SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:27   #1
TTex
Cannon Fodder

Competition for beginners

I recently purchased a G21 that I plan to use as the nightstand gun, this gives me a G17 that I can use for "play".
I'm looking into GSSF, but once a year and having to travel to anouther part of the state are drawbacks.
Having never done anything like it before, what type of shooting would you suggest? I'm looking for something that is fun, somewhat practical, doesnt require a ton of equipment, and something that isnt super competative (IE people throwing a fit when they miss). Anyone have some suggestions?
Also suggestions for modding the G17 for said competition would be appreciated.
TTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:39   #2
DannyR

Check www.gssfonline.com for any indoor series matches in your area. Check your local indoor ranges to see if any hold PPC matches.

Your G17 is best left stock, except for sights.
Bull Dawg #1
www.gssfonline.com
https://sites.google.com/site/dannyvickieryan

Last edited by DannyR; 02-08-2013 at 11:40..
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:10   #3
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTex View Post
I recently purchased a G21 that I plan to use as the nightstand gun, this gives me a G17 that I can use for "play".
I'm looking into GSSF, but once a year and having to travel to anouther part of the state are drawbacks.
Having never done anything like it before, what type of shooting would you suggest? I'm looking for something that is fun, somewhat practical, doesnt require a ton of equipment, and something that isnt super competative (IE people throwing a fit when they miss). Anyone have some suggestions?
Also suggestions for modding the G17 for said competition would be appreciated.
IDPA is very equipment friendly. Many holsters are legal, and all you need is two mag pouches.

USPSA has only slightly more equipment requirements, most production shooters use 4 mag pouches.

Of the two, I prefer USPSA but many prefer IDPA.

You need to be able to draw/holster safely, change mags while moving, but you just go slow when you're new with safety being the biggest concern. Speed up as you get more practice and confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:16   #4
ProCarryNAustin

Send a message via Yahoo to ProCarryNAustin
Not certain about GSSF, but IPSC and IDPA are set up such that you can show up for a match, attend a short briefing and then shoot a match all on the same day. Regular folks will help step you through as you go. Excellent crowd of folks to rub elbows with.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:44   #5
TSAX
USAF Vet

+1 to the GSSF, IDPA, IPSC options

NRA Member http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:50   #6
Slalom.45

TTex
I am in Louisiana and in the same boat. G21 that I am wanting to get better with. I have found the EAPS club (eapsclub.org) in Gonzales that shoots USPSA matches. They shoot the 3rd Sunday of the month and I am thinking about going next weekend for my first outing. If we both go there will at least be one other "newb" there.

There is an IDPA club in Beaumont which I will try out as well. From Lafayette Gonzales is about 1.5 hours and Beaumont is 2.
Slalom.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 15:40   #7
ede
Bama's Friend

GSSF and Steel Challenge are the most new shooter friendly.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 18:53   #8
ronin.45

Check with local ranges. IDPA and USPSA are both great choices. Just take your time and be safe to start. You'll improve fast once you get into it.
Old 02-08-2013, 19:04   #9
rdstrain49

Forget about trying to find a particular discipline. Shoot whatever is the most active in your area. You will find great folks willing to help as well as buttheads in any discipline. Most generally the great folks greatly out number the others. Most disciplines have stock categories that are less focused on who can spend the most on custom this and that. Most of all, don't worry about being the new guy, just get over it, everybody was the new guy at one time or another. Just shoot, learn and have fun.
rdstrain49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:05   #10
AZson

+1 for IDPA, it is based for CCW users. It is the one I prefer.
IPSC is more a pray and spray, shooting fast improves your score more then getting it in the 10 ring.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:03   #11
davsco

gssf and steel challenge are perhaps a little easier as there is no running around.

but definitely find and shoot some idpa and uspsa matches, you will not be disappointed. just start slow and safe and you will progress from there. if you're like me, you will rarely hit a static range again because it will be so boring.
davsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:05   #12
davsco

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZson View Post
IPSC is more a pray and spray, shooting fast improves your score more then getting it in the 10 ring.
both idpa and uspsa require being fast AND accurate. no praying about it, folks winning matches ain't doing a lot of missing or off center hits.
davsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:09   #13
tango44

IDPA is the way to go!
tango44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 19:48   #14
waktasz
Gamer Scumbag

Quote:
Sure it is.

