Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-05-2013, 20:06   #1
kreplach

Ammo or Firing pin Spring

Went to the local range Saturday and fired my .45 acp G30. I was shooting mostly commercial reloads using both the G30 and a Colt OM .45.

I also shot my carry mags, for both guns, that had Hornaday Critical defense rounds. I believe they were from the same box. Anyhow I had two hang-fires(?)/misfires(?). The primers had good deep impact marks but the rounds never went off. I have never had that happen before and it was a little scary.

These are supposed to be self defense rounds and are not cheap. My immediate guess is I got a bad box of ammo, but I was wondering how frequently Glock's have firing pin springs that are too weak and how often they need changing This gun does not have 1000 rounds through it and I never had this trouble with any of my Colts.

I have written Hornaday but have had no response. Needless to say I will never carry this brand again and I now have one expensive box of .45 range ammo and 1.5 boxes of expensive 9mm range ammo.

Does anyone know if there is a way to test the firing pin force or spring force? My guess is that it was the ammo but you can never be too cautious with carry guns. Does the fact that all of the reloads were fine prove that the factory ammo was bad?

I test the Colts after cleaning by "firing" a pencil but doing that with the Glock doesn't really do much.

Anybody got any advise?? Should I install an extra power spring or just a OEM spring? or could it be the FP?
kreplach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 20:21   #2
bigtimelarry

I use the Jager Strikers in all my Glocks. They are .003 longer tip. I run it with a 4.5lb Wolff FP Spring and never have a light strike.
bigtimelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 21:10   #3
cciman

"Never" and "always" just means that not enough shots have been fired.

If this is a used gun, then try detail striping, and flushing out the firing pin channel with brake cleaner and swap out with a Q tip type device. If there is lot of crud inside than that is the most likely reason. If you want extra insurance, than go with a Xtra Power Wolf striker spring.

Brand name and cost does not necessarily mean it will work in your particular gun.

I would go ahead and sell your ammo for lack of confidence, and switch to Speer.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 21:13   #4
cciman

Deep indents would indicate that the striker is doing what it is supposed to... thus an Ammo issue.

or lube or oil got into the primer.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 21:17   #5
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

My revolver will not shoot Mag Tech for the same reasons. Deep dents in the primer but many failure to fire. All but one has fired after repeated strikes. I just avoid the particular ammo.

Other Name brands have fired 100% of the time with much less denting of the primer. I can, and do, use Hornaday for CCW.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:58   #6
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Did you say, 'Hornaday Critical Defense'? This is exactly what I have been hearing about Hornady ammunition; and, 'Why' I will not carry it. Switch to another brand of commonly available self-defense ammo like: Federal, CCI/Speer, or Remington, 'Golden Saber'. The problem should disappear.
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote