SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-12-2013, 20:33   #81
garya1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgunguygt View Post
no sense in putting too much effort into commenting on this post. The logic and time would be wasted.
You already commented but it was just a smart arse remark.
garya1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 20:40   #82
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya1961 View Post
You already commented but it was just a smart arse remark.
Thats about all a dumb ass statement deserves.
Old 02-12-2013, 20:44   #83
garya1961

Quote:
Thats about all a dumb ass statement deserves.
'Explain or shut up.
Ok after reading some of your old post I see you are a 1911 guy. I said to start with I am not a 1911 guy. I don't have anything against them just never owned but one. I wasn't claiming to be an expert on 1911s , I was just asking why basically.
I see that we do have a lot in common though. I am a dog person and I was a Chevy mechanic for the last five years but unemployed right now.
If I'm so wrong please educate me because that's why I'm here, to learn more about guns.

Last edited by garya1961; 02-12-2013 at 21:50..
Old 02-12-2013, 22:24   #84
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
'Explain or shut up.
Ok after reading some of your old post I see you are a 1911 guy. I said to start with I am not a 1911 guy. I don't have anything against them just never owned but one. I wasn't claiming to be an expert on 1911s , I was just asking why basically.
I see that we do have a lot in common though. I am a dog person and I was a Chevy mechanic for the last five years but unemployed right now.
If I'm so wrong please educate me because that's why I'm here, to learn more about guns.
I'm not a 1911 guy, actually. I am a gun guy. I like 1911s, but i own more polymer handguns than I do 1911s.

As to why someone would put money into a RIA and say a taurus isnt worth it? Because there is a lot more to the quality of a 1911 than the type of manufacting involved in he slide and frame. There are many top notch guns with cast frames. There is so much more at play than that its not even funny. Feed ramp angle, machining quality, barrel quality, throating, etc. Look up VIS for example. The fact that the frame is forged in a miniscule item when compared to the things that make a 1911 junk or not.

Thats not why I commented about your post though. It was the thought that:

Quote:
I believe a lot of these failures are owner induced such as limp wristing with Kel Tecs, and failure to clean and or reassemble correctly as in the Remington 597
Thats an asinine statement made out of owner pride. I own guns that are known to have had problems. While mine dont exhibit it I will surely not by insisting that people are ignorant and dont know how to hold the firearm or dont know how to clean it because it SIMPLY CANNOT BE THE GUN, because I own one of them and mine is fine. Thats plain silly.
Old 02-12-2013, 23:26   #85
Gills63

There is nothing wrong with threads like this. Its not meant to be gun review thread. Most people with a brain realize that lemons get shipped by every factory. Quality errors happen, it doesn't mean that make or model is necessarily crap it just means that particular gun was. When it becomes a wide spread problem then start looking at design, materials, and manufacturing process.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Gills63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 23:37   #86
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gills63 View Post
There is nothing wrong with threads like this. Its not meant to be gun review thread. Most people with a brain realize that lemons get shipped by every factory. Quality errors happen, it doesn't mean that make or model is necessarily crap it just means that particular gun was. When it becomes a wide spread problem then start looking at design, materials, and manufacturing process.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Except for the people that cant handle that thier chosen brand could ever put out a lemon.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:58   #87
gordo993

Diamondback DB380.
x2

The first one was a basket case. Went back to the factory 3 times and still a jam-o-matic. Dumped it off at a guns show.

The second one was much later in the production run - after they had re-designed many key components. It went back once and then ran fine, but no confidence.

Sold it and bought a Sig 238. Love it!
gordo993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:00   #88
pat701

You should expect/get a NIB firearm that runs right, no matter what brand it is.
pat701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:01   #89
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

Ruger standard model .22 auto handgun I bought in college. Couldn't get it to shoot an entire magazine of .22 rounds, no matter what brand. Finally sold it.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:58   #90
garya1961

Quote:
I'm not a 1911 guy, actually. I am a gun guy. I like 1911s, but i own more polymer handguns than I do 1911s.

As to why someone would put money into a RIA and say a taurus isnt worth it? Because there is a lot more to the quality of a 1911 than the type of manufacting involved in he slide and frame. There are many top notch guns with cast frames. There is so much more at play than that its not even funny. Feed ramp angle, machining quality, barrel quality, throating, etc. Look up VIS for example. The fact that the frame is forged in a miniscule item when compared to the things that make a 1911 junk or not.

