Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-07-2013, 14:53   #1
caa

30S barrels

Just got the new 30S. It's very nice and shot without malfunction (different from my experience with a 36, by the way). BUT when I went looking for information on after-market barrels like Lone Wolf, KKM, or BarSto, I found that no one has (or if they have they are not sharing) solid technical information on the difference between the barrels for the 30, 36 and 30S. Among others, Mas on this forum has stated that the 30 and 30S barrels are not interchangeable. Others (on threads I can't find right now) have stated that there may be differences in the chamber thickness and ramp dimensions between the 30 and 36 barrels. But I can't find good quality detailed information on the specifics.

I can't even find good quality information on the bottom line question: if I want to buy an aftermarket barrel to shoot lead bullets, what can I order.

I called KKM and the technician who answered the phone didn't know what I was talking about (except that he asserted the 36 is a defective design and Glock has dropped it). I called Lone Wolf and that technician did not know anything about the new model or any plans to produce a LW barrel for it. I called Glock and that technician confirmed the 30 and 36 barrels are not interchangeable but couldn't tell me why or whether 30S barrel was a 36 or something completely new, and otherwise seemed to know about as much and as little as the folks from KKM and Lone Wolf.

If you have good, reliable, verifiable information on these 30S questions, would you post it?

- Does the 30S use the stock 36 barrel, the 30 barrel or something new?
- If different, what are the differences?
- If you want a replacement barrel, where do you go?
- Is the barrel-feed-chamber of the 36 really defective?
- If so and if the 30S uses a 36 barrel did Glock fix the problems (if any)?
- etc.

Thanks.
caa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 14:59   #2
MSims

Quote:
Originally Posted by caa View Post
Just got the new 30S. It's very nice and shot without malfunction (different from my experience with a 36, by the way). BUT when I went looking for information on after-market barrels like Lone Wolf, KKM, or BarSto, I found that no one has (or if they have they are not sharing) solid technical information on the difference between the barrels for the 30, 36 and 30S. Among others, Mas on this forum has stated that the 30 and 30S barrels are not interchangeable. Others (on threads I can't find right now) have stated that there may be differences in the chamber thickness and ramp dimensions between the 30 and 36 barrels. But I can't find good quality detailed information on the specifics.

I can't even find good quality information on the bottom line question: if I want to buy an aftermarket barrel to shoot lead bullets, what can I order.

I called KKM and the technician who answered the phone didn't know what I was talking about (except that he asserted the 36 is a defective design and Glock has dropped it). I called Lone Wolf and that technician did not know anything about the new model or any plans to produce a LW barrel for it. I called Glock and that technician confirmed the 30 and 36 barrels are not interchangeable but couldn't tell me why or whether 30S barrel was a 36 or something completely new, and otherwise seemed to know about as much and as little as the folks from KKM and Lone Wolf.

If you have good, reliable, verifiable information on these 30S questions, would you post it?

- Does the 30S use the stock 36 barrel, the 30 barrel or something new?
- If different, what are the differences?
- If you want a replacement barrel, where do you go?
- Is the barrel-feed-chamber of the 36 really defective?
- If so and if the 30S uses a 36 barrel did Glock fix the problems (if any)?
- etc.

Thanks.
Uses 36 barrel
anybody that carries replacement G36 barrels like LWD...
MSims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 18:52   #3
capn jeff

that is just not true. do not buy the 36 barrel. i just got off the phone with the folks at glockstore.com. the lone wolf 36 barrel that i bought for my 30s. malfunctioned every 2nd or third round. there is a difference in the way the rounds are fed into the barrel on the 30s compared to the 36. the 36 barrel will cause every other round or so to jam. they either won't eject, or won't feed properly. there is no after market barrel available right now. so, lesson to self, don't listen to those who don't really know.
capn jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 20:48   #4
njl

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn jeff View Post
that is just not true. do not buy the 36 barrel.
That doesn't make sense, since the 30s is allegedly a G36 upper on a G30SF lower. I don't have a 36, so I can't do a detailed comparison of the barrels. Hopefully, someone who has both a 30s and 36 will speak up and say if there are any visible differences.
Old 08-23-2013, 21:05   #5
bigcix

