Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:28   #1
jdh31313

Walther PPK

I recently acquired a Walther PPK (Interarms) and know nothing about the pistol. I am thinking about using this gun for deep concealment or as a B.U.G. Does anyone have any thoughts on this pistol, positive or negative?
jdh31313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 14:38   #2
Hugo R
Gaff G26 User!

The Walther PPK is a great gun, I own one (Interarms .380) and carried it for many years as a BUG or when I needed a non-cop looking gun. There are a couple of issues, one is that the blow back design causes a considerable amount of recoil and with its design an bit of hammer bite. Also the mags hold only 6 rounds, which is ok but, since its made of steel it ends up weighing a lot more than it should. And the initial double action trigger pull is very heavy.

With todays light weight .380's such as the Khar's and Ruger LCP you get the same capacity in a much smaller package. And althought the recoil is still there, due to the design of the gun, you don't get the hammer bite. I do understand that the newer models built in the U.S. have a longer grip tang which protects one from hammer bite but I don't have one of those and cannot comment.

Again, I love the PPK but there are a lot of other guns out there in the same caliber that have attibutes you should look into, especially since you mentioned "deep concealment" as one of your reasons for getting one.

Good luck!

HR
Old 02-07-2013, 14:38   #3
maxpower220

I had one, liked it, and miss it now. Between the fixed barrel and SA/DA trigger, it is a very accurate gun. The weight makes it easy to shoot all day long if you want.

However, in that size and weight of gun, you give up a lot for carry purposes. In a smaller/lighter package, you can get a lot of .380s and 9mm. As much as I liked the PPK, I like my Shield 9 more. For summer, the PPK is a lot harder to carry everyday than my TCP.

Just to have, the PPK is a great little gun.
maxpower220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 14:50   #4
Toml

Haven't fired a .380, but the .32 ACP has proven to be a safe, accurate, and dependable sidearm.
Old 02-07-2013, 17:56   #5
wilsoni91
BOHICA

I own an PPK/S and carry it as a bug at work and I have never had a problem with it. I used to carry it in a vest holster until we changed uniforms and the vest holster did work for me anymore. Now I carry it on a ankle holster. It has never jammed on me or given me any problems. It is light enough not to bother me while I am at work. For me I couldn't ask for a better bug.

G23C, P99QA, 638, P220, PPK/S, P22, TA-90, G19
wilsoni91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 19:27   #6
Dawolf

I carry mine in a pocket (cargos with deep pockets). Not too heavy for pocket carry in my opinion. Very accurate.
Dawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 21:21   #7
bac1023

I like my S&W version quite a bit, but I want a German model.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 21:29   #8
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh31313 View Post
I recently acquired a Walther PPK (Interarms) and know nothing about the pistol. I am thinking about using this gun for deep concealment or as a B.U.G. Does anyone have any thoughts on this pistol, positive or negative?
I've got a PPK and an LCP. The LCP is a much better carry gun because it is smaller and lighter, with the same "firepower"

But I have carried the PPK quite a bit in the past. If it is reliable, and if you like a double action trigger with a safety, there is nothing wrong with it. Just old style.

Nowadays you get lighter guns for the size and you don't need no stinkin' safety As long as properly holstered. But I guess the PPK does give some non-holster options. I'd rather use a holster, even if a pocket holster.

Old 02-08-2013, 17:55   #9
collim1
Shower Time!

I really like them and have always wanted one, but like said above there are better options for carry.

I like the Sig P232 better, though. If I do buy one, I'll probably get the Sig.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 18:31   #10
donmor53

We bought my wife an Interarms stainless PPK back in the very early 90s. She liked it fine until the first time the slide went across the top of her thumb and hand. She put it down and wouldn't shoot it again. So I took it and carried it off and on for a while but it was finnicky about ammo so...regretfully...I sold it.

Although I consider there to be better options today for a CCW...that Walther is the only gun I ever honestly wish I had never sold.

They are just cool...
donmor53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 18:39   #11
Faulkner
Patriot

I bought one for my wife and she hated it, mainly because the slide was too tough for her to manipulate for her.

I carried it as a on duty BUG and often carried it when out running, biking, or in the kayak. Mine was reliable, mainly using Federal Hydra-Shok and was very accurate. Only downside was, in .380 ACP, the PPKS is not a fun gun to shoot a lot. I'm not recoil sensitive, but I didn't like shooting it more than one or two magazines without putting on shooting gloves. The blowback operation combined with the .380 round can be pretty snappy on your hand.

General Firearms Forum
Old 02-10-2013, 19:17   #12
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

If I were to get a PPK I'd get the 32acp.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-10-2013, 19:52   #13
Pier23

I have a SmithWalther PPK/S, and love it. Also took me three weapons to get one that works correctly.

Mine is VERY accurate for me in its intended range, but if you go the PPK route, spend time on the range to make sure it is working for you.

As others have said, time has changed the .380 world...I have the PPK, but my EDC is a KelTec P3AT which slips into my pocket and is much lighter. For IWB, I slip into a Sig P232 or a Kahr K9.

The PPK is wonderful, but most people have PPKs to have a PPK.
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 20:00   #14
RGbiker

I had an Interarms import West German PPKS in .380acp. Had some feeding issues with certain JHP. Sold it many years later. In my experience the S&W version isn't the same quality as W. German build.

My choice for an all steel pocket carry .380 would be a DDR (East German) or Bulgarian 9X18 Makarov. It's pretty much a PPK copy with more steam out the pipe and is very reliable.

As always, YMMV!
Old 02-10-2013, 23:48   #15
ChiefWPD

The Walther PPK is an older design. Way too heavy for the calibers it's in (for concealed carry - in .22 she's a sweety). As others have posted, get yourself a Ruger LCP for carry purposes.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:32   #16
Gary1911A1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
If I were to get a PPK I'd get the 32acp.

I agree. It's what the PPK was built for. Ammo is harder to find and often cost more than the .380 though.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:10   #17
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
I agree. It's what the PPK was built for. Ammo is harder to find and often cost more than the .380 though.
Yep but it would be a sweet shooter!

Old 02-11-2013, 08:44   #18
ancient_serpent

I have a PPK/S in .380 ACP, the S&W gun. Been really reliable so far and very accurate. I don't carry it a lot, but it's a lot of fun to shoot.
ancient_serpent is offline   Reply With Quote