SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-10-2013, 13:29   #181
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraker0341 View Post
Yes. Glock intoduced a new thought process to the mainstream and made it work out of the box....unlike many 1911's.
How unbelievably stupid is this post? What are you trying to imply with "yes"? Are you saying Gaston is at the same level? Are you talking a Glock versus 1911 or GG versus JMB?

Since you turned it into a 1911 versus Glock debate, I'll try to make a real simple point so that you may be able to understand it...

Glocks are built by one company. 1911s are built by dozens of companies, each with different levels of quality and quality control. Glock can barely get it right sometimes even being the sole builder.

Too many posters in this thread are either too ignorant or just too stupid to know that the question is ridiculous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 13:34   #182
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post

Glocks are built by one company. 1911s are built by dozens of companies, each with different levels of quality and quality control. Glock can barely get it right sometimes even being the sole builder.
you owe me a keyboard
Old 02-10-2013, 13:53   #183
Batesmotel

Just proof you should stay clear of those who worship at the high alter of the cult of St. Glock.
Old 02-10-2013, 13:53   #184
brisk21

Gaston has made one gun design. He had help from the guy who designed Steyr pistols. He also used Brownings tilting barrel design. Browning designed dozens and dozens of excellent pistols, rifles, and shotguns by himself. That pretty much says it all.
brisk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 14:01   #185
Glock_Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisk21 View Post
Gaston has made one gun design. He had help from the guy who designed Steyr pistols. He also used Brownings tilting barrel design. Browning designed dozens and dozens of excellent pistols, rifles, and shotguns by himself. That pretty much says it all.
This. Glock so far is a one trick pony. It is an excellent trick, but doesn't hold a candle to Browning's prolific genius.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
Glock_Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 14:05   #186
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by G26S239 View Post
Wyoming I may be wrong but I believe it was John C. Garand who never charged the US Govt for the use of his patents.
He didn't. He was an employee at Springfield Armory.

I do remember reading a news paper article that the US Government paid him $100,000 for the M1. If I remember this was when I still lived in Ohio so pre 1980. I can't remember all the details but I think he sued and this was his settlement.

Maybe some other GTer can update us
Old 02-10-2013, 14:11   #187
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post
Which is the brilliance of Glocks...now , I am Glock neutral...have them but they don't excite me. i carry them but don't necessarily enjoy them.

Fire one Glock and you have fired them all. You move from model to model with very little effort. The single stack Glock makes sense ONLY if the slide is slimmed down, and I don't see that happening. Glocks are not concealment pistols, they are duty sidearm pistols.

You could say the same thing about High-Point, but at least they manage to make a carbine
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 15:00   #188
joecoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
You could say the same thing about High-Point, but at least they manage to make a carbine
Old 02-10-2013, 15:08   #189
hoghunter82
FL Glocker #182

A lot of emotion around the topic it seems. I'd be willing to bet that if we all stated our ages that there would be more under 30 folks praising GG than JB. Not saying everyone by rule, but for those who grew up on striker fired safe action pistols there tends to be no relation to history. Just like when I'm playing my 80s music and my kids look at me like I'm from another planet. They don't appreciate or recognize the music I grew up on. Just as when my parents played that Elvis or 50s crap that i don't appreciate (sorry Elvis fans, Kentucky Rain is the only Elvis song i wont immediately turn off). So to many in the firearms world a hammer fired operating system seems antiquated. I know I felt that way until I discovered HK and CZ.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by hoghunter82; 02-10-2013 at 15:13..
hoghunter82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 15:24   #190
TxGun

Gaston Glock is obviously a very smart businessman. Brilliant may not be too strong a word. But he really didn't design anything completely new. He improved, with help, on some previous ideas and marketed those improvements with absolutely amazing success.

But John Browning was, without question, a brilliant firearms designer, head and shoulders above even the other great ones...Colt, Wesson, Garand, Williams, Savage, Thompson, etc., etc. ...most of whom had one or two enduring designs. Browning had so many it's not easy to catalog them all. Gaston Glock is not in the same league as the rest of these men as a designer. He may be a better businessman than most of them, or even all of them. But he's not even in the same conversation as a designer/inventor.

Last edited by TxGun; 02-10-2013 at 15:25..
TxGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 16:25   #191
dosei

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticshooter View Post
Hey guys. I'm an enthusiast of both pistols but thought I would ask the same question here as I did on the 1911 Forum.

Is Gaston Glock on the same level as John Browning? I understand John Browning's accomplishmets with his designs but I also understand Gaston Glocks with his. Browning's designs have been around for over 100 years but it looks like Gaston's designs may be the design of the future if it already isn't.. I'm not partial to either design because I own and enjoy them both. I'm just wondering if you think Gaston and Browning are on the same level and why?
The is only ONE feature of the Glock that was a new design innovation at the time...ONE. (Do you even know what it is/was?) Everything else of the design was nothing more than taking other proven design innovations (from firearms designers like JMB).

No, Gaston Glock is not and never ever will be even remotely close to the same level as John Browning.
"Know where the attack against you is likely to come, whether on the street or in court, and have a proven counter already in place" (Mas Ayoob)
dosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 16:40   #192
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosei View Post
The is only ONE feature of the Glock that was a new design innovation at the time...ONE. (Do you even know what it is/was?) Everything else of the design was nothing more than taking other proven design innovations (from firearms designers like JMB).

No, Gaston Glock is not and never ever will be even remotely close to the same level as John Browning.
If you are referring to the safety on the trigger (brake pedal on the accelerator) I would swear that somewhere in the distant past I saw a much older antiquated design that had that feature, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 16:59   #193
caraker0341

Man I love these threads. One little statement and off we go

JMB is as good as GG.
Old 02-10-2013, 17:14   #194
bac1023

Quote:

JMB is as good as GG.
GG is a joke in comparison. When you grow up, you'll figure that out.

Maybe...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 17:19   #195
jakebrake
cracker

ok, John Moses Browning made a product that didn't exist. he had no pattern to work off of. he, hiram maxim, mikhail kalashnikov, eugene stoner, etc. they made a radically different product that turned the firearms world on it's ear.

Granted, John Moses made a lot more of them

Gaston Glock really didn't do anything all that radical. He went off of existing designs and products. he marketed well. that's about it.

Last edited by jakebrake; 02-10-2013 at 17:20..
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 17:29   #196
RyanBDawg

Quote:

Maybe...
I think he made that statement to elicit a response just like that.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Glock 26 w/CTC Lasergrips, and Trijicon Sights = Daily Carry
RyanBDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 19:04   #197
Waboom!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticshooter View Post
Hey guys. I'm an enthusiast of both pistols but thought I would ask the same question here as I did on the 1911 Forum.

Is Gaston Glock on the same level as John Browning?
not in the slightest.
Waboom!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 19:25   #198
brisk21

Quote:

Maybe...

I wouldn't say a joke. He designed one of the most popular, most copied pistols ever. "Glock" has become lamens term for handgun. There is Glock and everything else that is compared to it.
brisk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 19:31   #199
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisk21 View Post
most copied pistols ever.

ummmm.....i'd love to see evidence proving this statement

"Glock" has become lamens term for handgun. There is Glock and everything else that is compared to it.

again, kindly prove this statement.
i added what's in italics.

Last edited by jakebrake; 02-10-2013 at 19:33..
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 19:38   #200
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post

Quote:

JMB is as good as GG.
I agree. Probably not epic but definitely good entertainment.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote