SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-10-2013, 19:42   #201
Bob Hafler

Very interesting but stupid

#!

Last edited by Bob Hafler; 02-10-2013 at 19:44..
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 21:48   #202
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisk21 View Post
I wouldn't say a joke. He designed one of the most popular, most copied pistols ever. "Glock" has become lamens term for handgun. There is Glock and everything else that is compared to it.
He had help with the design for starters.

I totally disagree with the last sentence.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by bac1023; 02-10-2013 at 21:50..
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 21:51   #203
WarEagle32

GG shouldn't be in the same sentence with JMB. He took some prominent Austrian military brass' ideas, and made them into a great pistol. JMB is the greatest gun designer that has ever, or will ever live. There will never be another JMB because he was the right man, during the right time. Gaston did a great job with others' ideas, but JMB he will never even come close to. I do wish that Gaston in his life would have made many more types of Glock firearms. Like nearly every other manufacturer has done. He just made a great pistol. I wish he would have made at least more versatile pistols, carbines, and rifles to say the least. I think when he finally kicks the bucket if he doesn't live to be 120 like he claims he will, when someone else buys the company they will make a lot more types of guns under the Glock name. I wished Gaston would have especially put his mind more than anything on some type of Glock 5.56 military type carbine. A 1911 Glock would also be very sweet and along with a Glock carbine very lucrative, and perhaps a a carbine that is a game changer. I know he makes 250k a day, but just for himself, my goodness, how awesome would a 5.56 Glock carbine be. Us Glock lovers can only dream of that have ever happening, because that is as close as we will ever get!!

Last edited by WarEagle32; 02-10-2013 at 22:09..
WarEagle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 23:12   #204
caraker0341

Honestly, when was the last time you saw a 1911 that was aesthetically on par with a glock?
Old 02-10-2013, 23:19   #205
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraker0341 View Post
Honestly, when was the last time you saw a 1911 that was aesthetically on par with a glock?
You can type good with your tongue in your cheek.

countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 23:21   #206
caraker0341

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
You can type good with your tongue in your cheek.

Thanks It's a gift.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:13   #207
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraker0341 View Post

Yeah, all jokes aside, this thread has been entertaining.

Sorry to anyone I may have offended.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:27   #208
SC Tiger
Some say...

As others have said, no.

Glock makes a good firearm but it is not nearly as revolutionary as Browning's work. Even the 1911 by itself was more revolutionary than the Glock, and I don't worship at the church of 1911 like some do. I like the design and plan to purchase one in the future (sold a previous one because it would never run right).

Glock gets credit for the Glock handgun - it is a good combat weapon and he built the company that designed it, as well as marketed it and made it a success. But Browning's accomplishments far outweight Glock's.

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 02-11-2013 at 07:31..
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:53   #209
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
As others have said, no.

Glock makes a good firearm but it is not nearly as revolutionary as Browning's work. Even the 1911 by itself was more revolutionary than the Glock, and I don't worship at the church of 1911 like some do. I like the design and plan to purchase one in the future (sold a previous one because it would never run right).

Glock gets credit for the Glock handgun - it is a good combat weapon and he built the company that designed it, as well as marketed it and made it a success. But Browning's accomplishments far outweight Glock's.
I give Glock all the credit in the world for being a great business man.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:26   #210
brisk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post

I did mention that he had help in my other post. What I meant about the compairson is that every time a new gun is put on the market, it is compared to a Glock. How good a gun is, ususally is measured by how it compares to a Glock.
brisk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:46   #211
SpringerTGO

Quote:
I did mention that he had help in my other post. What I meant about the compairson is that every time a new gun is put on the market, it is compared to a Glock. How good a gun is, ususally is measured by how it compares to a Glock.
I like my Glock, but when I buy a new handgun I don't compare it to the Glock. I think the only thing my 26 has going for it is outstanding reliability. Trigger, thickness, and accuracy aren't anything special.
There are plenty of reliable and accurate handguns on the market today.
SpringerTGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:06   #212
SC Tiger
Some say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawScholar View Post
Bill died over a decade ago and Ruger sells like 5 types of ARs now.

It's probably okay to let the dead be dead now.
IMO Ruger did what he did to try to stave off a complete ban. Smith bought in as well.

You have to remember - Ruger and Smith and Wesson are both businesses and one piece of legislation could completely shut them down. Thinking of it from that point of view will change your perspective.

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:27   #213
SC Tiger
Some say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post

In fairness, so did JMB. In fact, one of his assistants finished the High-Power.

I don't know that Browning and Glock should even be compared though. One was a weapons designer, and the other is the owner of a weapon manufacturing company.

"Browning" branded weapons are made by FN.

Quote:
Old 02-11-2013, 11:16   #214
bac1023

Quote:
I would agree that new polymer service pistols are certainly compared to Glock.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:36   #215
MajorD

they are not even in the same league! JMB started from scratch with few autoloading designs in existence at his time with no CAD CAM or any thing nothing but a brain and a pencil and some paper. He developed esigns 100 plus years ago that are still running today.
All glock did was get a bunch of engineers together who borrowed the best features of a number of designs and created the glock. the glock uses browning locking design- glock borrowed it,browning designed it from the ground up figuring out through trial and error how much delay in unlocking ,amount of locking surface etc. was needed.
gaston glock is a savy businessman,marketer and that is it. As far as the gun design he was nothing more than a project manager coordinator.
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:01   #216
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
In fairness, so did JMB. In fact, one of his assistants finished the High-Power.

Well, the HP was finished long after he died.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:15   #217
tbc

Quote:
How good a gun is, ususally is measured by how it compares to a Glock.
I do compare new guns to my Glock and also to my HKs, Sigs, M&Ps, FNS, and so on.

The reason some people compare new guns to Glock because that's all they have.

Sent from iPhone
tbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 13:26   #218
tuica

The question may very well be: "What did John Browning not invent?" Yes, an oversimplification, but in the world of firearms - not too far off. Cheers.
Old 02-11-2013, 13:45   #219
Bob Hafler

[QUOTE=brisk21;19974778How good a gun is, ususally is measured by how it compares to a Glock.[/QUOTE]

Maybe in the poly pistol world it was in the past, not sure you can make that statement today, and make it stick with more than a few people. Some people believe the XD is out Glocking the Glock. I can't say I disagree either, being that Springfield is actually listening to there customers.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 14:46   #220
caraker0341

It is a proven fact that glocks create more hydrostatic shock and causes bad guys to fly back farther than the 1911 due to the polymer absorbing less energy from the round. Ask Ron Burgundy.