Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-05-2013, 13:46   #41
Captain Caveman
a.k.a. DaReaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawG26 View Post
Never noticed the "shoot'em in the nutz" kill box before....Very high speed and low drag...
I've been teaching for 20+yrs..."if you can't kill 'em, don't let 'em BREED"

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanranger View Post
That's not it at all. The military would love to have Glocks but in order to supply the US military, the design has to be open sourced. The army for example buys m-4s from several different suppliers, because they dont want the risk of one source drying up and their being left high and dry on their supply.

Glock has refused to do this, and why shouldn't they? They have more than enough business world wide and they are still backordered. Hell, everyone uses them but us.

Special Forces bypasses normal military channels for procurement; they get whatever they want with a huge budget to boot. So that is why you will see them with HK-416s, glocks, 1911s, or whatever else they feel like.
Beretta only has one plant is the US. Glock has one too.
so they went to the polls and removed all doubt.
Captain Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:58   #42
g2122

Has anyone ever heard of any military units using the G21? I'm just curious since many of these units used 1911s.
g2122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 19:23   #43
ChiTownPicaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFin View Post
What model/caliber is it?
I believe they were trying out Glock 22s. This is why CAG ordered Glock 22 magazines in field dark earth.
ChiTownPicaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 19:26   #44
MrMunster

Send a message via AIM to MrMunster
At a recent armorers course, the instructor kept implying that the grip mods we saw with the RTF and gen4 frames were a direct result of input from an SF group that, "doesn't exist but is very opinionated." Something about extra purchase when gripped with a gloved hand...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

We are all dying; it is only a question of the rate.
MrMunster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 20:27   #45
sgt rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Ahh, the average soldier DOES NEED a manual safety. They needed them in past wars; and they're going to need them in future wars, too. (It's just that, the way things are going, they're not going to have them!)

Hey! See that target? Anybody know where I can get about 50 of them? (I see Ayoob's, 'pelvic girdle shots' are back in vogue.)

http://www.thompsontarget.com/pages/defensetargets.html
sgt rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:11   #46
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Hmmm...you made me sit up and think on this one. Turns out no, not for the pistol, but the magazines seemed to have three different sources. Kind of confused me since the m-4s have had different suppliers.

I know Colt was the main supplier but have heard of FN guns. Now of course Remington is also making them, but that is because the contract with Colt is up...

Maybe I misunderstood and all that is required is the open source of the gun's design. After all, a lot of people make m-4 copies (ar-15s) and Taurus makes a Beretta knock off.

Anyone that can weigh in? I remember that there was a specific reason Gaston refused to participate in glock military trials here.
The military does have plenty of exclusive contracts - not everything has to be "open sourced." Usually, the things made by multiple companies are a design that comes from the gov and the companies just manufacture it. Among current weapons, the M16/M4 are the only things I can think of made by more than one company. FN, Remington, Barrett, Beretta, etc., all have exclusive contracts for weapons.

Last edited by Bren; 02-06-2013 at 05:13..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:44   #47
carbuncle
is not cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
The military does have plenty of exclusive contracts - not everything has to be "open sourced." Usually, the things made by multiple companies are a design that comes from the gov and the companies just manufacture it. Among current weapons, the M16/M4 are the only things I can think of made by more than one company. FN, Remington, Barrett, Beretta, etc., all have exclusive contracts for weapons.
On that same note, who knows the story behind the military trials that resulted in all the cool .45s out there, and which guns are a direct result of that trial process?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:56   #48
DFin

Wasn't there a SF unit that was using G-21's a few years ago?
DFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:22   #49
jwest1967

Quote:
That's not it at all. The military would love to have Glocks but in order to supply the US military, the design has to be open sourced. The army for example buys m-4s from several different suppliers, because they dont want the risk of one source drying up and their being left high and dry on their supply.

Glock has refused to do this, and why shouldn't they? They have more than enough business world wide and they are still backordered. Hell, everyone uses them but us.

Special Forces bypasses normal military channels for procurement; they get whatever they want with a huge budget to boot. So that is why you will see them with HK-416s, glocks, 1911s, or whatever else they feel like.
Glock does have an National Stock Number and can be ordered though the normal procurement system.
jwest1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:33   #50
jwest1967

Quote:

And BTW the NSN for a Glock 17 is
NSN 1005-01-571-9875
jwest1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:34   #51
DEADEYEGUY

Yes it's a shot to the pelvis to drop someone. Somtimes referred to as a "mobility stop". But a famous F.B.I. Agent from many years ago named Jelly Bryce once was heard to say somethimg to the effect of "I have never shot a man in the nuts and had him stand up afterwards".
DEADEYEGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:36   #52
The Fist Of Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawG26 View Post
Never noticed the "shoot'em in the nutz" kill box before....Very high speed and low drag...
Pelvic girdle. If you are shooting at the level some of those guys shoot, it is a good place to put someone down without killing them. They'll probably be ****ting in a bag, but they can be squeezed for intel.

DEADEYE beat me to it.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by The Fist Of Goodness; 02-06-2013 at 10:42..
The Fist Of Goodness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:53   #53
Reissman

Personally I would rather our military use an American gun manufacture.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Reissman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 16:01   #54
TACLOAD

I would take a 17 or 19 over the M9 any day of the week.

“World peace must develop from inner peace. Peace is not just the mere absence of violence. Peace is, I think is the manifestation of human compassion.”
― Dalai Lama XIV
TACLOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 17:44   #55
spartanranger

Just because something is made in america does not make it the best.
spartanranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 19:05   #56
akapennypincher
Glock-O-Holic

When I was in the Marine Corps during the time we were playing Policemen in SE Asia, in the Republic of Viet Nam. U.S.M.C. Force Recon had their own armory, and it was pack full of stuff line Marine did not have. The M-14 was replaced with the M-16 for Line aka Grunt Marines, but the Force Recon Teams carried the M-16, Mini 16's, M-14's, BAR's, and even a few chose to carry AK-47's and other interesting things.

Just don’t get you panties wet if you see some Special Forces Personal carrying Unconventional Weapons, as they are Special People who have a lot more training than the want to be Keyboard Commandos on Gun Forums.

Most of the Special Op Personal will never brag about what they did, how many kills they had, or were they were. If they have chest full of medals it is from doing a job well, being recognized for what was just doing their job, and most care little about the recognition, or the medals.
akapennypincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 19:22   #57
Seawolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by akapennypincher View Post
When I was in the Marine Corps during the time we were playing Policemen in SE Asia, in the Republic of Viet Nam. U.S.M.C. Force Recon had their own armory, and it was pack full of stuff line Marine did not have. The M-14 was replaced with the M-16 for Line aka Grunt Marines, but the Force Recon Teams carried the M-16, Mini 16's, M-14's, BAR's, and even a few chose to carry AK-47's and other interesting things.

Just don’t get you panties wet if you see some Special Forces Personal carrying Unconventional Weapons, as they are Special People who have a lot more training than the want to be Keyboard Commandos on Gun Forums.

Most of the Special Op Personal will never brag about what they did, how many kills they had, or were they were. If they have chest full of medals it is from doing a job well, being recognized for what was just doing their job, and most care little about the recognition, or the medals.

Wow dude. I am going to assume English is not your first language. lol
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - كافر - WOLVERINES! - Rule#2 Double Tap
Seawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 20:15   #58
Ruggles

Nothing wrong with the Glock but why pay to replace the Berettas in use when they serve perfectly fine? I really don't see any benefit to doing so.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 18:59   #59
akapennypincher
Glock-O-Holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
Wow dude. I am going to assume English is not your first language. lol
Nope English was shall we say not my best subject in School, but I got to retire at 50 from years of self employment. So what I was good at paid off....LOL
akapennypincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 19:01   #60
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reissman View Post
Personally I would rather our military use an American gun manufacture.

Some Glocks are now made in GA USA.