Thats not why I commented about your post though. It was the thought that:

Thats an asinine statement made out of owner pride. I own guns that are known to have had problems. While mine dont exhibit it I will surely not by insisting that people are ignorant and dont know how to hold the firearm or dont know how to clean it because it SIMPLY CANNOT BE THE GUN, because I own one of them and mine is fine. Thats plain silly.
If you read what I wrote I said I believe "a lot of the problems" were caused by the owners not "all the problems" were caused by the owners. I never said it "CANNOT BE THE GUN" It is a fact that a lot of people have a tendency to limpwrist when shooting a small light weight gun even people who have been shooting for years. I have done it a few times myself when I first got a PF9.
Also a lot of people buy guns they know nothing about and decide to upgrade them or do a $.25 trigger job and behold the gun doesn't work, so it must be a piece of junk. The Remington 597 is a good example of this, people take them apart without knowing what they are doing and over tighten the rails when re-assembling it. It will not run if you tighten the rails too tight.

Quote-. There are many top notch guns with cast frames.

I have nothing against cast parts but a lot of these top notch guns have problems too but they "just need breaking in"
I know it doesn't fit this tread but people on here love to bash guns they never owned. They read it on the internet so it must be true
Usually when a gun bashing tread starts half the guns in my safe are mentioned but the ones I have seem to work fine. My PT1911, Kel Tecs, Ruger Mini 30, Mosins, Remington 597,WASR 10, and even my early model Universal M1 carbine have all worked great.
I have had a lot of guns in my life and seldon found a real lemon. Yes, some had a problem that needed fixing but so does everything else in life.
If you are an auto mechanic then you know things slip through sometimes that doesn't mean the rest of the cars are junk or even the car with the problem is junk.

Last edited by garya1961; 02-13-2013 at 13:57..
Old 02-13-2013, 14:17   #91
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
If you read what I wrote I said I believe "a lot of the problems" were caused by the owners not "all the problems" were caused by the owners. I never said it "CANNOT BE THE GUN" It is a fact that a lot of people have a tendency to limpwrist when shooting a small light weight gun even people who have been shooting for years. I have done it a few times myself when I first got a PF9.
Also a lot of people buy guns they know nothing about and decide to upgrade them or do a $.25 trigger job and behold the gun doesn't work, so it must be a piece of junk. The Remington 597 is a good example of this, people take them apart without knowing what they are doing and over tighten the rails when re-assembling it. It will not run if you tighten the rails too tight.

Quote-. There are many top notch guns with cast frames.

I have nothing against cast parts but a lot of these top notch guns have problems too but they "just need breaking in"
I know it doesn't fit this tread but people on here love to bash guns they never owned. They read it on the internet so it must be true
Usually when a gun bashing tread starts half the guns in my safe are mentioned but the ones I have seem to work fine. My PT1911, Kel Tecs, Ruger Mini 30, Mosins, Remington 597,WASR 10, and even my early model Universal M1 carbine have all worked great.
I have had a lot of guns in my life and seldon found a real lemon. Yes, some had a problem that needed fixing but so does everything else in life.
If you are an auto mechanic then you know things slip through sometimes that doesn't mean the rest of the cars are junk or even the car with the problem is junk.
About the only time I see someone say that "all the guns" of a particular make are junk is with taurus. It also seems that you have brought up your pt1911 a few times now.

of course all manufacturers make a lemon, thats the purpose in this thread, DUH! The fact that most taurus owners cant accept the fact that they make WAY more lemons than anyone else is comical. It seems the more you post about this the more that direction this is going.

Its pretty plain that your feelings are hurt over it. They shouldnt be. I know one guy that has a PT1911 that has seen some serious abuse an an IDPA gun. He beats the hell out of it and it runs like a champ. Thats one guy. I know at least three other people(including myself would make four) that had the worst experience in the world with a pt1911 and would never contemplate owning another one. Absolute junk.
Old 02-13-2013, 16:04   #92
Old School

1. Browning abolt .22. It wouldn't feed rounds from the magazine with any consistency. Traded for a cz452, a real bolt action .22

2. Marlin 1897 .22. Action was rough, difficult to cycle. I sent it back to the factory and they polished a few parts. Problem persisted. I sent it to a recommended cowboy action smith and he said the lever mortise was not in the right spot. I still have that and I'm debating what to do next.

