chamber a round. ...
“I would call my attorney general in and review every single executive order issued by George Bush and overturn those laws or executive decisions that I feel violate the constitution.” - Barry Soetoro
"Love 'Em All!!! Let Jehovah sort 'em out." - The Holy Bible
"It's a lot simpler to fool people than it is to convince them they've been fooled."
Old 02-14-2013, 08:15   #293
GlockFanWA

A fed gun is a happy gun. Have a round in the chamber to make it happy and you'll be happy when you need to use it.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:15   #294
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSixtyTwo View Post
Might as well offer him a smoke while you chamber a round.:
Since I don't carry a smoke to offer him, I'll rely on my bullet proof vest to buy enough time to rack the slide.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 02-14-2013 at 09:16..
Old 02-14-2013, 18:03   #295
SevenSixtyTwo

I go back and forth on the C1-C3 thoughts. I never worried about C1 with my Beretta Cougar. It's de-cocker and 14 lb DA pull is pretty reassuring when you have to unholster and re-holster several times during the day for work locations. When I bought my first Glock, I was pretty uneasy about it's light trigger and pre-tensionsed striker. I carried it C3 for a few months. I carried C1 if we went to Ybor at night but I was quite aware of it so not a problem. It was also holstered for the duration. I now carry my P938 C1. Loaded mag, chamber, safety on. Not sure if C1 is the proper term for a Glock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper
Old 02-14-2013, 18:17   #296
batto1999

expensive brick

that's the beauty of a Glock, there are three safeties, and are all disabled by pulling the trigger. My wife was told by an SRO that carrying an unloaded gun is like carrying an expensive brick. She carries a Kimber 1911, hammer back. Mine's a Glock 36 ready to go at any time.
Old 02-14-2013, 18:31   #297
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by batto1999 View Post
that's the beauty of a Glock, there are three safeties, and are all disabled by pulling the trigger. My wife was told by an SRO that carrying an unloaded gun is like carrying an expensive brick. She carries a Kimber 1911, hammer back. Mine's a Glock 36 ready to go at any time.
Expensive brick - I like that . . . . .
Old 02-14-2013, 18:31   #298
NolePhin

Just found this interesting article.

[url]http://thinkinggunfighter.blogspot.com/2010/09/myths-of-israeli-method-of-carry-or-why.html[/url]
Old 02-14-2013, 18:33   #299
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
All these words, but let us amateurs not forget "I'm the only one in this room professional enough........"

DEA Agent Shoots Himself - YouTube

Youthful hubris brings special recognition, so remember shiz happens. Maybe Glocks really need a magazine disconnect?
The guy in this video is a bad example on all fronts.
Old 02-14-2013, 19:46   #300
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by batto1999 View Post
The Glock 'safety' concept still escapes me. How is it that a safety can prevent an AD or ND (the purpose of a safety) if it is disengaged by putting rearward pressure on the trigger? Please explain.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 02-14-2013 at 19:48..

Closed Thread