For a beginning, IDPA is fine, but so is USPSA/IPSC; but remember, the best shooters in the world won't be found at an IDPA match, except for Bob Vogel.
waktasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:04   #15
Reaver2218

Send a message via Skype™ to Reaver2218
just cause top world shooters arent there doesnt mean its not good .. hell everyone started some where and I can bet those people shot IDPA all the darn time. plus its damn fun and its good training too I think alot of people forget that yeah its fun and a match but the principles of it are for training yourself to feel comfortable enough to have a ccw and draw and be able to defend yourself.
Reaver2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:05   #16
waktasz
Gamer Scumbag

What I meant was, if you REALLY want to improve your pistol handling skills, one is better than the other.
waktasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:18   #17
HoldHard

The OP is looking for some advice and guidance. Let's not turn this thread into a IPSC / IDPA battle. Both are shooting competitions. Both require a certain set of skills. If they are both available in your area, try both and decide for yourself.

As already posted, Glock Sport Shooting Foundation (GSSF) is an entry level competition. No movement is required. Bone stock Glocks are used and you don't need anything other than what came with your Glock. Just add ammunition.

Oh, and have fun!!

HH
Old 02-11-2013, 09:41   #18
ron59
Bustin Caps

Quote:

Bull****. You have no clue. Yes, speed is important, but if you're "praying" you get hits, you ain't winning. The best guys shoot fast AND get A-zone hits.

They cover lots of targets with hard cover or "no shoots" where the penalties are high. Hit those and don't make it up (well, even making up a no shoot doesn't help alot), and you ain't doing well.

I've shot them all, and USPSA (not much real IPSC in the USA) is tough and demanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerglocker View Post
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 17:40   #19
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Steel Challenge is a great beginner sport, no reloading on the clock, few rules, not "threatening", very little movement, you can understand the CoF beforehand, etc. And yet many professionals compete at the exact same sport.

IDPA is probably harder of all the shooting sports to remember and comply with all of the rules, procedural here - procedural there..... But a good sport overall, and pretty beginner friendly.
Old 02-14-2013, 18:18   #20
HK Dan

First off, IPSC is the international governing body that handles all foreign competitions. USPSA is the American branch of that sport. Get it right.

That said, I'd shoot both starting off--IDPA and USPSA. Both have valuable things to teach you, and with a G17 you are ideally set up for USPSA Production and IDPA Stock Service Pistol if you buy a Fobus holster or a Blackhawk CQC and a double mag pouch. Dont plan on being comeptitive for a year or so, and LISTEN TO THE ROs,

Finally--10% of the shooters do 90% of the work. Show up to help set up, stay late to help tear down, keep score from Day One. It wont be long and you'll catch the eye of the more experienced guys, who will take an interest in seeing you succeed. Plus, you get a nice advance look at the stage...<heh heh heh>

So, go shoot BOTH!
Dan
Old 02-14-2013, 18:21   #21
bigtimelarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyR View Post
Check www.gssfonline.com for any indoor series matches in your area. Check your local indoor ranges to see if any hold PPC matches.

Your G17 is best left stock, except for sights.
Yep. +1
bigtimelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:39   #22
ADK_40GLKr

Sounds like some of these guys got sidetracked.

Lots of local gun clubs have "practice" where we run through the course of fire with timers to get ready for official competitions.
The one I've been attending for almost a year now does IDPA, and I've improved lots from when I started out. It's the only one in our area, so that's what I do. Heck, most of the time we don't even post the scores, but just keep track of our own progress.

Just contact the guys at local clubs and ask if they do any competitive shooting?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Luke 22:36 He said to them, ... if you dont have a Glock, sell your cloak and buy one."

NRA, GSSF, IDPA, NY voter.
ADK_40GLKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:35   #23
ADK_40GLKr

That was NOT worth saying twice!
Luke 22:36 He said to them, ... if you dont have a Glock, sell your cloak and buy one."

NRA, GSSF, IDPA, NY voter.

Last edited by ADK_40GLKr; 02-24-2013 at 11:36..
ADK_40GLKr is offline   Reply With Quote