SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-06-2013, 15:16   #1
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Downed Operator Kit Review

I was fortunate enough to win the DOK by Tactical Medical Solution from Officer Survival Initiative after their Christmas Sale.

It contains:

SOF®Tactical Tourniquet-NH

Olaes® modular bandage
Each Olaes® bandage contains:
•3 meters of sterile 4 ply gauze.
•Plastic occlusive sheet included in dressing pocket.
•Transparent pressure cup that focuses pressure on the wound and acts as an eye cup for treatment of eye injuries.

Face shield

One pair of Nitrile gloves

2” Tape

5.5” Trauma shears

Obviously, the two components most sought are the SOF-TT and the Oales Bandage.

See my tourniquet review:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1470039

The Oales is very cool with many options in a very small package. Look it up, online, for how-to videos.

The plastic bag it all comes in is very sturdy. It is large enough, I put a Quikclot Combat Gauze LE in it and it adds no size.

The shears aren't as nice or as solid as the ones that came in my Tactical Operator's Response Kit, but I'm sure they will work. They are pretty small, but that's good, in ways.

For the price, $38, I feel it is a good buy. My issue with it is the size. It's not small enough to fit my cargo pockets in the provided bag. The Oales and SOF-TT, which I consider the most important parts of the kit , fit the cargo pocket easily. The Oales and the SOF-TT run arond $35. For the extra $3, you get the shears, face shield, gloves and tape. All of the extras, except the tape, can easily go in that same cargo pocket.

Personally, I would rather buy this and a Quikclot (or equivelant) over the Phokus kits and save several dollars. The Phokus doesn't come with a tourniquet. Then, you only need a chest seal (or a plastic bag and some tape, like the one your DOK comes with).
The DOK with Quikclot LE would run around $93. The cheaper Phokus comes in at $128.

I believe the Phokus will now come with SWAT tourniquets, but those can be had for much cheaper than the SOF-TT or the CAT.
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 16:33   #2
Arvinator

Good idea. I purchased a Military First Aid Kit at a nearby Army Surplus Store. It had a few items, and I added a few to make it just right for my uses and ability. It has:
Trauma Shears
Quick Clot
Combat Gauze
3 inch pad dressing
Tourniqet
small roll of tape
Mil surplus bandage (old style)
small roll of gauze
triangle bandage

While not perfect, it should stop the bleeding. I have more stuff in the car (Alot of stuff) minus IV items.

This little items rides in my car on patrol, and can be strapped on me when on foot for a deail or prepared raid.
Arvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 17:05   #3
cfrye11

Thank you for this post. I have never seen a kit like this. It is exactly what i have been looking for.

molan labe
cfrye11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 18:55   #4
OfficerSurvival
Silver Membership

Great review again Nikerret-

You're right about the Phokus kit, they are adding a SWAT-T and pulling the shears after we had a discussion about deformation under soft armor. You're also right that it's priced a bit higher than other options out there. Especially if you're wearing cargo pants.

//Jake

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
OfficerSurvival is offline   Reply With Quote