Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:18   #26
fallenangelhim
come get some

Yea. Since I could not find 308, I sold my AR and bought an IMI Uzi. I can find ARs anytime, Uzis I cannot. But I found 9mm easier to obtain during this rush than 308.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
The Kalashnikov Klub Member #1999
fallenangelhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:08   #27
Haldor
Retired EE

That is why you stock up when prices are low. Last summer I bought 2K of Lake City M193 ammo for $0.289 a shot. I also bought 2K of Blazer Brass 9mm practice ammo at $0.20 a shot around the same time. I also bought 500 rounds of Federal HST carry ammo last summer at $0.50 a shot as well.

Every time the local gun shop had .22LR on sale I would pick up a brick or two (I haven't counted, but I probably have more than 10K of rim fire).

This is not the first time I have been to this rodeo. The only ammo I am buying now is 5.7x28mm since I just added a PS90 to my stable. Torques me off to no end, but that is the way things go sometimes. I can assure you I will have adequate stocks of 5.7 before the next scare.
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.

Last edited by Haldor; 02-06-2013 at 06:12..
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:30   #28
tnedator
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj9mm View Post
for handgun, i'm seriously thinking of adding a 40s&w, thats all thats left on the shelves here.
A few years back when shelves were bare, online and locally, the only thing that was relatively easy to find (range and self defense flavors) was .40 S&W (when compared to 9mm and .45 ACP).
Old 02-06-2013, 06:37   #29
Lowjiber

Panics like this are not uncommon. The comments above about "the next crisis" have a basis in fact...they'll always be with us.

Like many GT'ers, I have a substantial supply of my "go to" caliber, and see no need to change at all.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Lowjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:40   #30
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogship View Post
Just goes to show that if you haven't stored up some ammo before shtf, panic......it's already too late!

ooc
I agree 100%!

my goto caliber is 7.62 x39, which I have about 7000 rounds of, and I have been buying it and storing it up since 2005 after AWB1 ended in 2004.

if you didn't start preparing then, you should have started in 2008 when Obama was elected. If you didn't start in 2008 and you are waiting till now, you're probably screwed.

the SHTF scenario we have all been preparing for is probably going to happen within the next few years. if by some miracle it doesn't happen with Obama, it will certainly happen with Hillary in office!

TGG

FLORIDA GUN OWNERS.....Check out this shirt!!!!

This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:03   #31
spcwes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogship View Post
Just goes to show that if you haven't stored up some ammo before shtf, panic......it's already too late!

ooc
No you are good, just find the folks stockpiling ammo to resale at 300% cost. They are not trained, just greedy. They will give up cases of ammo for a cheeseburger.

To the OP, I think everyone thought 9mm, 223/5.56/7.62X39/7.62/.308 at the same time. I have not seen a box of 9mm ammo on a shelf in a month.
"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American perception that each individual is accountable for his/her actions." -Ronald Reagan-

Last edited by spcwes; 02-06-2013 at 07:05..
spcwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:31   #32
Filhar

I reload my 38s for competition, no issue there. My carry gun is a g26, and I keep enough, but I've ordered a g30 gen 4 45 cap, cause there's plenty on the shelf and I know plenty of reloaders Also, good excuse to buy another gun. With all my CAS guns, I don't buy anything I don't shoot often.
Filhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:35   #33
PVolk

For me, .40s&w has continued to be the easiest pistol round to find around here. And that happens to be my go-to round, so I'm glad to have what I have.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:37   #34
HauntedAlabama

I buy ammo every payday and have a good stock of what I need. My main ccw pistol is a 357 Sig and its often the only ammo on the shelf at my local Wal-Mart. While I already have plenty I have still purchased some extra since this current panic started. I have been buying mostly shotgun ammo though.
HauntedAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:52   #35
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

Nowadays, the last caliber I would buy is a .223, because it's the first one everyone hoards and the last one you'll find whenever there's a lib-tard induced run on ammo.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:14   #36
1gewehr

Choosing a caliber based on panic-buying is not intelligent. As said above, there will always be another panic sometime later. And caliber popularity changes. Fifteen years ago, you could buy .308 cheaper than 5.56, and it was much more common in smaller stores. Thirty years ago, 7.62x39 was very hard to come buy. Just four years later it was the cheapest stuff around.

