Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:56   #61
cliffb

What comes to mind is:

-AMT Hardballer. Bought it in the late 70s. It never did run right.

-Early S&W M25 in .45 Colt. Would not stabilize any bullet I tried to put through it. Keyholed targets every time.

-PTR 91. Jam-o-matic. Never did get a full mag to run through it.

There may be more but these were the real stinkers.
cliffb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 21:20   #62
Bugler

Owned many handguns over the years. Only one I ever had problems with was a Kimber Pro Carry II I bought brand new. Right out of the box it would fail to go into battery every few rounds. I shoot a lot and knew it wasn't me. Finally convinced the gunsmith at the store I bought it at to try it. They have a nice automated range that I have a membership to. He had same problem. Found some sloppy craftsmanship inside and had to do some deburring. Problem solved but even after 500-600 rounds still had frequent FTF about every 20 shots or so. Others shooting it had same problem. Gave up and traded in on a New Glock 21sf and couldn't be happier. More accurate, 100 percent reliable, holds 13+1 round, easier to clean, shoots anything I feed it and I much prefer the lower bore axis. Already well over 1000 rounds through it with 0 hiccups... Just like my 19 and 26
Bugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 14:08   #63
phoenixg23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nib-XG26 View Post
I bought a Stevens model 320 shotgun and its a POS, I shot 30 rounds through it it jammed about 25. It jammed on the eject cycle and inject cycle. Stevens/Savage will be getting it back. But it got me thinking how often does a lemon get bought? I have owned close to 100 guns in my life and been very fortunate this is my first real lemon (besides a .22lr on occasion).

So anyone have any stories? I would love to hear them!
I have the Stevens/Savage Model 320 with the combination pistol gip full stock set-up. So far it has been a decent firearm for the money expended. The only complaint I have would be it came with the brass bead at the tip for the sight, the ghost ring sight models were out of stock. I worked around that by using glow nail polish and white out on the top of the stock (the whole stirp where the plastic has ridges) then treated the brass bead. A quick hit with the flashlight and it looks like something from Battle Star Galactica.
I use this weapon for home-defense only. Have put regular 00 buck, slugs and also run magnum rounds, no issue (over 400 rounds).
Sorry to read your Model 320 was a lemon my friend.
phoenixg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 14:18   #64
jakebrake
cracker

colt 1991 a1. pure paperweight.

this thing was so wildly inaccurate, that NO ONE could hit with it. me, friends, random strangers at the range, no one. only thing we could could come up with was it was built on a fri afternoon, or mon morning.

i so mistrusted this toad, that i sold it rather than waste any more time or money on it.
Old 02-10-2013, 14:49   #65
FelixD

I've owned a lot of guns over the last 50 years, shot a lot of guns, and have broken a lot of gun. But, the worst beyond a doubt is the Kel Tec PF9. Bought it 5 years ago and it started taking a dive at about 350 rds. Here's the list, 2 cracked slides, 2 broken assembly pins, broken slide stop and broken slide stop spring, 5 replaced magazine springs - twice. Failures to fire, feed, and eject too frequently to count. I am now on my third replacement gun. I have asked for my money back three times now and the company just keeps sending me guns. I don't know who has spent more on this, Kel Tec or me? BTW, if you shoot a lot, keep a list of the things that break. I started 30 years ago. It gets interesting over the years.
FelixD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 15:54   #66
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldor View Post
That is totally grip related. Hold onto the grip firmly and it won't dump brass on top of your head. I found this out when I was trying to make my G26 jam from limp wristing (I was concerned about weak hand shooting reliability). No jams, but I was really glad I was wearing a hat.
Its interesting, you didnt shoot his gun, never even held it in your hand, werent there when he shot it, yet you know for a fact its a grip issue? I guess all the gen4s with that problem are grip issue too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
A jammed shell casing lodged in the barrel. This thing would put jammed, misshapen shell casings anywhere inside the chamber/receiver, etc. When the shell casing didn't pop out, I told him to put the gun down immediately.
How exactly does that equate to "almost blew up?" You cant "almost blow up." You do or you dont. Thats like saying you "almost have cancer."
Old 02-11-2013, 03:55   #67
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Surplus Sig P6. 50 rounds in, it fires out of battery, almost loses the back of a case, and makes me thankful I always wear shooting glasses.

