Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-02-2011, 15:46   #21
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker View Post
Did I read this correctly? Are you stating that you got sued for beating two people bad enough to put them in hospital for speeding?
Sounds like he tried to do a speeding stop, it escalated into a failure to yield and a resisting arrest.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:37   #22
poikilotrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTrooper View Post
I wonder how long the deputy was behind him and he didn't realize it?
Rather broad on the protective sweep though.

Woo hoo! 20 posts! Now I can answer this stuff.

The dash cam video plainly shows that Deputy Sterling Cole was never behind me and never used his lights, siren, or PA system. The video is now included in Georgia POST curriculum as an example of how NOT to do a traffic stop.

The protective sweep was a canard that was repeatedly shown to be false in several court rooms.
poikilotrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:38   #23
poikilotrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_drebin View Post
Yeah, if you've got kids, like I do, then you know Mr Asher was probably quite aware of what was happening as he pulled in to his driveway.
And you would be wrong. The video contradicts your supposition.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:39   #24
poikilotrm

Quote:
I'm sure.
Still, the house sweep? I don't know how the reached that far on what info the article relayed.
It was a punitive act. My real crime was contempt of cop, so they decided to vadalize and rob my home, which they did. They stole about $7000 worth of stuff and trashed the place.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:43   #25
poikilotrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrys View Post
. The days of giving "Bubba" a gun and badge and telling them to get after it...... are long gone.
Not in rural Georgia. Not by a long shot.

Quote:
It's their job to supply their communities with quality trained and properly
educated officers. Rulings such as this are hard on a community, but at least it
shows them that they alone are responsible for the people they place in charge
of their own law enforcement.
Bull ****. The Sheriff hires his deputies, not the community.

Quote:
As to the few folks who apparently hate anyone being able to "tell them what to do" and evidently dislike any type of "authority", it's what the society and community you live in have chosen and it's what those people have paid the good and decent officers to do.......so live with it or find yourself a rock to live under, eh?
What about those of us who don't like mongoloid infused armed goon squads wandering around preying on people and getting away with rape, murder, and kidnapping? What would be your feasable and workable suggestion for us?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:46   #26
poikilotrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent6-3/8 View Post
Hmm...the article leaves me confused.

How long was Deputy Cole in pursuit of Asher?
About 2 minutes.

Quote:
Were his lights and sirens activated? Did the deputy call in a pursuit?
No and no.

Quote:
My biggest question; what did the "protective sweep" entail?
Armed breaking and entering, vandalization, and burglary. There were a raft of other crimes committed as well. My favorite being manufacturing an SBR.

Quote:
According to the article is sounds like Asher ignored the deputy's attempt to
initiate a traffic stop. Once home, Asher further ignored the deputy's commands
and entered his home. IMO, the deputy would have been right in pursing the man
into this home, detaining him and securing the scene. Apparently, the protective
sweep went beyond "plain view doctrine" and into the relm of a search

He didn't attempt to initiate a traffic stop.

Quote:
I'll admit I'm stretching here trying to find a reasonable explaination why things turned out the way they did. There jsut isn't enough info...
They had over 5 years to come up with a reasonable explaination for what they did and they couldn't.

I had retired LEOs working security at the Federal court house come up to me and my attorney and say that they had never been asahmed to be a cop before, but after what they had seen, they wanted to apologize on behalf of good cops.

Last edited by poikilotrm; 02-04-2013 at 12:48.. Reason: Adding a bit
Old 02-04-2013, 12:50   #27
poikilotrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrys View Post
Cause as we all know, when the person being charged with a crime or chased is speaking........he's the only one speaking the truth, no?
In this case that was shown to be true over and over and over.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:52   #28
poikilotrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Not much of an article - if they were arresting the guy, a protective sweep was legal, but it may have gone farther than the law allows. Here, that case would have been an arrest and a protective sweep of the immeidate area around him would be perfectly legal under federal/constitutional law.
Nope. Not anymore. Time for you to do some reading up.

Quote:
Coincidentally, I have made exactly the same arrest...of my police chief's 2 nephews...who refused to stop and tried to go in their house after I tried t stop one of them for speeding. I also got sued in federal court, but they both lost blood and had hospital visits and I won the lawsuit. I got sued for beating them, not for the search.
Delightful.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:55   #29
poikilotrm

Quote:
Sounds like he tried to do a speeding stop, it escalated into a failure to yield and a resisting arrest.
Sounds to me like Cole didn't do a speeding stop, and escalated what should have been a mundane thing into a Federal case.

I told him to arrest me over and over.

Cole has a history of pulling his weapon on children. The youngest I know of was a 7 year old girl. He failed a pscyh exam about 2 years ago, so they pulled him from the road, then a year later they put him back out again. He also murdered an old woman on her porch for "failing to obey my lawful commands" in 2008.

The dude's a ****ing winner any way you slice it.
Old 02-09-2013, 18:35   #30
JW1178

Good to hear. The sad part is that the taxpayer will ultimately have to pay for some dumb cops mistake. What should happen is the Leo's involved should have to pay, or every cop in the department.
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 18:21   #31
frank_drebin
1-man flash mob

Quote:
Originally Posted by poikilotrm View Post
And you would be wrong. The video contradicts your supposition.
My apologies but I fat fingered that response. What was meant was that you were probably quite unaware due to the kids acting crazy in the car. Withe movies, music, playing etc... It gets crazy in a car load of kids.
frank_drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 18:45   #32
poikilotrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_drebin View Post
My apologies but I fat fingered that response. What was meant was that you were probably quite unaware due to the kids acting crazy in the car. Withe movies, music, playing etc... It gets crazy in a car load of kids.
Nope. Just me in the truck. The guy was never behind me. There wasn't anything to not be aware of.

Don't forget, this guy was pulled from the road for failing a psych eveal after assaulting a guy for no rerason in the guy's house. He ain't all there.