SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-06-2013, 13:48   #1
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Tourniquet Comarisons: SOF-TT vs C-A-T

I have both of these tournq's. The CAT came with the Tactical Operator's Response Kit: http://www.officersurvival.org/colle...s-response-kit.

The SOF-TT came with the Downed Operator Kit:
http://www.officersurvival.org/colle...d-operator-kit.

First, let me say I think both of these are great products and carry each of them (at different times) with all confidence.

The CAT is around $7 more than the SOF-T Wide.

Both have locations to write the time of application on them.

The CAT comes with infinitely better instructions (it is two-sided with color pictures). Online, you can find great videos detailing both of them.

Cop Talk

The CAT has a plastic windlass; the SOF, a metal one. However, they both lock into a plastic windlass stop. Therefore, I don't see a lot of benefit to the metal of the SOF. Remember, I have not used these for real.

In taking them out of the packaging to try them out loosely, I noticed the SOF stitching has already started to come undone. The part that is coming unsewn holds the windlass in place. This is with one winding of the windlass approximately two and a half turns:

Cop Talk

This is unfortunate, but does not effect the usability of the windlass or the tournq. It does make me concerned for the overall build quality.

Here's the biggest pro the CAT has over the SOFTT, the CAT is much smaller when stored.

Cop Talk

The thinnest I can get the SOF-TT, using the recommended storing method is approximately three inches. The CAT is about 1 5/8 inches. That's a big deal for most of us without external vest carriers. Storage lengths are near enough not to matter.

The CAT has 1.5 inch webbing while the SOF-TT has one inch webbing. The SOF-T Wide has a 1.5 in webbing, like the CAT. The SOF-TT storage width is approximately 1.5 inches, same as the CAT.

The one thing I like about the SOF-TT is the part that causes the storage problem. I like the spring-loaded metal clasp and the tightening screw. I trust the mechanics of it better then the velcro on the CAT. In use, I doubt it's any different than six of one, half a dozen of the other.

If anyone has any questions or wants additional pics, let me know.

For the record, a paramedic friend of mine really likes the CAT. He hasn't seen the SOF-TT, in person, yet.
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 13:59   #2
PinkoCommie
Unusual Member

Thanks! I am looking at building Police Officer Rescue Kits (yes, PORKs) for my entire department. We have pretty much decided to go with the CAT, but this is still very good info.

The kits will be simple, and fit in a small MOLLE medic pouch, with the exception of a hasty harness, which will fit into an AR magazine pouch. Tourniquet, some quick-clot gauze, a few other small items, and the harness. One of my officers (an EMT in his past life, still current), has poured a lot of thought into this, and has everything planned out, including training to go along with the kits. Guys like him give me hope for the future of this profession. I am begging, bribing and shaming command staff into purchasing the items for every officer.
This wasn't me... --DaBigBR
I was hauling a large quotient of ass. --Cochese
PinkoCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 14:18   #3
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

I'm working on the same type of thing. We currenly have Quikclot Combat Gauze in each vehicle, but it stops there. I would like to see a pocket sized kit for each LEO to carry on their person. I'm still working out what we should have.
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 17:23   #4
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

I carry both a CAT and a SWAT as my TKs. The SWAT offers more options for use while the CAT is easier to apply.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 17:46   #5
OfficerSurvival
Silver Membership

Great review Nikerret-

If you want to send that SOF-T back to us, we'll replace it at no cost. The usability shouldn't be affected, but the stitching shouldn't be coming undone like that. Let me know.

//Jake

Last edited by OfficerSurvival; 02-06-2013 at 17:58..
OfficerSurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 19:52   #6
DoogieHowser
Eh

I teach both the CAT and the SOF-T and in the teaching of both I have found over and over and over again that the CAT is far superior. The SOF-T requires a lot more dexterity to apply one handed while the CAT is stupid KISS simple. Stick with the CAT there is a reason why it's the number one deployed.

Side note: If you are training with these TQ's please purchase an additional real one or one of the trainers. DO NOT DEPLOY a TQ that has seen use in training, that's a good way to have a failure later. They are not meant to be used multiple times.

Last edited by DoogieHowser; 02-06-2013 at 19:53..
DoogieHowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 21:01   #7
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogieHowser View Post
I teach both the CAT and the SOF-T and in the teaching of both I have found over and over and over again that the CAT is far superior. The SOF-T requires a lot more dexterity to apply one handed while the CAT is stupid KISS simple. Stick with the CAT there is a reason why it's the number one deployed.

Side note: If you are training with these TQ's please purchase an additional real one or one of the trainers. DO NOT DEPLOY a TQ that has seen use in training, that's a good way to have a failure later. They are not meant to be used multiple times.
Good advice there. The CAT is the one the Army has gone to both for our IFAKs and our Combat Lifesaver bags, and I'm sure the medic bags as well. I figure that's for a reason--they work, and work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:42   #8
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Just finished an instructor's course. There was another student who was a member of the Army TCCC committee. He reports seeing the SOF-T fail regularly I Iraq. The failure point was where the screw contacts the webbing and was caused by webbing that had been exposed to UV. They had a replacement policy of swapping them out every 30 days to keep this from happening.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:12   #9
APD
Trunk Monkey

I carry a CAT in my cargo pocket on duty. It has been very quick to apply in training.