Sig treated it as if under warranty though, and replaced the breech block. Works flawless after that, so I guess it doesn't really count as a lemon.

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 20:25   #68
AZson

I bought a Taurus PT140 and what a pile of poop it was. The second time I used it to compete it promptly blew it's firing pin cover off and the FP spring was just hanging out.
It cost me $25 to send it back to them and it took me a month to get it back.
I sent a note requesting why it did what it did and all I got back was letter stating "clean it and use factory ammo", which I was using Winchester white box when it blew. I sold it and bought my first Glock, there was no way I would trust my life with it.
I sold it to a brother who said it did id again a few years later.
I will never buy another Turaus auto pistol, them and their service is crap.
Old 02-11-2013, 21:15   #69
p01ic3m4n

I bought a gen 2 G19 around 1997. I was going to run 200 rounds through it before I carried it as a duty gun. It wouldn't feed a full magazine without jamming on 50% of them. I took a little bit of a loss and traded it for a Beretta. Didn't they have some sort of recall on those for magazine issues? Never had a gun that was as bad as that one.
p01ic3m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 21:25   #70
Nib-XG26

Update I was the op. I have my second pos the new Zip .22lr it will not run more then 3 rounds without jamming. With 25 round Ruger mags it jams 100% of the time I have never actully despised a firearm until now. I was actually bleeding from cycling the gun so many times to clear jams. Im sending it back to USFA hopefully they can fix it. If not I will have a cool paper weight.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:17   #71
blackbmw

The list........

1. Smith 5906. Most inaccurate firearm I have EVER shot. No clue what was wrong.

2. Ruger LCP. Cracked the frame. Guess I shot it too much.

3. That stupid PF9. 27rds and the firing pin fell out. How special.

Thats my list of crapness. I was so upset about that 5906 cause it was such a pretty gun and I couldnt hit a 74 buick deuce and a quarter at 30 feet with it.....so I sold it to my cousin. He cant shoot anyways so he wont know the difference
blackbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:20   #72
pgg00

Taurus 709 slim. The mag won't stay in. All it takes is a bump against the gun and of it comes.

Colt 6920. Machine marks inside and outside of it. Chamber was a mess also it was a single shot for the 1st 500 rounds or so. Fire a round. Put a rod in the barrel to knock the case out then load another round and repeat. Colt told me then that there was nothing wrong with it and it was normal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

WiskyT :whistling:
There's nothing like the fact that you can take educated professionals with everything on the line and add a little booze and they act like juniors in HS.
pgg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:55   #73
J.R. Bob Dobbs
Nerd

Kimber eclipse x2
Taurus 44mag

Last edited by J.R. Bob Dobbs; 02-12-2013 at 07:57.. Reason: Dang autocomplete. Kimberly isn't a gun.
J.R. Bob Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:44   #74
plp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldor View Post
At least is saved you a gym membership.

I bought an AMT backup 380 for my wife about 20 years ago. Never got as far as the trigger pull, she couldn't pull the slide back. Small blowback pistols are not fun guns to shoot especially for anyone who doesn't have significant grip strength.
Just sold an AMT Backup .380 this weekend for a profit of 3 dollars over what I originally paid for it two months ago.

It took a LOT of polishing to get the slide chatter to stop, but then ran like a dream as long as you a) use only round nose FMJ and b) keep your ring finger off the magazine butt. It would nosedive the next round every time if you touched the butt.

I really got to like it, and probably put 400 rounds through it at the range. It does have a bit of a kick to it compared to my Colt Government Model Mark IV, and the wife couldn't shoot it at all.

The Colt just does everything better, and the wife can handle it just fine. I got another Ruger 89 rather than another .380, ammo is just getting too expensive and hard to find to justify another in that caliber.
plp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:54   #75
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

S&W original 39.

Had the usual beautiful S&W fit and finish.

Ran reliably.

