Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-05-2013, 18:11   #1
Skytow

Time to get creative...

So I need some .308 WIN brass and anything that isn't $1.00 case is sold out. New to the .308 but not new to reloading, So...

I started to hunt for related cases like 7mm-08, 260 REM, .243 well, those are sold out too! OK, ok, I can get Lapua for $ 1.06/ case, I'm not that desperate yet.

Are there any odd ball calibers I should be hunting that I missed?

Thanks,

JD
Skytow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:19   #2
DanaT
Pharaoh

338 Rem Ultra Mag

I saw tons of the big bullets today.

Actually I saw plenty of 308 bullets, just not plinking bullets. The $30/box bullets.
2x4=8, not 14.
Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:31   #3
oneofthose

Times like these you find out who your friends are. It's a tough time to get into a new caliber.
Old 02-05-2013, 19:20   #4
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytow View Post
So I need some .308 WIN brass and anything that isn't $1.00 case is sold out. New to the .308 but not new to reloading, So...

I started to hunt for related cases like 7mm-08, 260 REM, .243 well, those are sold out too! OK, ok, I can get Lapua for $ 1.06/ case, I'm not that desperate yet.

Are there any odd ball calibers I should be hunting that I missed?

Thanks,

JD

I guess it depends on what you are loading. If you're making something for an M1A, the cheapest brass is probably best because you will be full-length resizing.

OTOH, I don't find Lapua brass to be completely unreasonable for precision rifle. I will certainly get several reloads from each case and that brings the cost per round down pretty well. For these rounds, I only neck size. If I were of a mind to anneal the shoulder and neck, these cases might last a good long time.

For precision rifle, 100 cases is a lot. For the M1A, it takes a lot more. So far, I shoot NATO surplus in that one.

Have you searched Google for 'once fired .308 brass'? It looks like this outfit has some in stock:
http://www.btbrass.com/

You can get on the backorder list here:
http://www.topbrass-inc.com/reloadin...?category_id=1

I haven't been to the range in a month or so but I would think you could find plenty of brass laying around. Our range picks it up and sells it but they don't stop a person from just grabbing it off the ground.

Richard

Last edited by F106 Fan; 02-05-2013 at 19:21..
F106 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 20:39   #5
dkf

The .338Federal and the .358win should be able to be necked down to .308. The .308 is a parent case for both.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 20:43   #6
Skytow

Thanks for the replies. My efforts are for my Remington 700 so 100 pieces or so would go a fairly long way.

I suppose I should go for the Lapua based on quality anyway! My inner cheapskate is recoiling!

I thought about the surplus brass and thank you for the link. My current loads are for commercial Winchester brass which, prior to the panic, was about the same price as surplus brass but it was new...

FWIW, there is NO rifle brass ever left at the very active range at which I shoot. Once in a long while I'll score some .223 and, naturally, there is all the 9 mm I care to pick up.

I did find some very reasonable new commercial .243 which I could neck up to .308 but that is a stretch - anyone ever go that route?

Strangely, I've always reloaded for multiple guns so always full length resized. This 700 though is my only .308. If I do start annealing and neck-sizing only how many times is reasonable to reload?

Thanks,

JD
Skytow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 22:31   #7
F106 Fan

Quote:
Strangely, I've always reloaded for multiple guns so always full length resized. This 700 though is my only .308. If I do start annealing and neck-sizing only how many times is reasonable to reload?

Thanks,

JD
Hoser knows the answer to annealing, perhaps he'll stop by.

I'm not sure you won't see the primer pocket loosen up before you need to worry about annealing. I hand prime my precision rifle brass so I think I'll know when the primer pocket has expanded.

I have two sets of Lapua .308 brass. One for my Rem 700 and the other for my Steyr SSG. I keep the brass separated and, of course, the ammo boxes are labeled.

Now if I would just get organized enough to document how many times the brass has been loaded.

Richard
Old 02-05-2013, 22:33   #8
fredj338

Quote:
I did find some very reasonable new commercial .243 which I could neck up to .308 but that is a stretch - anyone ever go that route?

Thanks,

JD
Since it is for a bolt gun, I would just pony up for the Lapua. I use Lapua 243 brass to neck up to make 260AI for my 700. I can get 10+ reloads out of a case neck sizing, more if I anneal at that point. You can certainly neck up 7-08, 243 might give you too thin a case neck to hold the bullet well. Only way to no is try. I have necked 308 to 338 in one pass. You may be able to go w/ 243, but need to expand it to 7mm first then up to 308. A lot of work when factory cases can be had. Lapua is my #1 pick for precision brass, then RWS, then Norma or Nosler custom, then Hornady, then Win, then RP. I do NOT like Federal brass in any flavor. Also if you find any IMI brass, also very good.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote