Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-10-2013, 15:52   #101
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

That stank hole New Jersey seems like it's winning.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 15:53   #102
TheGrimReaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maggy View Post
Kansas. I don't think that there is more than a 5 foot change of elevation across the entire state.
Kansas has nothing to offer me! Very depressing state.
TheGrimReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 15:57   #103
TheGrimReaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear62 View Post
IL would top my list... and that's mostly because of Chicago. Chicago would be an armpit city even if it had good gun laws.
Agree lived there for 1 year of my life. Wish I could get that wasted time back! Good food though.
TheGrimReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 17:16   #104
Kozel

Talked to my wife little while ago on Skype. She is in New Orleans area now. She said that if she had to live there she would rather immigrate back to Ukraine.
Kozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 17:39   #105
nursetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQof1 View Post
does Puerto Rico count? filthy and full of people that dont care about anything as long as they look "good", are severly LAZY and have no manners or common goodwill. rotten fruit in the grocery stores, meat rotting on the shelves. weevils in your rice and cereal. these were constants of living in PR. that place sucks to high heaven. the best thing about PR was when i left that cess pool.

wyoming, just weird. my wife (Korean) and i drove thru there once. we stopped at a gas station around 11pm. there was a flannel shirt, old dirty baseball hat wearing cretin there. she went in to buy a coke. 5 minutes later she came out, that guy had multiplied into 5 cretins, all of them staring at her. freaked her out big time! i told it was because they had prolly never seen one of them "Godzirra People" in person....i got slapped.

new jersey, like dog crap, i cant wait to wipe this place off my shoe....
My wife is Thai and pronounces it this way.
Old 02-10-2013, 18:04   #106
Slug71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozel View Post
Talked to my wife little while ago on Skype. She is in New Orleans area now. She said that if she had to live there she would rather immigrate back to Ukraine.
Weird. I have a friend in NH that LOVES New Orleans.
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Slug71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 18:21   #107
klt1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy View Post
New Jersey. I swear the only part of the state not built on a toxic waste site is the Pine Barrens. And if the prettiest part of the state is called the Pine Barrens, well, that says it all.

Texas is a close second. I moved there in '81, and will never forget how I was treated. I came out of my apartment a week after I got there and found all 4 tires slashed and a cinder block through the windshield, with Yankee Go Home spray painted on the side. The Lubbock cop who was called to the scene actually told me that as a Yankee I shouldn't be surprised, and if I were smart I probably shoud go back north. As soon as I opened my mouth, I got hassled in bars, gas stations, diners and supermarkets. It didn't matter where I went, some jerk would tell me all about how yankees weren't welcome. After my 2nd or 3rd asskicking I figured it was time to go, and will never go back. It was, without a doubt, the worst 3 months of my life.
I lived in Lubbock from 1987-1991 and loved it there. As a country boy, I really enjoyed the "big city" of Lubbock with all there was to do and the women were awesome, IMO. I missed my hunting and fishing and the flat land was boring but I had a good time there.

For me, NYC and New Jersey are depressing places.
Big Dawg #6874
Sub Club #2980
klt1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 18:41   #108
clancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by klt1986 View Post
I lived in Lubbock from 1987-1991 and loved it there. As a country boy, I really enjoyed the "big city" of Lubbock with all there was to do and the women were awesome, IMO. I missed my hunting and fishing and the flat land was boring but I had a good time there.

For me, NYC and New Jersey are depressing places.
It seemed as if almost every time I spoke with some one when I was there went something like this:

"Can I have breakfast special # 2?" "Where you from, boy?"

"How do I get to...?" "Where you from, boy?"

"Thanks, have a nice day" "Where you from, boy?"

I can remember walking into a bar one afternoon after work, and I asked for a bottle of beer. I got to hear,"I smell yankee", "where you from, boy" and "why don't you do yourself a favor and get your yankee ass out of here".

Yes, the girls were hot, but the one I dated put up with so much crap for going out with a yankee from her friends and family she dropped me after a few weeks.

As I said before, I will never go back.
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 18:51   #109
97XJ_Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Machinist View Post
Texas. I wouldn't say it was awful, but I don't know how anyone who wasn't born and raised there could willingly move there and call it home. It's the land of dirt, and unrelenting heat. Two weeks ago, when I was in Austin, it was 80, overcast, and nasty. I turned down a pretty good job, because I couldn't leave Oregon for Texas.

However, when it comes to roads, Texas is incredible. I've been living in the stone age all my life. Texas is serious when it comes to accommodating motor vehicles, and facilitating vital commerce throughout the state.
You think 80* is hot?
97XJ_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 19:05   #110
Gray_Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzoso View Post
I hate NJ. I have lived in rural PA all my life and can't stand NJ. Fortunately most of my family has emigrated to other states or died off so I don't have to go there often now.

Crazy high taxes, lots of annoying suburbanite soccer moms, cops that look like they got their uniforms from the SS and have a matching attitude.....
Never been to NJ but I do remember the old TV show
"Top Cops". They would do re-creations of hero cops and their hair raising adventures. I remember one NJ cop.
You are right about the uniforms. The guy looked and acted like Gestapo. EXACTLY like the evil black uniformed German secret police in the movies. Gave me the creeps just watching that segment. Same unblinking stare. Same chilling clipped monotone.

But, sadly, some groups of people can't function w/o a hobnailed boot firmly planted on their neck.

