Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-04-2013, 19:13   #1
ChallengerSRT

Made in Austria or USA?

On another thread, someone posted their Glock was made in the USA. I thought it was really cool and different. I mean, what percentage of Glocks are stamped that way? One person commented he wouldn't want his made in the US, which surprised me. It's a non-issue for me, except one poster said the finish is darker on the US made version when put side by side. Someone commented that the tennifer finish process was not allowed in the US so maybe that's the difference? Not sure if there's any truth to it.
So, I'm interested to know everyone's opinion on made in USA vs. Austria? Are people here that unpatriotic that they'd actually prefer THEIR gun be made elsewhere? Are you saying made in USA isn't good enough for you?
ChallengerSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 19:23   #2
JWG_34
TeamCarverMount

Tennifer is not allowed in the US,Im not sure what finish is use here in the US,But the tennifer uses chemicals that are not an allowed process here in the usa(EPA rules)
JWG_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 19:27   #3
bac1023

I'd prefer my Glocks to be made in Austria, I'd prefer my Berettas to be made in Italian, and I'd prefer my Sigs to be made in Germany.

I like guns to come from their country of origin.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 19:33   #4
tonyparson

Neither Glocks made in Austria or USA have been treated with Tenifer.. Glock stop using Tenifer about a year or so ago.
Old 02-04-2013, 19:49   #5
Smidgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I'd prefer my Berettas to be made in Italian
So they can't speak English while making your gun, even if they are doing so in ITALY ??
Smidgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 20:10   #6
Shiloh228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smidgen View Post
So they can't speak English while making your gun, even if they are doing so in ITALY ??
And if they're made in Smyrna...they're probably hard to understand as well...especially for a Yankee!
Shiloh228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 22:04   #7
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Look the same
Feel the same
Shoot the same

General Glocking
Old 02-04-2013, 22:19   #8
Triple7

I have a USA Glock....a couple hundred rounds through it and it shoots like....a Glock.

Gen 2 Glock 17
Gen 4 Glock 17
Triple7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 22:24   #9
Browner

Yeah when I said the finish was darker on the USA one, its no big deal. I have Glocks made in USA and Austria as well. I have no problem with my USA G19 at all. Now if I can find a Gen 4 G19 made in the USA, I'll buy it. Ron
Browner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:06   #10
Montblanc

The USA Glocks are exactly the same as the others. No differences but the markings
Montblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:23   #11
Scott30

In the US, most likely melonite is used instead of tennifer. Same process basically. Does the same thing and the EPA allows it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferritic_nitrocarburizing
Scott30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:09   #12
ca survivor

I understand that, only the frame is made in US.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:41   #13
Shiloh228

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
I understand that, only the frame is made in US.
"frame"?
My G19 has "USA" on the slide, barrel and the receiver, matching S/N on slide, barrel and receiver.
Shiloh228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:28   #14
burttrans

My USA made G26 is all made in the USA and shoots great! Like stated above it looks the same, shoots the same, and feels the same as my Austria made G19 except my G19 has a FDE frame! Love them both G19 by my bed with tactial light and G26 for carry,
burttrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:09   #15
Inebriated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG_34 View Post
Tennifer is not allowed in the US,Im not sure what finish is use here in the US,But the tennifer uses chemicals that are not an allowed process here in the usa(EPA rules)
Glock has apparently stopped using Tenifer. Look at their site... no mention of it. It's my understanding that they do their own hardening treatment now.

They just say "GLOCK applies advanced surface treatments on major metal components, resulting in slightly less than diamond hardness. This considerably reduces wear and tear on these metal components and makes them corrosion resistant, even when operating in saltwater conditions. The matte black surface minimizes light reflection—an advantage in tactical circumstances."

Regardless, my frame and slide both say "USA", and both have the Georgia proof marks. So... they're made here.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
The 21 Club Member #19691

Last edited by Inebriated; 02-06-2013 at 10:11..
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:23   #16
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smidgen View Post
Oops! Lol

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 18:42   #17
haydenBJJ

i just bought a new G26 last week, and upon doing some reading, i come home to look at it further, and it id indeed a USA Glock. G26 gen 3.

I am sure reliability is the same, but does anyone have any thoughts on which one is more valuable (at this point)? I would guess the USA ones will be more rare for awhile, but i'm just guessing.
haydenBJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 20:03   #18
Dan Glock

Quote:
I'd prefer my Glocks to be made in Austria, I'd prefer my Berettas to be made in Italian, and I'd prefer my Sigs to be made in Germany.

I second this. Especially with the SIGs.
Old 04-03-2013, 20:12   #19
GT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydenBJJ View Post
i just bought a new G26 last week, and upon doing some reading, i come home to look at it further, and it id indeed a USA Glock. G26 gen 3.

I am sure reliability is the same, but does anyone have any thoughts on which one is more valuable (at this point)? I would guess the USA ones will be more rare for awhile, but i'm just guessing.
The US made is less common, but not worth any more or less than one made in Austria.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 22:04   #20
iluv2viddyfilms

Quote:

Agreed. And I'll guess it goes without saying you'd want your 1911s made in the USA.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:42   #21
Shepard man

This thread just prompted me to check out my Gen2 17...Austria!
Shepard man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:17   #22
Sohryu76

I will be honest. I got the call on Monday that my first Glock finally arrived At Atlantic Tactical. And I hoped it would be made in the USA. but I am not disappointed that it says Austria on it.

Just glad to have it in my possession now

General Glocking
Sohryu76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:16   #23
Gun Shark

Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark

Quote:

This, that said I am not a major stickler for it. But given the choice I would probably spend a little extra money to get the one made in country of origin.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." --Thomas Jefferson

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."
Gun Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:32   #24
marano

Unpatriotic??? Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerSRT View Post
On another thread, someone posted their Glock was made in the USA. I thought it was really cool and different. I mean, what percentage of Glocks are stamped that way? One person commented he wouldn't want his made in the US, which surprised me. It's a non-issue for me, except one poster said the finish is darker on the US made version when put side by side. Someone commented that the tennifer finish process was not allowed in the US so maybe that's the difference? Not sure if there's any truth to it.
So, I'm interested to know everyone's opinion on made in USA vs. Austria? Are people here that unpatriotic that they'd actually prefer THEIR gun be made elsewhere? Are you saying made in USA isn't good enough for you?
Blind patriotism is for chumps. Buying or actually preferring buying a product not "made in America" is not unpatriotic. I actually would always prefer my Glock's be made in Austria. I don't think I would buy one if I knew it was made here. That is no knock on the American worker. If we were talking pre-sixties America I would probably feel different, just look at a 57 Chevy and then google a Vega and you will see what I mean. I have for instance never owned an American Automobile yet, and it is not because I don't think Americans can produce a quality vehicle, back to the 57 chevy, but corporate America went to profit first, quality later and workers last....and that does not mostly make for good or superior products. I would not want a new Smith & Wesson for instance, I will stick with an Austrian Glock.
marano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:23   #25
21GlockStreet

Should one be wary of USA Glocks made on Monday or Friday?
21GlockStreet is offline   Reply With Quote