I thought the barrel of the 30S was slightly larger then the 36. Either that or visa versa.
Old 08-23-2013, 22:24   #6
PBRLite

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn jeff View Post
that is just not true. do not buy the 36 barrel. i just got off the phone with the folks at glockstore.com. the lone wolf 36 barrel that i bought for my 30s. malfunctioned every 2nd or third round. there is a difference in the way the rounds are fed into the barrel on the 30s compared to the 36. the 36 barrel will cause every other round or so to jam. they either won't eject, or won't feed properly. there is no after market barrel available right now. so, lesson to self, don't listen to those who don't really know.
Bull$hit

36 barrel is indeed the barrel that is being used on the 30s.
PBRLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 23:09   #7
GRT45
Transform & Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRLite View Post
36 barrel is indeed the barrel that is being used on the 30s.
I have to agree with your statement above. The most recent Glock, Inc. Parts Order Form (Certified Armorers) lists a barrel for the G30 (SP 08637) and a barrel for the G36 (SP 01872), but there is no separate barrel listed for the G30S. It's common knowledge that the G30/G30SF barrel does NOT fit the G30S, so I must conclude that the stock G36 barrel is also installed in the G30S at the factory.

Last edited by GRT45; 01-20-2014 at 22:34..
GRT45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 13:49   #8
capn jeff

have you actually tried using the 36 barrel with the 30s? I am just passing on what happened to me and my gun when I used the 36 lone wolf barrel in my 30s. every second or third or sometimes every round either caused a jam, refused to eject, or wouldn't chamber. i tried factory and hand loaded ammo. the hand loads actually were slightly better but till caused malfunctions. the factory barrel does none of these things. I was told by the gun smith at the larry magills glock store that the slide is from a 36 but not the entire upper. so you have a 30sf base with a 36 slide and something else for the rest of the upper. only Glock would know what that is right now. I 'm not here to get into a pissing contest. If you aren't interested in what I learned the hard way, that's your choice. I can assure you it's not bull****. If you're so sure Maybe you should throw one of these barrels in and then rely on it to work when needed. Good luck with that.
Old 08-24-2013, 14:12   #9
sasqwatch2

I believe that it is easily as likely that you received a barrel that was out of spec.
sasqwatch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 14:22   #10
capn jeff

Perhaps, maybe I'm just the unlucky one to get a bad barrel. When I get the chance, I'll get one of my local smiths to check it out.
Old 08-24-2013, 14:39   #11
ken grant

I would try cast bullets in my stock barrel and check for lead after 25 or so rds.
I have shot 1,000's of my cast bullets (wheelweights) and have had no problems with .40 or .45 Glocks (several different ones of them) using stock barrels.
Wheelweights, 6 cav. Lee molds, unsized and Liquid Alox.

I have not tried in my 9m/m ones though as I have a large supply of FMJ bullets

Last edited by ken grant; 08-24-2013 at 14:41..
ken grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 15:19   #12
glock2740
Gun lover.

Why do you feel the need to change the barrel out in the first place?
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 18:34   #13
capn jeff

wanted to try the threaded barrel and compensator. And Glock doesn't recommend hand loads due to an unsupported barrel.
Old 08-24-2013, 18:56   #14
njl

Lone Wolf is known for having tight "match" chambers. The 30/36 are known for being more finicky than the 21 (won't feed most SWCs and certain other rounds the 21 just eats up). So, it shouldn't be surprising that when you take a gun that's finicky to start with and put a tighter chambered aftermarket barrel in it, reliability is going to be iffy.

The 30S being a relatively new model (not really new though...I got to fire one back in February), it's not surprising that the support people at aftermarket parts companies don't know about it yet.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:00   #15
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

I was under the impression that the 30S uses the G36 barrel, not the G30 barrel which is why the options are limited for it.

