Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:21   #21
mntrpr

grow your hair out just a bit to hide the scars from the lobotomy.
mntrpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:29   #22
Actionmonkey

Remember where you came from and don't expect people to be the cop you weren't!
I have a sgt who just recently got made and he demands we all go non stop arrest everyone. I'm all for working and being pro active but having the guy notorious for sitting under a tree all day be the one expecting perfection is a little annoying.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-07-2013, 08:12   #23
Roadkill_751
5 or 6 rounds?

!

Velcro!!!! (just kidding)

1. Treat your subordinates with respect.

2. Listen to their concerns and try to assist them if you can. In another words, get to know them. (Their family and hobbies and etc.) I know that is touchy feely, but you will win them over and show them you are human too.

3. Let your subordinates work and make their own decisions on how to handle the call. If it is wrong decision step in and assist them.

4. DO NOT MICROMANAGE YOUR SUBORDINATES!!!!!

5. Give atta-boy letters to your hardchargers. And if your slug does something good give them a letter too. Remember, you got to pet the dog to keep them around the house.

6. If your subordinate screws up, take care of business but never never never keep bringing it up or hold it over their head.

7. Again, if your subordinate screws up evaluate why it happened and hold them accountable and move on.

8. Lead by example. Look sharp. Be knowledgeable in criminal statutes, criminal procedures, civil procedures, traffic code, your SOP procedures, and your Incident and Accident reporting procedures.

9. Keep current on law enforcement trends by self study.

10. Treat everyone like you want to be treated.

11. Try not to supervise over the radio, unless it is necessary to do so.

Congrats and Good Luck!!!!

Last edited by Roadkill_751; 02-07-2013 at 16:41..
Roadkill_751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:48   #24
Ajon412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander-11 View Post
Thanks to all. I've worked for sergeants that I've respected and for several that I despised. The good ones did what you've all suggested. That's the path I want to be on. Again, much appreciated.
This is a GREAT place to start.....
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:46   #25
ateamer
NRA4EVR

Always tell the truth.

Stand up for your troops, even if it's not popular with admin.

Lead by example.

Don't micromanage. Tell your guys what the outcome needs to be and leave the details up to them. If they come to you with questions, help them work it out. You are basically FTO to six or eight people now.

Insist on your troops being 100% honest, following policy and doing the right thing.

Do frequent roll call training. Your guys can't be expected to follow policy and case law if they don't thoroughly know it.

If time allows where you work, encourage your guys to get together in the field and train on tactics.

Let your guys run their beats and give them what they need to do it.

Always tell the truth. No exceptions.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:09   #26
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

Quote:
Getting my stripes on Monday. Let's hear some advice!
my advise, unless youre with a fair sized agency where a sergeant is a sergeant, give them the **** back.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...

Last edited by cowboywannabe; 02-07-2013 at 12:10..
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:29   #27
Ftttu

Nothing to really add. My input is to take all of the positives of all of the great supervisors you have had in the past and follow suit. Your subordinates will eventually do the same with you.
Ftttu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 14:34   #28
JBaird22

Aside from politely saying "no thank you" and giving them back, some tips from me, a lowly corporal who has had to play sgt on more than one occasion:

Make their jobs easier. Whatever it means make their jobs easier. If its deflecting BS from above, it it's fighting for better training, whatever it is make your people's jobs easier.

Don't be afraid to tell someone they stink and need to fix themselves. Only if they do need fixing.

Show them how good decisions get made. Share with them your thought processes and help them to see the big picture of events. I never got this sort of training from my sgts and it was like good decisions were based on magic or a crystal ball. Make them the next sgt so when you move up, you don't have d bags working for you.

Good luck.

Former Certified Super Glock fixer
JBaird22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 14:45   #29
VPD4327

Remember where you came from. Stand up for your guys when they deserve your support. Don't be an admin "cool-aid" drinker.
VPD4327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 14:46   #30
BL33D 4 M3
SDMF

The transition you are about to make is the most difficult one in your career. Patrolman to Sergeant changes everything about how you are viewed by "the guys" and "admin". Stay true to the values and practices that got you promoted. Its probably the most difficult job in LE to do well. You will filter information in both directions (up and down). One thing to always remember is this; What you permit, you promote. They will test you. Let them know early on what will fly and what won't. You can accomplish this without being a prick.

Good luck to you and congratulations on this new chapter in your life.
BL33D 4 M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 16:31   #31
x_out86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog689 View Post
Don't ask your officers to do anything that you aren't willing to do yourself....then show them that you will do it too.
+1000

You cant stand in the back and yell "charge" and expect your guys/gals to follow you blindly. If you lead the charge side by side, never ask them to do something you wouldnt do, and never treat your people as "less" than yourself. Do this, and they will follow you anywhere without question.

Oh yeah, and always remember....Praise in public, punish/correct in private. Everybody loves an attaboy once in a while, but nothing shuts down guys faster than being scorned in front of co-workers.
I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.

Last edited by x_out86; 02-07-2013 at 16:33..
x_out86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 17:56   #32
igor

teh best job in the dept. congrats. listen to the folks they have good ideas treat all fair and be known for that. at the time of my retirement my shift had a 46 person waiting list to work on it. i would like to think that myself and the other sgt had a little something to do with that. i was a sgt for almost 20 yrs and it was a hoot
Old 02-07-2013, 18:35   #33
Sgt127

You must have done everything you expect from your troops. If they are directing traffic in the rain at a major accident, you occasionally have to let them see you soaking wet too.

If they are wading into a bar fight, you either need the street creds for wading into bar fights, or, every once in awhile, be with them when they do.

Jump hot calls. Let them hear you on the radio. Its hard for them to sit in the 7-11 drinking a slurpee if they hear you jumping calls. (if its not hard for them, it needs to be).

Let them be themselves. Everybody has a slightly different way of doing things. Some may work better than the way you did it. If it achieves the goal, is morally right and, within policy, let them have at it.

Look sharp. They better not ever look better than you. They can look as good, not better. (well, maybe a little)

Make decisions and stand by them. When I am asked how to handle a certain problem, my finishing quote is usually: "And, if anybody asks, tell them your Sergeant told you to do it that way." I got 27 years in. 15 years as a Sergeant. What are they going to do to me? As long as my decision was honest, had integrity, was lawful and was generally within policy, I assume they let me be a Sergeant to make decisions, I did. Somebody above me not happy with it, come to me, not my people.
Sgt127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 19:07   #34
Patchman
Florist

What others have said.

Also, I'll add that when your patrol cops are called to a scene, make sure they ask the hard questions to determine if a penal law crime really occurred. If it's a civil matter, don't be afraid for the LEO to say "no police report will be taken."

And in cases like that, protect your cops by making sure they document somewhere what it wasn't a crime.

And if a crime was committed and needs further investigation by detectives, ensure all the relevant details are included and the elements of the recorded crime is spelled out. Teach your patrol cops a little additional investigation can go a long way (It's always important to develop current talent to be future detectives).

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 02-07-2013 at 22:18..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 19:10   #35
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Don't be a ****.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Last edited by txleapd; 02-07-2013 at 19:11..
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 20:27   #36
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboywannabe View Post
my advise, unless youre with a fair sized agency where a sergeant is a sergeant, give them the **** back.
Ya, I was going to say "when they hand them to you, hand 'em right back". It's not worth it. However, I always encourage people to try their best to get promoted, because you can't ***** when the person doing the job is a ****tard, if you're not willing to do it yourself. That's why I promoted. I was tired of working for morons who made their officers hate their jobs.
And if you have to go H-2-H, unload your holster gun first and rely on your concealed BUG, so that if the nut-job gets your holster gun it will be empty.
S.O.Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 20:45   #37
Dukeboy01
Pretty Ladies!

Do not be afraid to make a decision. That's what you're paid for. There is nothing worse than a pantywaist admin weenie who won't make a decision. You wanted the stripes, after all.
Old 02-07-2013, 20:48   #38
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeboy01 View Post
Do not be afraid to make a decision. That's what you're paid for. There is nothing worse than a pantywaist admin weenie who won't make a decision. You wanted the stripes, after all.

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 21:22   #39
rgregoryb
Sapere aude

Vicarious Liability..................why I remained a Det/Corporal. I wanted to be responsible for me. With my length of service I made as much or more than most LT's

"demography is destiny"
rgregoryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 21:54   #40
jenrick

Provide guidance and direction to your rookies and junior officers. Provide a buffer for your senior officers. Come to work each day asking "how can I make my guys/girls better cops?" Have a plan at all times, when it comes down to it, your are the person everyone on scene is going to look to. Don't be afraid to make a decision, make decisions for the right reason. Be the LEADER and supervisor your troops deserve.

-Jenrick
jenrick is offline   Reply With Quote