Threw a pattern like a shotgun (even from a rest)

Lost badly in a shoot-off against a 'chief's' snubby.

Was gone the next week ....

Friend told me they at first tried to save money by rifling the barrels with revolver tooling and it resulted in bad barrels. Was corrected in subsequent guns, but that one was a beautiful lemon !

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 13:04   #76
Batesmotel

I had a Grendel .380. The one that loaded from the top. (P-10 I think)The hammer spring broke on the third magazine. Sent it back at my cost. They fixed it for "free" but gouged me about $30.00 in "handling" fees to send it back.

While they had it they replaced the extractor and/or ejector to the new upgraded one. It failed to extract or eject on every shot after that. The dealer I bought it from had an in-house smith who fixed it but I never trusted it.

The other was a Taurus 92 that was chewing it's self apart. If you looked at it from the top, the slide was rotating counter clockwise and shaving the frame away. Their customer service told me that's what I get for buying a cheep copy instead of an original Beretta 92.

Last edited by Batesmotel; 02-12-2013 at 13:08..
Batesmotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 13:30   #77
Booker

1. AR7 Went full-auto after the first two shots!

2. S&W M&P9c Was my first single shot semi-auto. Factory fixed it, but didn't trust it!

3. Charter Arms Bulldog. The internals must be stamped out of Coke Cans. You could rotate the cylinder by hand when in full lock-up.

4. Taurus 44 Special. Factory bored 3 cylinders for 44, not sure about the other two, but a 44 wouldn't fit!
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 17:55   #78
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA#5 View Post
A Remington 597 (22 rifle). After the first 10 rounds were OK, it started failing to feed and eject. Then, rounds would get stuck halfway down the magazine. Then, it got kinda fun when it started full-auto - 4 rounds with one trigger pull & the RO got a little pissed.

A buddy also bought one at the same time. His wouldn't fire a 10-rd. mag without malfunctioning.

After two factory "fixes" with nothing fixed, we both made Remington give us full refunds.
I bought one of the first LSS on the market back when they came out. Total piece of crap. My Dad bought the cheapest version they made around the same time I got my rifle and his has been nothing but reliable.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 18:40   #79
garya1961

I hate these gun bashing treads. I have a lot of these guns and they work fine. I believe a lot of these failures are owner induced such as limp wristing with Kel Tecs, and failure to clean and or reassemble correctly as in the Remington 597. I know the 597 had mag problem when they first came out but Remington fixed the problem and would send you a free mag if yours didn't work. Also if you tighten the rods/rails too tight in a 597 it won't run you have to leave them a little loose.
I'm not a 1911 guy but another thing that gets to me is people will buy a relatively cheap Rock Island 1911(I have nothing against Rock Island) then spend more money on upgrades than they paid for the gun to start with but swear it was a good gun. Then if someone buys a Taurus 1911 with forged frame and slide and all the upgrades already installed and one simple part breaks they swear it is a total piece of crap. I know parts shouldn't break and none has on mine but wouldn't it be better to upgrade a gun with a forged frame and slide. It seems to me high end 1911s have a lot of problems too.
garya1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 19:44   #80
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya1961 View Post
I hate these gun bashing treads. I have a lot of these guns and they work fine. I believe a lot of these failures are owner induced such as limp wristing with Kel Tecs, and failure to clean and or reassemble correctly as in the Remington 597. I know the 597 had mag problem when they first came out but Remington fixed the problem and would send you a free mag if yours didn't work. Also if you tighten the rods/rails too tight in a 597 it won't run you have to leave them a little loose.
I'm not a 1911 guy but another thing that gets to me is people will buy a relatively cheap Rock Island 1911(I have nothing against Rock Island) then spend more money on upgrades than they paid for the gun to start with but swear it was a good gun. Then if someone buys a Taurus 1911 with forged frame and slide and all the upgrades already installed and one simple part breaks they swear it is a total piece of crap. I know parts shouldn't break and none has on mine but wouldn't it be better to upgrade a gun with a forged frame and slide. It seems to me high end 1911s have a lot of problems too.
no sense in putting too much effort into commenting on this post. The logic and time would be wasted.