GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 12:26   #51
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?
 
TBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NRA Life Member
Posts: 43,579
Blog Entries: 1


Feinstein and Boxer Ask Californians to Lay Down Their Weapons During Statewide Manhunt

(PP)- As an ex-Los Angeles police officer killed three people and went on a deadly shooting rampage in a vendetta to punish those he attributed for his firing, California Senators Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer pleaded for calm, and asked both law enforcement and civilians to lay down their weapons.


http://www.palookavillepost.com/2013...ewide-manhunt/
__________________
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”


Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:56   #52
Bren
NRA Life Member
 
Bren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 33,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Feinstein and Boxer Ask Californians to Lay Down Their Weapons During Statewide Manhunt

(PP)- As an ex-Los Angeles police officer killed three people and went on a deadly shooting rampage in a vendetta to punish those he attributed for his firing, California Senators Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer pleaded for calm, and asked both law enforcement and civilians to lay down their weapons.


http://www.palookavillepost.com/2013...ewide-manhunt/
I thought it was serious for about 30 seconds. My head almost exploded.
__________________
Open carry activists are to gun rights what the Westboro Baptist Church is to free speech.

Last edited by Bren; 02-12-2013 at 12:58..
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 13:04   #53
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA
 
RWBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 27,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
asked both law enforcement and civilians to lay down their weapons.
Wow, she wants law enforcement to lay down their guns.

I am not sure what to say about this. Is she really this dumb?
__________________
One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
RWBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 13:11   #54
ditto1958
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: West Monroe, Louisiana
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneegrl View Post
If they are using the drone to locate him - what's the problem? Seems like a good use of resources to me.
Well, a good test of things like this is to ask yourself "how would I feel in this situation if I were wrongly suspected/accused of a crime?"

Would you want the government hunting you down with drones? Surveillance satellites? Traffic cameras on traffic signals? GPS tracking of your vehicle?
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 13:15   #55
ditto1958
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: West Monroe, Louisiana
Posts: 827
This situation is an excellent example of how the current administration in Washington, and their followers all the way down to local government like to handle situations like this.

The potential use of drones against American citizens has been in the news lately and has been causing a lot of well-deserved outrage.

What to do about it? Take a situation such as Dorner, whom almost everyone agrees is a really, really bad guy, and suggest that we use drones to find (and kill?) him. Oh, people say. What a great idea.

Obama administration: "never let a good crisis go to waste."


The precedent is then set, and it won't be all that long before drones are flying around all over the place watching everything we do.
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 13:17   #56
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,611
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
Well, a good test of things like this is to ask yourself "how would I feel in this situation if I were wrongly suspected/accused of a crime?"

Would you want the government hunting you down with drones? Surveillance satellites? Traffic cameras on traffic signals? GPS tracking of your vehicle?
Would they need to be hunting for you? Wouldn't you have already gone in an straightened it out?
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 13:19   #57
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,611
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I thought it was serious for about 30 seconds. My head almost exploded.
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 14:14   #58
UtahIrishman
BLR
 
UtahIrishman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Utah
Posts: 6,046


Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
This situation is an excellent example of how the current administration in Washington, and their followers all the way down to local government like to handle situations like this.

The potential use of drones against American citizens has been in the news lately and has been causing a lot of well-deserved outrage.

What to do about it? Take a situation such as Dorner, whom almost everyone agrees is a really, really bad guy, and suggest that we use drones to find (and kill?) him. Oh, people say. What a great idea.

Obama administration: "never let a good crisis go to waste."


The precedent is then set, and it won't be all that long before drones are flying around all over the place watching everything we do.
agreed
__________________
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 14:44   #59
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,611
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
This situation is an excellent example of how the current administration in Washington, and their followers all the way down to local government like to handle situations like this.

The potential use of drones against American citizens has been in the news lately and has been causing a lot of well-deserved outrage.

What to do about it? Take a situation such as Dorner, whom almost everyone agrees is a really, really bad guy, and suggest that we use drones to find (and kill?) him. Oh, people say. What a great idea.

Obama administration: "never let a good crisis go to waste."


The precedent is then set, and it won't be all that long before drones are flying around all over the place watching everything we do.
BAN all drones. They, like ATM machines are taking jobs away from good people, in this case, pilots and observers and mechanics and air traffic controllers and...wait, no, they are still in the equation...

ditto1958, you add, "(and kill)", where has anyone involved with the search for Dorner said that armed drones are up looking for Dorner.

Where in any of the documents related to using drones for tactical weapons does it even imply that they can be used within the borders of the USA?

I know, I know, the fear is about use, rather misuse in the future. But you imply there are armed drones seeking out this guy in LA. Where in the actual documents do you read of that possibility today?
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 14:57   #60
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?
 
TBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NRA Life Member
Posts: 43,579
Blog Entries: 1


Shootout in progress at Big bear.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2
__________________
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”


Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 15:18   #61
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,611
Blog Entries: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post
Shootout in progress at Big bear.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2
No drones involved...
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 17:08   #62
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?
 
TBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NRA Life Member
Posts: 43,579
Blog Entries: 1


Prayers for the fallen Officer, the critical Officer, and families.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2
__________________
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”


Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 17:41   #63
RussP
Moderator
 
RussP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 42,611
Blog Entries: 64
Cancel the drones...
__________________
Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 17:44   #64
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
Sam Spade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 20,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Cancel the drones...
Not just yet...
__________________
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 17:58   #65
JohnH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,632
Breaking news: Police believe they've located Dorner. Some one inside the cabin is screaming "DON'T DRONE ME BRO......DON'T DRONE ME......
JohnH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 18:02   #66
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,142


Latest looks like he's a crispy critter now.

I hope this is over.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 18:04   #67
BenjiEDF
Senior Member
 
BenjiEDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
You making things up is what we call a "straw man" argument. There was no information about using missiles and no change to the law that would apply to using them in downtown LA. You are inventing a fantasy world to argue in, that has nothing to do with the reality. If the police use drones, they can only use them in the same way they'd fire a rifle from a helicopter. If he's in downtown LA, currently law wouldn't allow the use of bombs and missiles that could hit others and if he's out in the desert, current law already allwos the police to kill him with a missile or anything else they have. Use of force law says when the police can use deadly force - it doesn't say what they can use to kill you.
Bren, the LA PD called Predators to search for 3 armed men that stole 6 cattle a few months ago: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec...rrest-20111211
You don't think the LA PD would send a Predator (unarmed) to look for a domestic terrorist (Dorner)?
Seems like a logical assumption to me, thus why I said I have no problem with sending a Predator to look for him as long as it's unarmed. A Predator carries one type of munition, hellfire missiles.

If there is another type of drone (there are many) that YOU are assuming will be used, then please post a pic or a link of one with a sniper rifle on it and we can talk about that. At the moment there is no strawman argument because quite frankly you and I aren't even discussing the same subject... You might be trying to draw me into some type of argument with you, well I'm just not interested honestly. You asked me to clarify my comment, and I did.
__________________
"There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it." ~Ron Paul

"Life is good" ~Hickok45

Last edited by BenjiEDF; 02-12-2013 at 18:12..
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 18:09   #68
BenjiEDF
Senior Member
 
BenjiEDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Latest looks like he's a crispy critter now.

I hope this is over.
I hope this is over too, a dirt nap for Dorner be a happy ending to this fiasco.
__________________
"There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it." ~Ron Paul

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 18:11   #69
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,142


Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiEDF View Post
Bren, the LA PD called Predators to search for 3 armed men that stole 6 cattle a few months ago: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec...rrest-20111211
You don't think the LA PD would send a Predator (unarmed) to look for a domestic terrorist (Dorner)?
Seems like a logical assumption to me, thus why I said I have no problem with sending a Predator to look for him as long as it's unarmed. A Predator carries one type of munition, hellfire missiles.

If there is another type of drone (there are many) that YOU are assuming will be used, then please post a pic or a link of one with a sniper rifle on it and we can talk about that. At the moment there is no strawman argument because I clarified my comment when you asked me too. Quite frankly you and I aren't even discussing the same subject...
The predators can carry a few munitions, more are on the way.

Armament

2 hardpoints

2 × AGM-114 Hellfire (MQ-1B)
4 × AIM-92 Stinger (MQ-1B)
6 × Griffin air-to-surface missiles


It's still just a weapon system, a pilot fires the weapons. I'd still not like to see explosives used within the borders of the USA. With the possible exception of drug smugglers on the border.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 02-12-2013 at 18:15..
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 18:14   #70
JohnH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Latest looks like he's a crispy critter now.
.

Waco game plan?
JohnH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 18:36   #71
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,142


Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
.

Waco game plan?
He had his chances. No innocents inside. Sympathy level is very low.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 19:03   #72
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Latest looks like he's a crispy critter now.

I hope this is over.
Janet come out of retirement?
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 19:07   #73
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)
 
Cavalry Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 41,142


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon View Post
Janet come out of retirement?
So, who are you picking as the bad guy here?
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 19:21   #74
JohnH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,632
Breaking news: Chris Dorner has been buried at sea.
JohnH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 19:30   #75
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
So, who are you picking as the bad guy here?
Dorner of course. I thought maybe they had Janet come in and TCB. Fiery endings are her hallmark after all.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 15:26.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,279
385 Members
894 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42