Gray_Rider
Old 02-10-2013, 19:27   #111
ESAFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
That stank hole New Jersey seems like it's winning.
hands down there running away with it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97XJ_Sport View Post
You think 80* is hot?
yeah i made that mistake once to go to houston to visit family over memorial day holiday-I'LL NEVER MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN!!
we walked out of the airport to get the rental car @ 10pm & i about ***** my pants when the auto door opened & we walked into the oven....
and that was the beginning of a 10 day trip
we were in vegas this past may & it was 105* everyday & that felt better than 2000% humidity & 90* @ 10pm in texas.
we really did have a great time while we were in texas, the 10 days there we flew into houston (family) & made a big square from corpus to san antonio to austin then dallas.
the funny part we were cruiseing down these 2 lane highways & when we were coming up on other vehicles in front of us, they would just merge over to the shoulder & slow down abit to let you pass them.
my wife could'nt get over that because everybody up here drives like total dip*****s, when we get snow all hell breaks loose...
KAHR CM9, CW45, M&P 22 & S&W 500 8 3/8
H&R 12GA & Remington 597 .22
ESAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 19:28   #112
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

D.C.

It's full of politicians.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 19:32   #113
Hauptmann6

Send a message via AIM to Hauptmann6 Send a message via MSN to Hauptmann6 Send a message via Yahoo to Hauptmann6
Quote:
Originally Posted by itstime View Post
Michigan is great except for their cities.
Yup. Anything above 60k or so blows. Other than that it's a great place. We have everything but real mountains.
The only things that last forever
Are memories and sorrow
Hauptmann6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 19:39   #114
oldgraywolf
NRA, SAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauptmann6 View Post
Yup. Anything above 60k or so blows. Other than that it's a great place. We have everything but real mountains.
I would have said anything over 15K blows, but almost everything north of US 10 is pretty decent. The Porkies aren't _real_ mountains, but they're doggone nice.

I got a kick out of the clown from Ohio dissing MI--all summer long the most common out of state plates are OH. I doubt many MI people vacation in OH.

definatally
rediculas
theirs'

Last edited by oldgraywolf; 02-10-2013 at 19:39..
oldgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 19:46   #115
Hauptmann6

Send a message via AIM to Hauptmann6 Send a message via MSN to Hauptmann6 Send a message via Yahoo to Hauptmann6
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgraywolf View Post
I would have said anything over 15K blows, but almost everything north of US 10 is pretty decent. The Porkies aren't _real_ mountains, but they're doggone nice.

I got a kick out of the clown from Ohio dissing MI--all summer long the most common out of state plates are OH. I doubt many MI people vacation in OH.
I said over 60 cause Midland, Alpena, Gaylord, AA, TC are all pretty nice.

And Ohio sucks. I've driven north to south and east to west. It's more expensive to live in than MI and sucks worse. Their are only 2 good things in Ohio. Great Lakes brewing and the USAF museum.
The only things that last forever
Are memories and sorrow
Hauptmann6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 21:06   #116
Z71bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanster View Post
Haven't yet found a state that doesn't have some nice bits. Even a small state like RI is a reasonably big chunk of real estate.

That said, I will say that if Oklahoma has a nice part, I didn't come across it when I drove through.
I live in Houston. We travel a lot by SUV - seems like we always have to go through Oklahoma on our way to wherever.

From my house to Oklahoma is about a 5 hour drive.

Texas has horrible rest stops - I always stop at the first rest stop across the TX - OK border and take a dump.

It has become a family tradition.
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 21:14   #117
The Machinist
No Compromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97XJ_Sport View Post
You think 80* is hot?
In January? Yes.
Old 02-10-2013, 22:20   #118
IQof1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff733 View Post
Pretty much every northern state. I don't care if I ever go north of Kentucky ever again.
He'll, my limit is I-10! Hahaha
IQof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 22:23   #119
IQof1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozel View Post
What's she doing down there? Mardi Gras?
IQof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 23:01   #120
glock1911revolver
Vice-Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk69stang View Post
California would be great if it wasn't for Californians.
+1

If we are not including people in our judgement, California is my favorite state I have worked in. People included, it is at the bottom of the list.
glock1911revolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 23:46   #121
unit1069

I made it almost through page 4 before Vart mentioned Iowa. I've traveled through Iowa many times and failed to find anything of interest, although the people seem to be nice.

I've traveled less through Illinois but suspect it's worse than Iowa, and from what I saw in Ohio I'd add that state to the list. Indiana might have made the list except I did once travel through the southern part of the state and went through a very nice, hilly area that reminded me of where I live.

The Plains States can be a chore if you're on a timetable to get somewhere but if you are at leisure the stark scenery and isolation has a beauty of its own. I remember many nights driving when I charted my course just by looking at the lights of the towns distant. Once driving through Kansas during late springtime on I-70 I had to pull over on the shoulder to relieve myself. It was close to sunset, driving West. I walked to the back of the car and the setting sun bathed the surrounding grasslands with a wondrous glow, and I think I could see 100 miles to the East with the highway oh-so-gradually sloping downward. It was an experience I've remembered since.
Old 02-11-2013, 00:26   #122
Kozel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQof1 View Post
What's she doing down there? Mardi Gras?
To visit her cousin.

She will be home before the Mardi Gras.
Kozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:28   #123
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G29Reload View Post
I don't think this is true. I'm from NJ and don't miss it, except for the far NW corner of the state which is rural Sussex county.

No really, it is. It is also the most densely populated state in the union, at about 1180 idiots /sq mile.

Last edited by Gallium; 02-11-2013 at 05:28..
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:13   #124
HauntedAlabama

A married couple I know moved to California years ago and invited me to visit. It was a huge culture shock to say the least. Too many people, too much pollution, horrible traffic, etc. There was some pretty parts I got to see but it isn't anywhere I would live. I like Chicago for the museums and food but that's it. My mom is from central Illinois and I don't particularly care for the state. Driving from Chicago to Lincoln is boring.
HauntedAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:00   #125
moonwilson

The whole megacity extending up from Richmond all the way to Boston could be wiped from the face of the earth, and humanity would be better off.
moonwilson is offline   Reply With Quote