Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:33   #1
Victoriagotagun

External Hard Drives

I have been thinking about getting one but I don't even know where to start. What are the pros and cons of getting an external hard drive vs saving files/pictures to cds/USB drives?

Also, what are the top brands and who has the best prices for them?

Thanks,
Victoria

"Glocks are for criminals" -Nick_45
Victoriagotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:16   #2
Ralff

An external hard drive is usually USB, so basically it's just a really big USB drive.

Pros of an external hard drive are the capacity.

Cons are they're physically larger so some of them just won't fit in your pocket like a thumb drive. The only other con I can think of is that most of the larger external hard drives require an external power source.
Ralff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:21   #3
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
You may want to consider buying a prebuilt NAS unit. Buffalo sells some units that are really nice for consumers or small businesses.

Basically they are like an external hard drive except they connect to your router via ethernet and every PC on your network can access them. Very handy.
Old 01-25-2013, 13:36   #4
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Well, if you just want to store some files, a NAS might be a bit overkill. If you want to stream media, etc.. a NAS is the way to go.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 15:18   #5
srhoades

And they are just as prone to failure as any other hard drive, since they are just an internal hard drive in a case. So if you are storing important information on it you need to backup it up as well.
Old 01-25-2013, 15:58   #6
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Something else to consider, depending on your space requirements is something like Mega.co.nz, Dropbox, Google drive, or Amazon cloud. Off site storage is much safer in the event of a disaster and more reliable as they (whoever 'they' may be) have real servers and a professional IT staff.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 23:59   #7
Pierre!
NRA Life Member

I like these devices:

Backup Storage – Inexpensive, Expandable, Portable, and Flexible!

I have 3 now - and quite a few hard drives to use for backups.

Hope that helps ya out!

Patrick
Pierre! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:30   #8
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhoades View Post
And they are just as prone to failure as any other hard drive, since they are just an internal hard drive in a case. So if you are storing important information on it you need to backup it up as well.
This is very true.. having some sort of redundancy in your backup plan is critical.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 14:34   #9
TexanRon
Come 'n Take It

Like anything else, depends on what you want it for. I have a Western Digital USB drive that I use to primarily backup my pictures and financial data. Like other people said, they can, and will, eventually fail. They can also be stolen or burned up when your house catches fire. I also keep a small drive, about 300GB, in my safety deposit box. I bring it home once a quarter and backup everything then back to the bank it goes. It's all the pictures that I do not want to lose. These things are dirt cheap and, if you stick with something like WD, or name brand stuff, they are fairly reliable.
Old 01-26-2013, 15:00   #10
John_NJ

I have a WD 500GB external drive. I generally use it for an extra back up. My main drive's are 2 WD 1TB in RAID 1 array.

I guess the need for an external drive will be determined by how much you need to store. You can get 64GB USB drives for 30 bucks these days and that may be enough.

Don’t respond to the stupidity of a fool; you’ll only look foolish yourself. Proverbs 26:4
John_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:07   #11
Merlin40
Merlin40

I have a Seagate Backup Plus. It's 1TB, and gives me all the room I need. I can set it for backup on the fly, or incremental backups. (weekly, monthly) it is about as large as a Samsung Galaxy III phone. It works for me.
Merlin40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:04   #12
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

I have a Seagate 500gb. I use external drives for backup. The Seagate and my current laptop have USB 3.0 ports which are much faster. Flawless. I'd suggest looking to the fastest port on your 'puter and match a drive interface to it. If you have a desktop, you can add a USB 3 card. I hear there's a much faster standard coming soon (isn't there always?).
Old 02-02-2013, 10:49   #13
sappy13

I keep most of my files(except financials) backed up mainly via dropbox and my google storage. I also periodically back it up to an external. I would bite the bullet and get an external drive instead of a internal. That way you can always take your data with you if needed. Depending on your router, you could also hook your external up via usb to the router and use it as a nas.
sappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:27   #14
pipedreams

If your computer is new enough to have USB3 you might look at those if you buy a USB external drive. The USB3 is considerably faster than the older USB drives. I have a Seagate 1TB drive that is very compact and can easily travel with a laptop.
http://www.seagate.com/external-hard...andard/goflex/

Whatever you get you need more than one backup to be safe.

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.
pipedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 14:21   #15
Victoriagotagun

Thanks for the opinions. Looks like I have a few options to look into.

On the off site storage....how safe would the date be?

"Glocks are for criminals" -Nick_45
Victoriagotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 18:41   #16
MikeG22
CLM Number 11
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to MikeG22
I have a usb drive I do local backups onto and then have online backup with idrive.com to backup the data there as well. So files stay on the normal computer and I have redundant backups. Everything is encrypted before uploading to the online backup so it's secure. If you get a 2.5" external drive those generally do not need additional power but the 3.5" ones do, so depending on how much storage you need it's something to think about. Also, if you do have and use a usb 3.0 one, make sure you get a long cable if you use wireless to get internet on the computer. It can put out interference that can lead to slow wireless and drops if it sits to close to the computer antenna (a few feet is good).
MikeG22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:04   #17
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Redundancy, and off-site especially, is important.

USB flash drives are convenient, but not good for long-term storage. They will lose the data after about 10 years in theory, if left alone.

Also, CDs/DVDs are not as stable as they were originally thought to be.

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:05   #18
Texas357
CLM Number 224
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoriagotagun View Post
Thanks for the opinions. Looks like I have a few options to look into.

On the off site storage....how safe would the date be?
How safe is your parents' gun safe? How safe is a safe deposit box at your bank? All depends on where you put it.

"I nominate you for President of Texas!" - Dr. Octagon
"I accept your nomination, and thank you for your vote."- Texas357
Texas357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:25   #19
bill4282

I have two, a maxtor which is desktop model and a passport external. My maxtor is set to automatically backup. I only hook up the passport when traveling and take it with me so I have my files with me and redundant protection from theft and fire.
bill4282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:40   #20
duncan
Lifetime Membership

Western Digital Passport USB HD $80 for 500G

http://www.staples.com/Western-Digit...:WDBKXH5000ABK

Have a pair - one for cloning of OS and one for backup

Can fit in your back pocket.

Also have a Passport 1T for the family backup