"Hope is not a strategy"
-John C. Maxwell
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:30   #10
Hunca Munca
nonplussed

You can break GSWs into 3 basic types.

1 Brain shot Aorta shot Ventricle shot. DRT. You could get shot in an operating room with a team right there and it would not make a difference.

2. Chest abdomen extremity (non arterial) You need surgery but if you have any decent access to EMS you will probably survive to surgery.

3. Arterial shot. You will bleed to death in 5 minutes. This is where you need the CAT or a similar tourniquet. You don't have time to wait for EMS. Quickclot alone will not stop a femoral artery bleed.
Old 02-14-2013, 14:35   #11
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

I like the cat much better. In fact 1. Cat 2. Swat 3. Sof t. The sof t is almost impossible to apply one handed. The sof t also has a tendency to get bumped loose if you hit the tension screw. I have a couple, but rarely dig them out. Cats are far superior in every way

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by SCSU74; 02-14-2013 at 14:37..
SCSU74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:51   #12
mntrpr

Those with the cats, how are you carrying them? I don't have BDUs and I cannot I wear an external carrier.
mntrpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:50   #13
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntrpr View Post
Those with the cats, how are you carrying them? I don't have BDUs and I cannot I wear an external carrier.
Do you have room on your belt for small pouch?

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:17   #14
AA_Khost

Have you gentlemen considered the SWAT-T? Great tourniquet and under $10 in most places.
Proven overseas and last I knew yhe IDF has used them for years.

http://www.swattourniquet.com/order.html

'Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty'-Thomas Jefferson
AA_Khost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:21   #15
mntrpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStudent View Post
Do you have room on your belt for small pouch?
Probably....especially since I got in trouble for carrying my triple mag pouch!!!!
mntrpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:40   #16
CJStudent
Fenced In

Quote:
Probably....especially since I got in trouble for carrying my triple mag pouch!!!!
http://www.officersurvival.org/colle...niquet-holster

http://www.officersurvival.org/colle...at-belt-holder

Either one of those would work.

Quote:
Old 02-15-2013, 08:49   #17
OfficerSurvival
Silver Membership

CJ beat me to the punch! We've also started carrying the Kydex to fit the SOF-T, though it's not on the site yet.

If you have absolutely no other option, the SWAT-T is an effective tourniquet. We like to think of it as a back up to one of the other two options though. Great for compact spaces and limited carry options, but it has some serious limitations. Chief among these is that it's very difficult to apply one handed. Not impossible, but it definitely takes some practice.

Thanks for the links CJ!

G-
Old 02-15-2013, 08:55   #18
CJStudent
Fenced In

Not a problem!

Quote:
Old 02-15-2013, 10:32   #19
DoogieHowser
Eh

If your going to buy a TQ why squabble about the $30 it takes to get a good one? Take a look at the survival section of arfcom lots of people selling them for $20 just get one in the plastic to ensure it wasn't used for training. Get some celox gauze and throw it in a pocket. Those two things are really all you need for hemorrhage.

Last edited by DoogieHowser; 02-15-2013 at 10:32..
DoogieHowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:02   #20
OfficerSurvival
Silver Membership

The only thing I would disagree on is the where to buy idea. If you're looking to buy a life saving device, is the unknown fella selling on a forum/eBay/craigslist really the guy you want to trust to save $10? The market was flooded with counterfeits a few years ago and they're still out there. Spend the extra cash and buy from a reputable dealer. I'll even send you the names and contacts of our competitors if you don't want to buy from us. Just make sure you're getting good kit. Of course if you want to help out a bunch of ex-trigger puller types looking to make a living , I'm happy help you out too. :-)

//Jake

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-15-2013, 12:01   #21
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
i keep mine vertical behind my soft trauma plate backer. I have a pouch for a duty belt if you want it. heres the link:

http://www.1110gear.com/eleven-10-to...elf-aid-pouch/

Last edited by SCSU74; 02-15-2013 at 12:04..
SCSU74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:02   #22
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA_Khost View Post
Have you gentlemen considered the SWAT-T? Great tourniquet and under $10 in most places.
Proven overseas and last I knew yhe IDF has used them for years.

http://www.swattourniquet.com/order.html
it's ok as an additional, but it doesn't have a windless. I carry a cat as my primary
Old 02-15-2013, 18:08   #23
Steve in PA

I ordered 3 of the kits with the C-A-T from Gall's yesterday.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 21:00   #24
OfficerSurvival
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
I ordered 3 of the kits with the C-A-T from Gall's yesterday.

They've got a bunch. Which one did you go with?

//Jake
Old 02-15-2013, 21:37   #25
bccop

In our agency all of us in patrol have just been issued the CAT within the last month and to carry them in a pants cargo pocket.

Archilochus, Greek Soldier and Poet, 650 BC
bccop is offline   Reply With Quote