3. Rem 11-87. I bought it as i thought it was an improved 1100. I was wrong. Fail to feed every 5-10 rounds. Traded for a Benelli, a real semi auto shotgun

4. Ruger mini 14. If you blatantly rip off the Garand, it should be accurate after 1 mag...and you should have designed it to use AR mags. Still have the old boat anchor (thanks Walter Ga, where ever you are).
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 16:23   #93
garya1961

Quote "About the only time I see someone say that "all the guns" of a particular make are junk is with taurus."
Another I read it on the internet stories.
I base my my reviews on real life expierence not what I read on the net. It's always the problem gun that shows up on here not the 999 other guns that were flawless.
I'm not a big fan of the 1911 but my PT1911 has been a great gun.
Quote" Its pretty plain that your feelings are hurt over it"
I have enough "real" problems in my life so the crap on here doesn't bother me. It's just a way to amuse myself.
Old 02-13-2013, 16:38   #94
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Quote "About the only time I see someone say that "all the guns" of a particular make are junk is with taurus."
Another I read it on the internet stories.
I base my my reviews on real life expierence not what I read on the net. It's always the problem gun that shows up on here not the 999 other guns that were flawless.
I'm not a big fan of the 1911 but my PT1911 has been a great gun.
Quote" Its pretty plain that your feelings are hurt over it"
I have enough "real" problems in my life so the crap on here doesn't bother me. It's just a way to amuse myself.
So I guess that means that my experiences are "read it on the internet" and arent "real life expierence" like yours? There you go, right back to your "it cant be true because I dont want it to be" thought process.

I have owned four taurus firearms, and after the fourth one felt like a real dumb ass for being taken four times by the same company.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:58   #95
johnstein11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo993 View Post
Diamondback DB380.
x2

The first one was a basket case. Went back to the factory 3 times and still a jam-o-matic. Dumped it off at a guns show.

The second one was much later in the production run - after they had re-designed many key components. It went back once and then ran fine, but no confidence.

Sold it and bought a Sig 238. Love it!
Diamondback DB9, what a POS. Trigger broke after 1 mag, and it jammed every other round with quality factory ammo!
johnstein11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:36   #96
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

Member of my club had a S&W Mdl. 41 that wouldn't run reliably.

He found it doubly frustrating 'cuz I also had one that never missed a beat.

General Firearms Forum

We tried his with my (known working) magazines ... no go.
We eyeballed it against mine ... couldn't find anything.

It made three trips back to S&W ... no go ...

Apparently some individual examples of a reliable design are just lemons...

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile

Last edited by aircarver; 02-14-2013 at 10:39..
aircarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:30   #97
garya1961

Quote- So I guess that means that my experiences are "read it on the internet" and arent "real life expierence" like yours?
Quote- About the only time I see someone say that "all the guns" of a particular make are junk is with taurus.
Old 02-14-2013, 13:58   #98
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Quote- So I guess that means that my experiences are "read it on the internet" and arent "real life expierence" like yours?
Quote- About the only time I see someone say that "all the guns" of a particular make are junk is with taurus.
What does that men? People say that because they do make a lot of junk. My FOUR were proof of that. We need that internet butt hurt form for you.
Old 02-14-2013, 14:01   #99
mr00jimbo

When I first got my Buckmark it was quite unreliable. Lots of light strikes and one round that got stuck in the chamber and had to be dislodged. Still get the occasional light strikes.
My Ruger 10/22 sets off all the rounds I have ever put through it and is insanely reliable (though it is modified, few factory parts remaining), and I share ammo through both guns, so...

In the Buckmark's defense, the gun is so accurate it's just ridiculous.

Last edited by mr00jimbo; 02-14-2013 at 14:01..
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 15:25   #100
raydobbs

Send a message via ICQ to raydobbs Send a message via Yahoo to raydobbs
My nightmare gun was a DPMS/Panther Arms AR15. Using the supplied CA approved 3 round magazine, it worked. Using any other magazines, it would manage about three rounds before it 1> Failed to feed a new cartridge 2> Failed to extract/eject the spent brass 3> Short cycle causing the cartridge to get jammed in the action, bending the cartridge horribly or 4>Some combination of all the above. I tried polishing the feed ramps, changing the magazines (even borrowed a M16 mag from a Class III guy at the range who had never seen an AR15 fsck up so bad, same effect). Range owner tried it - he couldn't get it to work even WITH the CA 3 round mag, only hand feeding the rounds into the breach one at a time without a mag present worked. Eventually sound it at an inner city gun store with an inherited Ruger revolver for cash to make a house payment. Am very glad to see that rifle go... though the capital loss was painful.
raydobbs is offline   Reply With Quote