Last edited by SDGlock23; 08-25-2013 at 12:01..
SDGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 14:08   #16
Noponer

I feel sure that I read somewhere that, even though the 30s basically uses a 36 upper, the barrel is slightly different. As I remember it, the feed ramp was changed slightly.

I can't say for certain, & I do not have a 36 for comparison to my 30s. (There are several obvious differences between my 30s barrel & my 30sf barrel, as you would expect.)

Last edited by Noponer; 08-25-2013 at 14:10..
Noponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 15:09   #17
capn jeff

I believe that is the problem. the ammo won't feed properly with the lone wolf 36 barrel.
Old 08-25-2013, 15:11   #18
Arnold Kuhl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noponer View Post
I feel sure that I read somewhere that, even though the 30s basically uses a 36 upper, the barrel is slightly different. As I remember it, the feed ramp was changed slightly.

I can't say for certain, & I do not have a 36 for comparison to my 30s. (There are several obvious differences between my 30s barrel & my 30sf barrel, as you would expect.)
When I looked at the only 30S I've seen in the last 65 years a couple of days ago, I noticed right off that the feed ramp and the barrel hood looked different than my 30SF. Don't know the reason why they're machined differently, but there definitely was a difference. Also, I suspect that the recoil in the 30S is more noticeable for some shooters (yes, it's subjective) than the recoil in the 30SF, due to the reduced weight of the 30S's slide. I don't really know how the barrels differ other than what I just mentioned. I might defer to GRT45's treatise on the 30S vs. 30SF. It's pretty informative.

AK
Arnold Kuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 15:20   #19
SD Handgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Kuhl View Post
When I looked at the only 30S I've seen in the last 65 years a couple of days ago, I noticed right off that the feed ramp and the barrel hood looked different than my 30SF. Don't know the reason why they're machined differently, but there definitely was a difference. Also, I suspect that the recoil in the 30S is more noticeable for some shooters (yes, it's subjective) than the recoil in the 30SF, due to the reduced weight of the 30S's slide. I don't really know how the barrels differ other than what I just mentioned. I might defer to GRT45's treatise on the 30S vs. 30SF. It's pretty informative.

AK
In watching a you tube video of Hickok45 shooting the Glock 36. After he had shot the Glock 36 a bunch he put the Glock 36 slide and barrel onto a Glock 30 Frame and shot a magazine full through it and did experience a jam. I do not remember exactly what the jam was as it was a while ago that I watched the video.

Larry
SD Handgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 22:08   #20
Mushinto
Master Member

Tagged because I need this information and do not see a definitive answer here.

Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind, always.
Mushinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:03   #21
hunter 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl View Post
That doesn't make sense, since the 30s is allegedly a G36 upper on a G30SF lower. I don't have a 36, so I can't do a detailed comparison of the barrels. Hopefully, someone who has both a 30s and 36 will speak up and say if there are any visible differences.
I asked glock
They (the tech) said the uppers of the
30S
And
36 are the same .

I have both....they are the same.....note key words 30S
In the above post uppers means complete slide with bbls ...springs..etc
I asked if I could switch them ... if the gun would work ...yes was his answer.

Last edited by hunter 111; 01-21-2014 at 08:09..
hunter 111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:11   #22
hunter 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noponer View Post

Wrong
Old 01-21-2014, 10:29   #23
Mushinto
Master Member

I contacted Lone Wolf and they replied:

Yes sir, you can find that barrel here http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.a...D=1790&CAT=237

Justin Hansel
Retail & Web Sales

So, I will get one and let you know if it works.

ML
Mushinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:58   #24
PA30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushinto View Post

Yes sir, you can find that barrel here http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.a...D=1790&CAT=237

Justin Hansel
Retail & Web Sales

ML
Thanks for the link. A nice threaded barrel and a suppressor might be a fun little toy on my 30s.

Last edited by PA30s; 02-25-2014 at 05:58..
PA30s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:50   #25
D1N0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushinto View Post

Justin Hansel
Retail & Web Sales

ML
It's listed on the site for both models , 30s & 36.
So they should be the same factory barrels in both firearms.
D1N0 is offline   Reply With Quote