Choose your calibers based on realistic factors. Does the cartridge do what you need it to do? Can you buy it in decent quantities during normal times? Do you have firearms that suit your purpose in that caliber? Can you reload it?

When times are normal, I buy at least twice what I will shoot. If I plan to shoot 500rds per month, I budget for 1000rds/month. And be a smart shopper! Ammo is almost always cheaper by the case. Save up and get a case at a time!

BTW, I'm already starting to see ammo trickling back into stores.
1gewehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:29   #37
pat701

YES, but i always tried to stay with very common ammo calibers that are easy to buy.
pat701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:50   #38
Shinesintx

About two years ago, I got into 9mm...before that, I was collecting .40 and .45. Before that, I was collecting .223 and .308. This new panic buying caused me to buy a new safe just for ammo. After inventorying my stock, I now see that I need more .223. I guess I will just be patient and wait for the panic to die down. Eventually, I need to load up on .223.

Having just a few boxes on hand is insane. It's funny, before the panic...I looked at what I had and thought that maybe I was a fool. No way was i ever gonna shoot all this. Now I look at my stock and know that I am a fool. I have not bought enough.

Last edited by Shinesintx; 02-06-2013 at 10:51..
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:28   #39
Booker

I solved this ammo shortage problem by only hoarding calibers that can be reloaded with Black Powder. 38 Special, 45 Colt, 303 British, etc.

I also store my urine in 5 gallon buckets in case I have to make my own Black Powder! LOL.

This shortage will end and when it does, start to put aside some ammo then. Remember a year or two back when we couldn't find 380 ACP?
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:19   #40
I Shooter

This panic Is by far the worst I have seen. I am 62 and have been into guns most of my life.

I thought back when I started to buy guns in planed calibers my thought was that any thing the military bought would always be in stock.

My thinking was off, wrong, or just not thought out all the way. The military has dibs on all ammo. They have placed contracts for so much ammo. The ammo Co. will honer there contacts regardless what we want or need. The military comes first as it should. Then there is contracts for other departments such as FBI, HLS, CIA and a hole lot of others police and such. Then after all the contracts are met we can get what they sell to retailers.

Most places still have 17 rim fire, 222, 22-250, 7mm08, 38 special and 45 long Colt. Not a bad line up and you could get buy with them just fine. The question is in a SHTF happening would we be able to get them at a store? In my way of thinking they may be the last off the shelf but you will not be as likely to be able to trade for them at the local barter place when every thing is shut down.

Also do you think there will ever be a time when every thing will be shut down. My thought has always been that our hard times will be like the great depression, things will still be up and running just not as many and money will be hard to come by. You will trade a days labor for a box of shells or a meal for your family and be gad you were able to do it. As many people have said that when hard times come a lot of people will die in the cities in the first month. That there will be riots and gangs hunting for food, sacking stores and taking what they need to stay alive.

That is what some think the government is planing for. The really hard times. They want to be in control and the best way to do that is to be the only one with guns. Sheep are much easer to herd than cats and dogs.

I plan to stay with the calibers I have chosen and maybe pick up a few more like a 22-250 and a 45 long Colt may be even a 7mm08. I know that gives me more rounds to stock but it also gives me more choices and a reason to get more guns. Like I really need a reason to get more guns.
I Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 13:02   #41
Fear Night
NRA Life Member

No way. Anybody that doesn't have ammo to shoot right now was not prepared enough.

Also, get into reloading once the panic dies down.
Fear Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 15:21   #42
John Biltz

Before all this happened you could have taken $600 and bought a .40 or you could have bought 2,000 rounds of 9mm. I'd rather have the ammo on hand rather than a gun I hope I can get ammo for. I don't get guys who have a safe full of guns and a few hundred rounds of ammo on hand.
Old 02-06-2013, 15:58   #43
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booker View Post
I solved this ammo shortage problem by only hoarding calibers that can be reloaded with Black Powder. 38 Special, 45 Colt, 303 British, etc.

