SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:14   #241
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieH View Post
Changed the outcome of WW2?? I didn't know the spirit of John Browning did covert design work for the Manhattan Project. I'm always amazed at the things you read on the internet.

General Firearms Forum
That might have been a stretch, but he did say "may have" changed the outcome, due to the great designs.

It surely didn't hurt, I'll say that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:21   #242
caraker0341

Obviously that is a picture from space of a Glock 20 being fired.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:30   #243
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Changed the outcome of WW2?? I didn't know the spirit of John Browning did covert design work for the Manhattan Project. I'm always amazed at the things you read on the internet.

General Firearms Forum
I'm surprised that you know so little about WW II that you post the mushroom cloud and think that supports what you said.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:05   #244
willieH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I'm surprised that you know so little about WW II that you post the mushroom cloud and think that supports what you said.
What I said was in response to 21Tango's simplistic notion that Browning designed weapons may have effected the outcome of WWII. My equally simplistic answer was to exemplify that other factors played a greater role and had profound consequence to shape the outcome of the war. Sorry not to include Allied battle strategies in Europe/North African campaign, the Soviet and Polish contributions and the Western Pacific naval victories and yes the atomic bomb.

But since you've judged my lack of knowledge, I would welcome your rendition of WWII history that supports 21Tango's notion that Browning designed weapons shaped the wars outcome.
willieH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:15   #245
countrygun

Quote:
What I said was in response to 21Tango's simplistic notion that Browning designed weapons may have effected the outcome of WWII. My equally simplistic answer was to exemplify that other factors played a greater role and had profound consequence to shape the outcome of the war. Sorry not to include Allied battle strategies in Europe/North African campaign, the Soviet and Polish contributions and the Western Pacific naval victories and yes the atomic bomb.

But since you've judged my lack of knowledge, I would welcome your rendition of WWII history that supports 21Tango's notion that Browning designed weapons shaped the wars outcome.
Well, you could start out with the fact that nearly every "gun" on every American aircraft, fighter, bomber, etc was a Browning design. As was the "Quad .50 anti-aircraft gun.

The BAR shaped squad tactics, and the use of the .30 Browning can't be overlooked at the infantry level.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:21   #246
Three-Five-Seven
SeŮor Mombo

Quote:

You really should read Stephen Ambrose's "Citizen Soldiers".
Old 02-12-2013, 11:26   #247
SC Tiger
Some say...

Here's the thing - the design that most people associate with Browning - the 1911 - may have been one of the least significant weapons he developed from a historical (ie "changing the results of a battle or war") perspective.

Think about how important the rest of them must have been then!

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 02-12-2013 at 14:45..
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 13:53   #248
Batesmotel

Quote:

General Firearms Forum
Herman Goring said if he had been able to equip his planes with the Browning 50 cal machine guns, they would have won the battle of Britain.

Last edited by Batesmotel; 02-12-2013 at 13:54..
Batesmotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 15:59   #249
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
On the 1911 ???

Use the mainspring housing pin.

BTW you do know, on the original, you are supposed to use the toe of a mag on the grip screws and the bent small tip on the leaf spring can be used as a screwdriver on the mag release assembly.
Yep. For the M1911 and M1911A1, you need nothing to break the gun down in detail other what's supplied with the gun.
Old 02-12-2013, 16:05   #250
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Yep. For the M1911 and M1911A1, you need nothing to break the gun down in detail other what's supplied with the gun.
well, opposable thumbs help, but i digress.
Old 02-12-2013, 16:25   #251
mongo356

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
On the 1911 ???

Use the mainspring housing pin.

BTW you do know, on the original, you are supposed to use the toe of a mag on the grip screws and the bent small tip on the leaf spring can be used as a screwdriver on the mag release assembly.
Thats nice- reminds me of another American company from a long time ago. Harley Davidson use to have an ad "An engine so simple you could overhaul it alongside the road"..........thatís good because many times you had too.

Strange my Glocks don't seem to need that 3/16" punch very often.
mongo356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 16:33   #252
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo356 View Post
Thats nice- reminds me of another American company from a long time ago. Harley Davidson use to have an ad "An engine so simple you could overhaul it alongside the road"..........thatís good because many times you had too.

Yeah, stick with your Glocks.

They're real simple for beginners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 02-12-2013, 16:39   #253
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

Q) Is Gaston Glock on the same level as John Browning?

A) No.
When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Fred Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 16:44   #254
countrygun

Quote:

The Browning was designed for service men who were capable of disassembling the gun to clean or repair it in the field.

The Glock was designed for those who weren't.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 17:03   #255
mongo356

Not that it will matter at this point but you do know that Glock made the fastest machine pistol on the PLANET right???
mongo356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 17:13   #256
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

You are correct. Doesn't matter.
When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Fred Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 18:04   #257
bac1023

Quote:
Not that it will matter at this point but you do know that Glock made the fastest machine pistol on the PLANET right???
Who cares? What use does it have?

BTW, Gaston himself didn't design squat in the firearms world.

Old 02-12-2013, 18:31   #258
Ruggles

Quote:

Thing is that if JMB's designs were any more successful in WWII there might just not be any designs by GG today

Regardless of what you think JMB's designs impact was on WWI or WWII the fact is his designs were knee deep in each war, and many since. What wars have any of GG's designs even been involved in to impact?

So.....battle tested firearm designs....point to JMB.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 18:33   #259
Ruggles

Quote:
The Beretta 93 is sooo much sweeter than a Glock 18

Faster means squat in a machine pistol IMO.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 19:28   #260
1911austin

Not even close.