Old 02-08-2013, 12:28   #1
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Man arrested after taking gun out at Sanford day care center

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/...nford-d/nWJPg/
---------------------

We need to ensure our friends & family who carry know their laws, follow those laws, and get refreshed on those laws.

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:45   #2
ScottieG59

I agree that people need to be informed and receive refresher training yo deal with all the complications of carrying a firearm.

I am sure many inexperienced gun owners have made innocent mistakes.

Taking a weapon out to show it off is one of the things one does not do anywhere. It only invites problems and, in some cases, legal problems.

Additionally, a dumb lack of judgement is not the same as a deliberate criminal act. Our prosecutors should be able to differentiate between criminal intentions and a mistake.

I do not know what this incident details will turn out to be, and there is not enough said. Still, it does not seem the gun owner had criminal intent or the desire to harm others.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 18:44   #3
Laslo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBO View Post

---------------------

We need to ensure our friends & family who carry know their laws, follow those laws, and get refreshed on those laws.

I couldn't agree more that friends and family need to know the laws. That being said how many of us remember a couple guys in our CPL classes that were more than likely to run into an issue with LE and give the rest of us a bad name.

Laws can state that you have no criminal\felony record however the laws say nothing about having common sense or a quiz on no carry zones.
Laslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 22:53   #4
mortpes

It is not a good idea to expose your gun, play with your gun, talk about your gun, etc. in public.
mortpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 23:27   #5
CanMan

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
Albert Einstein
S&W Club #43
CanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:35   #6
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

In the immortal words of the genius Forest Gump "mama always said that stupid is as stupid does."
Old 02-09-2013, 07:11   #7
Green Dragoon

too many newbies carrying these days...with little to no training.....or, common sense.

Back in the day, we used to have a name for people that felt a need to show everyone their weapon. It was called John Wayne syndrome.

At gun stores, I think the majority of people put their fingers right on the trigger when they are handed a weapon.

This is why I don't go to gun shows anymore.
Green Dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:11   #8
RichardB
Silver Membership

His Concealed Carry training and the handouts provided told him this was a No-No.

“Food for thought is no substitute for the real thing”
RichardB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 20:25   #9
Jim S.

It reminds me of why I believe every American citizen should go through the military before they go out into the world.
And my radical viewpoint is that if everyone went into the Marine Corps at age eighteen it would be a better world all around - oohrah!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 23:19   #10
pizza_pablo
USN Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S. View Post
It reminds me of why I believe every American citizen should go through the military before they go out into the world.
And my radical viewpoint is that if everyone went into the Marine Corps at age eighteen it would be a better world all around - oohrah!!!
I'll go long with that. It just may help them make a better decision when voting, too.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:38   #11
eagle15

Quote:

---------------------

What a freaking idiot, but I have to say there are thousands just like this guy walking around carrying in this country.
eagle15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:41   #12
eagle15

Quote:

---------------------

maybe they will rescind his CWP before he makes headlines again. Seems like Sanford had another case that stays in the news.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:52   #13
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S. View Post
If everybody did, or could, go into the Marine Corps, the Marine Corps wouldn't be what it is - it might better the person, but it would destroy the military. Only a minority of Americans can qualify to serve in the military, even if they want to, and some say the standards still need to be higher.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:26   #14
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Ok, the legalities of side... Did that dudes mugshot set off anyone else's "creep meter" ?

Sure did mine.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:47   #15
eagle15

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Ok, the legalities of side... Did that dudes mugshot set off anyone else's "creep meter" ?

Sure did mine.

IGF
Yes, I have a digital creep meter and it pegged out to max with a loud beeping tone which I have never heard before
Old 02-10-2013, 09:05   #16
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
It is not a good idea to expose your gun, play with your gun, talk about your gun, etc. in public.
In Public
Expose your gun: Not a problem in my state.

Play with your gun: Very bad idea. Could easily lead to a charge of brandishing.

Talk about your gun: Nothing wrong here. People do it all the time where I live.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:39   #17
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post
Additionally, a dumb lack of judgement is not the same as a deliberate criminal act. Our prosecutors should be able to differentiate between criminal intentions and a mistake.
Here in gun-friendly AZ, that would be a reckless display of a firearm. Here's the definition of criminal negligence from the Model Penal Code:

"A person acts negligently with respect to a material element of an offense when he should be aware of a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the material element exists or will result from his conduct. The risk must be of such a nature and degree that the actor's failure to perceive it, considering the nature and purpose of his conduct and the circumstances known to him, involves a gross deviation from the standard of care that a reasonable person would observe in the actor's situation."

There's a similar definition for criminal recklessness. So, yes, there actually is such a thing as "criminal stupidity".
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 13:18   #18
SCmasterblaster

What an ignorant idiot!