I also store my urine in 5 gallon buckets in case I have to make my own Black Powder! LOL.

This shortage will end and when it does, start to put aside some ammo then. Remember a year or two back when we couldn't find 380 ACP?
That was 3-4 years ago.

Election 2008 through 2009

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 02-06-2013 at 15:58..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 16:09   #44
ronin.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Biltz View Post
Before all this happened you could have taken $600 and bought a .40 or you could have bought 2,000 rounds of 9mm. I'd rather have the ammo on hand rather than a gun I hope I can get ammo for. I don't get guys who have a safe full of guns and a few hundred rounds of ammo on hand.
My thoughts exactly. Hell just before Newtown I was buying factory brass 9mm at $9-10 a box. That's 3,000 rounds instead of that extra gun. 3,000 is much more than the average shooter would ever shoot. That is a much better plan than diversifying guns in the hopes you'll find something you can use.
Old 02-06-2013, 16:10   #45
Lt Scott 14

Wifey asked "just how much ammo do you really need?" My response was:" as much as possible." After thought was to do a quick inventory (pre zombie preparedness) an see how little I actually own. Handgun ammo includes centerfire only: Estimate vary calibers to be around 3000 rds. Shotgun/rifle estimate around 2000 rds, including rimfire. 5000 rds for a family should be sufficient for most SHTF, after that, we go Black powder: 50 cal, and 44 cal. Then it's Bowie Knives, Tomahawks, and slingshots.
We aren't really under prepped at all. Food and water as well.
So if the panic gets worse, we'll be GTG, just didn't start this year doing preps. Obama politics started this crap storm in 2008. Bush and Clinton also did their parts. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Lt Scott 14; 02-06-2013 at 16:15..
Lt Scott 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 16:12   #46
ChiTownPicaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
A few years back when shelves were bare, online and locally, the only thing that was relatively easy to find (range and self defense flavors) was .40 S&W (when compared to 9mm and .45 ACP).
I remember that. I am thinking of getting myself an M&P40 as well as an M&P40c because of this. I already have my 9mm Glocks but ammo is hard to find.
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 16:14   #47
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Scott 14 View Post
Wifey asked "just how much ammo do you really need?" My response was:" as much as possible." After thought was to do a quick inventory (pre zombie preparedness) an see how little I actually own. Handgun ammo includes centerfire only: Estimate vary calibers to be around 3000 rds. Shotgun/rifle estimate around 2000 rds, including rimfire. 5000 rds for a family should be sufficient for most SHTF, after that, we go Black powder: 50 cal, and 44 cal. Then it's Bowie Knives, Tomahawks, and slingshots.
We aren't really under prepped at all. Food and water as well.
Probably 100 rounds will be more than you need for defensive purposes.

After that point most people will have been seriously injured or killed.

JMO

It's never bad to have more, and having more allows you to continue to practice and train, even when the supply has a hiccup like this, or even if there is a long term change in supply/costs (that's when having thousands upon thousands would really be nice)

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 02-06-2013 at 16:15..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 16:47   #48
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Not a bit.

As soon as the warm weather comes around, I'll be going back to my normal weekly shooting scheduled.

The only thing this run on stuff has done is proven my correct for being prepared.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 16:54   #49
John_NJ

I go to my basement in an emergency. 15 different calibers are available.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Donít respond to the stupidity of a fool; youíll only look foolish yourself. Proverbs 26:4
John_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 17:02   #50
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtl View Post
do we have this all wrong? should we be thinking about finding something we like that's less common, so that it might still be possible to go to cabelas, gander mtn, etc and find something in an emergency?
How's this for rethinking it? I reload. My go to cailbers are 9mm, .45ACP, and .357.
I just purchased my first bullet mold in .45 ACP. I figure if I really can't get ammo, I'll just melt down a bunch of wheel weights from some Prius's and I'll be ready to start production again. I can even get by scavenging whatever oddball powders are left on the shelf at retailers. Is that do-able enough?
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote