Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-12-2013, 14:57   #1
G27GenFour
American

Home intruder shot from 20 feet away, keeps charging...

Wow... just heard a report of a local homeowner who heard an intruder in his home at 4:00 a.m., went outside his bedroom, his wife in the bedroom behind him, door closed, and spots the intruder down the hallway. He tells the guy to freeze and the bad guy charges. Homeowner shoots from 20 or so feet away and doesn't know he hit the intruder; intruder keeps charging and covers the ground quickly. They engage in a struggle -- no more shots fired - and the HO regains control of the situation and manages to hold the guy there. Police arrive minutes later and only when they turn the perp over do they realize he's been hit in the abdomen. Homeowner couldn't even believe he'd hit the guy; the intruder apparently showed zero signs of being hit. A .40 caliber gun, by the way.Toxicology reports are not in yet, I hear. Wow.
G27GenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 15:08   #2
imSteve
NRA Benefactor

I took a tactical handgun class where the instructor once was a military police and indicated he ran into this problem several times with people that was high on pcp. He said 2 rounds in the pelvic region stopped 'em all in their tracks.

I hope I never have to find out if it works.

He had us do drills 2 rounds center mass & 2 rounds pelvic region.
imSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 15:12   #3
brboyer

Not at all surprised.

That's why you keep shooting until the threat stops!
brboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 15:19   #4
moonwilson

Scary stuff. He pulled the trigger once and then waited for the bullet to take effect? Was there something that kept him from shooting the guy a few more times before he closed the distance? Was he shooting FMJ range ammo?

I wouldn't rely on a single .40 cal shot stopping a bad guy. Even if you get him smack dab in the center of the chest he might not stop right away. Even a .44 magnum might not stop somebody if they're crazy enough.
moonwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 15:45   #5
Bren
NRA Life Member

That is the rule, not the exception. If you thought they would fall down and you'd know they were hit, you watch too many movies. I've seen a guy who took a .44 mag through the bone in his leg, pour gasoline on the shooters car, light it and sit down to have a cigarette by the time I got there. Seen a guy shot multiple times with a .30-30 rifle sitting on the ground drinking a beer when I pulled up, but died before he got to the hospital. Another one, shot 8 times with 10mm and .40 S&W, including 2 dead center of the head (forehead and inside corner of eye), still managed to pass the 21-foot gap the police were keeping when he first charged.

Last edited by Bren; 02-12-2013 at 15:46..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 16:03   #6
G27GenFour
American

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwilson View Post
Scary stuff. He pulled the trigger once and then waited for the bullet to take effect? Was there something that kept him from shooting the guy a few more times before he closed the distance? Was he shooting FMJ range ammo?

I wouldn't rely on a single .40 cal shot stopping a bad guy. Even if you get him smack dab in the center of the chest he might not stop right away. Even a .44 magnum might not stop somebody if they're crazy enough.
All those questions are so far unanswered, but I sure hope they tell us more...
G27GenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 17:49   #7
SpringerTGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
That is the rule, not the exception. If you thought they would fall down and you'd know they were hit, you watch too many movies. I've seen a guy who took a .44 mag through the bone in his leg, pour gasoline on the shooters car, light it and sit down to have a cigarette by the time I got there. Seen a guy shot multiple times with a .30-30 rifle sitting on the ground drinking a beer when I pulled up, but died before he got to the hospital. Another one, shot 8 times with 10mm and .40 S&W, including 2 dead center of the head (forehead and inside corner of eye), still managed to pass the 21-foot gap the police were keeping when he first charged.
That's why NY enacted the 7 round rule. You've got to put a limit on how many rounds a civilian can put into an attacker to make it a little more fair.
SpringerTGO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:23   #8
OctoberRust
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerTGO View Post
That's why NY enacted the 7 round rule. You've got to put a limit on how many rounds a civilian can put into an attacker to make it a little more fair.

OctoberRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:36   #9
fastbolt

I suspect a fair number of people who aren't privy to the actual results of people sustaining gunshot wounds may tend to have an unrealistic perception of the "effectiveness" of any particular handgun caliber & ammunition combination. Too much exposure to online video gaming, as well as TV & Movie special effects and scripted stunts.

This sort of misplaced confidence in handguns & handgun ammunition might be sometimes distract some owners/users from considering issues such as the handgun shooter being able to act quickly & effectively, using good tactics and shooting skills, as well as developing the mindset necessary for effectively functioning under high stress (mental & physical) conditions.

It's a handgun ...
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 02-13-2013 at 12:57..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:00   #10
poikilotrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brboyer View Post
Not at all surprised.

Yep. I train for mag dumps.
poikilotrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:46   #11
vtducrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
That is nuts. Head shot wounds from large caliber rounds, and still keep charging. He was killed on the spot, right?
vtducrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 13:01   #12
GlockinNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerTGO View Post
That is not even funny.
GlockinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 17:19   #13
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Adrenalin is a powerful drug the body dumps into the bloodstream in "fight or flight" scenarios. Does wonders to help survival until the body can't compensate anymore.

Add recreational drugs to the mix and it's a chemistry experiment!

Keep shooting till they drop is wise advice. The majority of GSW patients I've treated had multiple wounds. Aim dead center in the chest, hit the heart, spine ideally, lungs too.
Old 02-14-2013, 18:45   #14
ithaca_deerslayer

When I double lung deer, they don't stop for 50 to 100 yards later.

Gee, Cuomo, maybe we need to be legally allowed to have more than 7 bullets to stop a bad guy.

Old 02-14-2013, 18:46   #15
spcwes

I have heard some horrible stories including a fella that was shot dozens of times with handguns, once in the neck with a 12g slug and once through the face with 12g slug and stayed on his feet. One of the officers was reported saying "when he turned to face me I could see daylight through his head."
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-
spcwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 19:01   #16
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcwes View Post
I have heard some horrible stories including a fella that was shot dozens of times with handguns, once in the neck with a 12g slug and once through the face with 12g slug and stayed on his feet. One of the officers was reported saying "when he turned to face me I could see daylight through his head."

This just screams "More rounds available"......Too bad no politicians is listening.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 19:03   #17
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtducrider View Post
That is nuts. Head shot wounds from large caliber rounds, and still keep charging. He was killed on the spot, right?
I assume the headshots came last - his skull was mostly crushed. He charged and the officers started backing and shooting - they hit him 8 of 10 shots - and the diagrams showed that by the time hit the ground he had passed where they started shooting. I was their defense attorney when the family sued - I have a complete copy of the investigation, with the hundreds of pictures, statements, diagrams, etc.

Last edited by Bren; 02-15-2013 at 07:35..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 19:26   #18
coachrowsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by brboyer View Post
Not at all surprised.

A BIG +1. This one shot thing is for the movies. Doesn't happen like that (for the most part) in real life. Center mass & shoot till the threat is done.
coachrowsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:42   #19
RYT 2BER

These stories are nothing.

I saw a case where an attacker was shot 37 times and it didn't stop him.

He was however shot with 9mm so i guess it's understandable.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:50   #20
ballfroguy

000 buck next time, or some federal HTS.
ballfroguy is offline   Reply With Quote